PDA

View Full Version : 94 530i

lrg122
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I currently have a 99 Mercedes C230 Kompressor and I am looking at a 94-95 530i. How is the 3.0 V8 in this car? Any problems or complaints? Anything else I should know or look for when purchasing this car. Thanks a lot

Alex S.

P.S.
Are there any other suggestions about a better series or engine?

632 Regal
04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
ohh boy, lots of stuff to look for... maintenance records are a start, independant inspection by a qualified mechanic with experience with the E34, the list is endless as you will see by tonight. lol

Tiger
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I'd rather keep the MB than 530i... 540i is the way to go... but test drive it long enough to see if you really like it.

Traian
04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd rather keep the MB than 530i

Blasphemy

ThoreauHD
04-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I have the 530i with a V8, and I would say that it has much power. The 540 would be a better bet just because you'll have all the power you'll ever want. You will want to follow the previous advice of a full used car inspection by a non-affiliated(with the car purchase) experienced bmw service tech. You will also want to join the bmwcca if you haven't already. You will get 10-20% discounts on your inspection and/or repairs.

If you get the 530, I would recommend that you get the conforti ECU chip and use 91 or better octane. It gives it a smoother ride and better shifting/acceleration. www.turnermotorsport.com has the chip as well as others. The EAT chip for this model is currently being worked on. It makes a tremendous difference in feel and performance as well as better gas mileage. With this chip, and your foot to the floor, your head will be properly pushed back in the seat when you need it to be.

All things being equal, having a low mileage well maintained car would be ideal. And I would opt for the 540i just because it has more horsepower. But do you need it? Who cares. If you're gonna do it, you might as well go for broke. There isn't a big price difference, if any.

And no, I would not keep the Kompressor over the 530/540. There is only an upside in all directions with the 530/540. The Kompressor won't scare ricers. The 540, properly tuned, will.

I have yet to strain the V8 on this car, and I'm a bit scared to see how fast it can go. I hit 2500RPM at 70MPH and not even notice that I'm moving. It's very smooth. With the chip, I can reach 7000RPM, but I'm pretty sure that wil land me in prison- so I can't tell you how it performs at those speeds.

One word of caution, if you have any questions please post it on the forums. It will save you alot of time and money. Also, please look through the forums as they have some 530/540 models for sale here. And if you get a car anywhere, it would be best to get it here- due to price and maintenance. These guys are obsessive compulsives with the upkeep of their cars. Good luck.

lrg122
04-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for youe help, I need all the info I can get cause I want to find as nice a 5 series as my budget will allow. I must say the guys on this forum are really nice and very helpfull. I was reading through the threads and I was impressed at how helpfull and tame everybody was. I am on forums for my MB and they are completely different....lol which im sure you guys would expect. Thanks a lot, you will be hearing a lot from me.

Alex S.