PDA

View Full Version : 95 540I Clutch Replacement

Wilbranka
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi--

Does anyone have any advice on a 6 speed clutch replacement. Basically are there any problems I might come upon changing the clutch on my 540I? Does the exhaust have to come completely off? Is there any non-standard tooling that is needed inside the bellhousing? I am aware of the fact that I will need Torx sockets on the outer bellhousing.

Thanks for any support,

Bill

saluki540i
04-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Just make sure your kit includes the alignment tool, and use a torque wrench on the installation to the flywheel. If you have to remove the flywheel for any reason, you will need a "special" long reach T-60 bit and an impact to remove it. Ask me how I know. While you are there, it's a good time to inspect the rear area of the cylinder heads for any leaks or seepage.

DueyT
04-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Bill, you will need an input shaft seal puller (pulls the shaft seal out without damaging the bearing BMW p/n 90 88 6 230 490). A clutch alignment tool (dowel) might be required to line up all the component. I can't recall where the next break in the exhaust is after the header collectors...probably somewhere after the cats, so there will be a fair bit of exhaust comming off, I would think.

Cheers,
Duey

Wilbranka
04-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the replies to my question. I will be attempting this next week.

Sincerely,

Bill