PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever had this happen?

romus
04-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Started off the lights in first, after the shift to second I noticed no power. ABS light came on, and at first moment I thought the car stalled but then I had around 1000 RPM and that wouldn't change no matter how deep I depressed the accelerator. I "crawled" out of the traffic's way and the car stalled as soon as I took foot off the accelerator. Turned key again, it started beautifully and that's it, I was on my way again. I've had this happen once before, about 5-6 months ago.

Some of you also know about my as yet unfixed problem with cold/hot starts. It would start cold and hot 100 times and then one time it'll have problem starting. Be it cold or hot, doesn't matter. I have to wait a minute or two and then it starts within a second, problem goes away by itself.

Do these two issues have common source? Has anyone had this that could point me in the right direction? I've had people on here suggesting things about the starting problems but everything pointed out turned to be fine. Now I hope this new thing might help someone help me.

Thanks heaps, guys

Paul in NZ
04-12-2006, 02:11 AM
About the same frequecy as you i have trouble starting but it seems to be a "warm" starting problem....BMW NZ says its a ecu problem.my car is very similar vintage to yours,assembled 12/89 535 manual

romus
04-12-2006, 02:37 AM
hmm. It started with a starting problem once every 2-3 months, but recently it got a lot more frequent.

You never had the stalling-while-driving problem? Then again there might not be a connection between the two.

genphreak
04-12-2006, 03:26 AM
hmm. It started with a starting problem once every 2-3 months, but recently it got a lot more frequent.

You never had the stalling-while-driving problem? Then again there might not be a connection between the two.Check your fusible link, I bet you have an occasional voltage loss in a critical circuit. Probably best to wait for it to get worse so you can troubleshoot with it faulting, but the fusible link is worth checking always. The ABS light happens to come on when the car's voltage drops a lot- that should mean it appears with the battery light, but as one tends to expect that when the engine is 'stalling' (and recovers afterwards) we seldom remark on it coming on too...

There may be other causes I am not aware of tho, I could guess a few but there are others with more exp that can better my guesses. :) Nick