PDA

View Full Version : jumping speedo-meter

TWISM
04-10-2006, 01:01 PM
The needle of my speedo-meter began to jump around today...

After driving about 50km, I came to a stop. The needle jumped to around 100km/h once or twice while I was standing still!

After the first time, it happend a few times more at the stoplights.
Even after the car was shut down for about 20 minutes.
After my bankbussiness I got back to my car, started the car, drove to the first stoplight (about 50 meters) and he began again jumping up and down once or twice...

Is this a problem with the sensor in the differantial??

Felixdacat
04-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I just replaced all the capps in my cluster, and everything was fine for a week. Today my speedo stopped working. Turned off the car drove about two miles, and started working again. I'm wondering the same thing also. Is there a problem with the sensor? I also noticed that when I'm racing, it will start to act up. If you find out anything before a post let me know. Thanks.....Derek

cschollum
04-10-2006, 01:56 PM
the sensor is in the rear diff, and gets clogged up with debris, or becomes faulty or has dodgy wires

it will cause erronious readings and cause the speedo needle to do odd things

remove it, give it a clean, you will find its magnetic and will have attracted metal shavings - clean these off and put it back in

Felixdacat
04-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks. I guess this is a common problem.

TWISM
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
thnx!! I will try that as soon as possible!!

Alexlind123
04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Why do you need a speedometer when youre racing?

TWISM
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Why do you need a speedometer when youre racing?

who says I'm Racing?? :S

Rustam
04-13-2006, 10:34 PM
The needle of my speedo-meter began to jump around today...

After driving about 50km, I came to a stop. The needle jumped to around 100km/h once or twice while I was standing still!

After the first time, it happend a few times more at the stoplights.
Even after the car was shut down for about 20 minutes.
After my bankbussiness I got back to my car, started the car, drove to the first stoplight (about 50 meters) and he began again jumping up and down once or twice...

Is this a problem with the sensor in the differantial??

I had this problem once. The simplest thing to check first is the connectors on the back of the unit. Mine were loose - I pushed them in and the problem was solved.

Felixdacat
04-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I like to compare my speed to possible problems I may have with the car, and I listen to the engine at various speeds. Also it's fun to see how fast I get the car too. 145 tops so far.