PDA

View Full Version : cost estimate rear beer cans?

Russell
04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Or sub frame bushings, In terms of parts and labor time/cost at an independent? I may do this soon. Cound not find an idea of time involved in the archives. From the archives, I found Ido not want to do this myself without proper tools.

BTW, I have Bruno's subframe inserts which help wanter/swaysomewhat. However, I think there is some lateral movement remaining. The sub frame bushings are original as are most front/rear suspension parts. I have only replaced my front struts, front sway bar links and rear dogbones

Alan_525i
04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
It depends on how hard it is for the shop to get them out. It can be a 2 hour job or a 6 hour job. They don't know until they do it. If i were you, I'd get the shop to committ to a price that you are comfortable with and leave it at that even if it takes them much less time.

Robin-535im
04-11-2006, 11:31 AM
It's really easy to do if you rent the tool from Koala. I'd bet the $70 to rent it for the weekend would be cheaper than the hours they'd charge at the indy.

Follow the instructions on Bruno's site (slightly different and slightly better than the instructions that come with the tool) and you can get it done in only 1-2 beers.

632 Regal
04-11-2006, 11:53 AM
how big are your beers?
It's really easy to do if you rent the tool from Koala. I'd bet the $70 to rent it for the weekend would be cheaper than the hours they'd charge at the indy.

Follow the instructions on Bruno's site (slightly different and slightly better than the instructions that come with the tool) and you can get it done in only 1-2 beers.

Russell
04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Now Now! I should have known this was coming. But NO! I thought everyone would be very-veryvery "professional". But I was wrong :)

OOPs looks like I missed the beer remark and I missnderstood the subject of your comment. Either way OK.

Russell
04-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Koala still rent tools? I had heard they do not. Think I will check

dacoyote
04-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Whit would know for sure.. but I am 99.99% sure they don't rent tools anymore

MBXB
04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Here's how it's done with a Sawzall:

http://www.tycksen.com/bmw/tech/subframe/index.php?session=nudY24bh04RndJKvYmZGw3itv2

onewhippedpuppy
04-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Gotta love the sawzall, who the hell needs the proper tools?

Robin-535im
04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Perhaps they no longer do. I rented it 2+ years ago... I *think* I returned it...

Jeff N.
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Getting it out is easy. It's the pressing it in that's the trick.

I used the tool when I did mine (that's my car on Bruno's page). If you can't get the tool, you can fabricate one up. There's been postings in the past on how you can make one.

The only trick with this job is getting a tool that will work. Other than that it's very simple. However, no tool = major PITA.

I suspect shops get a lot of money for this job because either a) they don't have the tool and have to fight through it with extra time or b) they have purchased the tool and know it costs an arm and a leg and thus charge accordingly.