PDA

View Full Version : Can I make it speak German?

sKilled
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Is it possible to change the language of the display on the instrument cluster? I want it to give me the messages in German as both my girlfriend and I are fluent (she also speaks italian, french and spanish - makes me feel inadequate!). If so, how? Thanks in advance!

Zeuk in Oz
04-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Is it possible to change the language of the display on the instrument cluster? I want it to give me the messages in German as both my girlfriend and I are fluent (she also speaks italian, french and spanish - makes me feel inadequate!). If so, how? Thanks in advance!

Short answer YES.
I can't remember exactly how to do it though.
If its not in the owner's manual, do a search on this forum.
Other way to achieve it is to disconnect the battery and, at least here in Oz, it defaults to German. Make sure you have the radio code if you go this way though. If you are in the States it might default to English - not sure.
Edit : just noticed you are in NZ - probably same as here in Oz- probably defaults to German.
Good opportunity to do a shogun reset perhaps ?

cschollum
04-10-2006, 03:40 PM

1. Turn the ignition key to position one (first click).

2. Push and hold down the cc button (right one) on the instrument cluster.

3. After 10 seconds or so in the cc display will appear a language name. If you want this language turn off the ignition and it is done. If you donīt want this language go again to step 2...

sKilled
04-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Cool thanks - might make it speak italian some time to confuse my girlfriend!

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Everytime she uses the car, I stick it in german, OBC & dash all go into it.

sKilled
04-10-2006, 04:22 PM

LOL nice, unfortunately my girlfriend is born German, raised Italian, speaks also french, spanish and some albanian (from her grandad). I don't think there is any language, apart from arabic or asian, which would have that effect.:( Would be sooooo much fun (especially untile I replace the coolant level meter and the brake lining sensor which I broke on Sunday).

shogun
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Dann spricht sie sogar mehr Sprachen als ich, und das ist sehr selten.
Aber ich spreche auch noch Japanisch und ein wenig Chinesisch. ;)

632 Regal
04-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Hahahaha....

shogun
04-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Try British English, I think she will also be confused. Low beam will be dip beam I think. Trunk might be boot etc.

The available languages are: English UK, English US, French, German, Italian, Spanish

sKilled
04-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Try British English, I think she will also be confused. Low beam will be dip beam I think. Trunk might be boot etc.

The available languages are: English UK, English US, French, German, Italian, Spanish

We live in NZ, so we use British english, but she also knows enough Amerikanski. BTW Shogun, are you in Japan? Where? Mate of mine is in Sapporo on exchange for a year currently buried in the snow.

Nick.Hay
04-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Also make sure you can read the important messages (ie brake failure, overheating, large moose ahead etc), stuff that could be detrimental to the car, or your life!!

Was well cool having my car talking to me in German... til it started saying stuff I didn't understand!! :(

sKilled
04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
That won't be a problem - German is my first language, although my very first word was, according to my mum, in english - apparently I looked at her with my big brown eyes and a sad face and said "dinner". Go figure.

shogun
04-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Shogun, are you in Japan? Where? Mate of mine is in Sapporo on exchange for a year currently buried in the snow.

I live in the center of Tokyo, about 1000 km south of Sapporo.
And my cars I have at my parents in law north of Tokyo, near Tsukuba Science City, about 70 km drive. Only one parking lot I have here in Tokyo and that already costs me about 400 US $/month.
Here is were we are working on the cars
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/shogun/750il_delivery.jpg
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/original/BBQMeeting
and the last delivered one for parts, 750iL from 03/1994
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/take/CIMG4143.jpg

sKilled
04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
How cool. Spent 20 hours in Tokyo on a lay-over on my way to Italy in December. I fell in love with the city - it's damn clean and organised, but not in a sterile way. Akihabara was so cool (although not that much cheaper than most claim). Am trying to convince my girlfriend for us to move to Tokyo for a year or two as language teachers so we can bolster our wallets before moving to Europe. BTW thanks for the great write ups!