PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Zimmerman and PBR Ceramic Pads Installed

Qube
04-11-2006, 08:06 AM
http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/c2/48/90_1_b.JPG

Did them last week. Unlike everything else I've done, it was quite easy. Unfortunately, it's starting to squeal and groan like an elephant at low speed rolling stop. Assuming install is good, I'm going to bear with it for a little before considering any anti-squeal.

tim s
04-11-2006, 08:30 AM
tim s.

632 Regal
04-11-2006, 08:50 AM
do you have to bed them PBR's? the raybestos QS require no bed in procedure....which is why I chose them.

Qube
04-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I haven't completed the break-in yet... it's going to be done today.

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph (50 kph) down to about 10 mph (15 kph) using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops. After the 10th stop, allow 15 minutes for your braking system to cool down.

Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph (80 kph) down to 10 mph (15 kph). After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.

During Steps 1 & 2, a de-gassing process occurs which may produce an odor coming from your pads as they complete the break-in cycle. This odor is normal and is part of the process your pads must go through to achieve their ultimate level of performance. The odor will go away after allowing your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes.

Full seating of your new brake pads normally occurs within 1,000 miles.

632 Regal
04-11-2006, 10:34 AM
thats the procedure that probably induced the heat cracks on my last set of pads!

I haven't completed the break-in yet... it's going to be done today.

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph (50 kph) down to about 10 mph (15 kph) using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops. After the 10th stop, allow 15 minutes for your braking system to cool down.

Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph (80 kph) down to 10 mph (15 kph). After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.

During Steps 1 & 2, a de-gassing process occurs which may produce an odor coming from your pads as they complete the break-in cycle. This odor is normal and is part of the process your pads must go through to achieve their ultimate level of performance. The odor will go away after allowing your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes.

Full seating of your new brake pads normally occurs within 1,000 miles.

ssimms
04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Actually I just purchased and bedded in this exact pad on my '92 535i. I think they are awesome (using new non-cross drilled Brembo rotors), however, I used a different bedding in method. I have used this in the past with good success on my BMW's and my new MINI Cooper.

Make 3 consecutive panic type stops from 80 MPH down to 25 or 30 MPH. After these stops (no time is specified between stops, so expect some fade at those temperatures.) Drive home leisurely, using moderate pressure when required, allow pads and calipers, etc to cool to ambient air temperature and your are done. Oh yes, you will smell the brakes when you get home but, don't worry that is normal.
I guarantee no more squeeling after this and I received awesome wear on my last set of pads and rotors. (100,000 miles with a few track experiences thrown in) Brakes are working well after 3,000 miles and I expect them to last at least as long as the last ones. (I have 60 miles of highway commute with little or no braking everyday)
Good Luck, I really like the quality of the PBR products.
By the way this bedding proceedure works well towards the end of the life or anywhere in between if your brakes start squeeling. It destroys the glazing that sometimes builds-up on rotors and pads. The degassing helps renew the feel for me. (I have only had this happen once on the factory pads of my MINI)

Scott

Tiger
04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
That's wrong... and way too much heat. Will cause squeal.

I do it on highway... 50 MPH... slow to 40... braking very very lightly...let go and wait a minute before doing that again... do for 4 times is all you need.

632 Regal
04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
matters on the pads, some need bedding some dont. I did the axxis bedding, heat cracked all the pads and am done with that nonsence. went toth Bill R's recommendation and hopefully im done.

That's wrong... and way too much heat. Will cause squeal.

I do it on highway... 50 MPH... slow to 40... braking very very lightly...let go and wait a minute before doing that again... do for 4 times is all you need.

Anton CH.
04-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Qube, how is the quality (dust + pedal feel) on these pads. I am actually shopping for PBR/Axxis Ultimate right now.

Brandon J
04-11-2006, 08:14 PM
That and your screwed up caliper pistons.

thats the procedure that probably induced the heat cracks on my last set of pads!

araine901
04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I have these pads on my 911 and love them. Cant wait until I need new pads on the 540, becuase that is what I am going to install

632 Regal
04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Brandon, theres nothing wrong with the pistons.

That and your screwed up caliper pistons.

dacoyote
04-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Brandon, theres nothing wrong with the pistons, save your attacks for in person where you can really show your personality. (I have deleted you from email and the rest of contact cause your an ass)

wow.... Jeff... no more drinking and posting

Brandon J
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I wasn't talking about the brakes....hahaha

Brandon, theres nothing wrong with the pistons.

Tiger
04-12-2006, 10:32 AM
I got it... very dusty. Pedal feel is like OEM.

632 Regal
04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
leave my chickens outta this!
I wasn't talking about the brakes....hahaha