PDA

View Full Version : Head rest not moving!!!!!!

Calico_NC
04-10-2006, 09:47 AM
When trying to adjust my headrest, the thing stopped working. I can hear the motor running, but the headrest isn't moving. I took off the back panel to the seat and looked around, but i dont know what the hell im doing. HELP ME OUT!

Kulasstar
04-10-2006, 09:50 AM
yes someone please help out Calico...because i have the same problem:D

GoldenEagleFan
04-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Should cost about $3.00 to fix. I had the same problem. The outer sheath streches and the inner steel cable then comes out of the drive mechanism. Remove the cover from the rear of the front seat. You will then see the cable running from the motor to the headrest drive mechanism. Carefully cut the outer sheath and remove approximately 3/8" of the piece. Slide a piece of fuel line over the outer sheath along with two hose clamps. Slide the steel cable back in place. Have someone run the motor while your pushing on the metal line and it should reingage with the drive mechanism. Move the outer fuel line in place and clamp. I know there is a another thread here with some pictures that should help clear it up.

Gearhead
05-10-2006, 04:21 AM
No kidding?!? I bet that's the same reason my lumbar adjustment isn't working either. I can hear the motor, but nothing moves. It appears everything down there is run of cables. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight...

Bill R.
05-10-2006, 04:29 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13754

When trying to adjust my headrest, the thing stopped working. I can hear the motor running, but the headrest isn't moving. I took off the back panel to the seat and looked around, but i dont know what the hell im doing. HELP ME OUT!

Ross
05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Another perhaps easier way is to remove the cable at the motor,remove the felt lubricator and cut it to half it's original length. Now cut off a bit of the metal on the end of the cable with a miniature tubing cutter. Save this piece,split it with a side cutter so it can be used as a shim to hold the cable behind the clamp closer to the motor.

Removing the motor is easy if you release the seat cover from a few of the tangs. Removing the mechanism that moves the headrest is a royal pain. The clamp that holds it is all but inaccessable. If you go this far just poke your phillips screwdriver through the cushioning to remove the screw, push up on the whole works to release the clamp and pull it down and out. Reassembly will be apparent once you have it out.
Hope it's only the cable!

E34 530
05-10-2006, 08:33 PM
How does the back of the seat come off?? Any screws, or it just pries off. I have the same exact problem. Kind of weird because they worked fine and then all of a sudden they stopped working within 2 days of each other.

gale
05-11-2006, 12:03 AM
How does the back of the seat come off?? Any screws, or it just pries off. I have the same exact problem. Kind of weird because they worked fine and then all of a sudden they stopped working within 2 days of each other.

2 screws on either side near the bottom of the seatback, then pry off at the bottom edge (skip the armrest portion)

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_34.htm

E34 530
05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
How do you get the damn cables off?? I unscrewed the screw that holds the motor in place, but the cable wouldn't budge. Do you have to remove the motor to get the cable out? btw Gale, there are no screws on the e34. It's just held on by 4 clips.

E34 530
05-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Anyone willing to tell me this?? I looked in the Bentley and couldn't find anything.

Bill R.
05-21-2006, 08:14 AM
pic do you want?http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpost.php?p=91647&postcount=4

Anyone willing to tell me this?? I looked in the Bentley and couldn't find anything.

E34 530
05-21-2006, 08:18 AM
lol, I printed out your description and had the pages right next to me when I was doing it. I don't know if I wasn't pulling hard enough on the cable or something. Can you just classify for a newb, you don't have to remove the motor correct?

Bill R.
05-21-2006, 08:29 AM
cable to the motor, then move the motor slightly sideways and pull the cable out. Its the bracket that holds the cable into the motor.

lol, I printed out your description and had the pages right next to me when I was doing it. I don't know if I wasn't pulling hard enough on the cable or something. Can you just classify for a newb, you don't have to remove the motor correct?

E34 530
05-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your help Bill. My dumb ass thought there was only 1 screw holding the motor in. It was a bitch tryin to get the other one back in place because of the motor location, but the project turned out great and now both headrests work. I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out- Andrew