PDA

View Full Version : Thrust arm installs

dcbimmer
03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I ordered the thrust arms with the 750i bushings from BWA. I tried to get my mechanic to install them on Saturday. I was told that they won't work unless you grind the bushing down. Is that fact or fiction? Do I need to find another mechanic to work on my car? Is the install as hard as he states.

mholbrook
03-22-2004, 02:36 PM
They come from BMA with the bushing already installed in the arm. Your mechanic is probably thinking that you ordered them separately in which case he is correct. When you receive them, show them to him and he will probably be ok with it. Remember he is not making any money off your parts when you order from BMA. Some places charge extra for installing "customer parts" because the profit on parts and labor is factored into keeping the shop open.

If you are handy, you can change these yourself. It helps a lot to have a lift and it should be about 1.5 to 2.0 hours of shop time.

Mike Holbrook

Bruno
03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
You have to grind the bushing on the E28... not the E34. This is a direct fit on the E34.
The install is pretty easy, should take him around 1.5 hour or less to do both sides with the right tools

PatrickPGH
03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
AFAIK in Pennsylvania at least, it is illegal for a mechanic to charge more than cost for parts. If there is time involved in sourcing parts then that can be billed.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Patrick

They come from BMA with the bushing already installed in the arm. Your mechanic is probably thinking that you ordered them separately in which case he is correct. When you receive them, show them to him and he will probably be ok with it. Remember he is not making any money off your parts when you order from BMA. Some places charge extra for installing "customer parts" because the profit on parts and labor is factored into keeping the shop open.

If you are handy, you can change these yourself. It helps a lot to have a lift and it should be about 1.5 to 2.0 hours of shop time.

Mike Holbrook

MO525
03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I ordered the thrust arms with the 750i bushings from BWA. I tried to get my mechanic to install them on Saturday. I was told that they won't work unless you grind the bushing down. Is that fact or fiction? Do I need to find another mechanic to work on my car? Is the install as hard as he states.

Torquing them down for the last time.
I just replaced mine with the BMA items (EXCELLENT part and price!).
The removal and install was EASY.
Sure tightened up the front end.

I couldn't accurately torque down the front end-per Bentley-so I took it to a local indy shop. They loaded and torqued the car for one hour's labor.
WELL worth it!!!!

mholbrook
03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Retail price for parts is very high. A mechanic can charge over wholesale but not over retail, right? That leaves a pretty big gap. BMA pricing is a couple percent over wholesale. Thus, when you bring in the BMA thrust arms that cost $90.00 each with the bushing, the mechanic does not get to charge you the retail price for the parts which is just north of $200 each. Aluminum are about $282 each.

That is a disparity in parts pricing but it is legal, i.e. advertised retail.

Mike Holbrook