PDA

View Full Version : M50 valve cover torque specs??

Jon K
03-22-2004, 11:48 AM
I am going to do this job later today. What does the Bentley manual say about torque specs on the valve cover? Also, what spark plugs are generally recommended for this motor? I know the Bosch +4 are ill-advised. Thanks.

AZ_Jason_S
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
I don't know what the Bentley says but as I recall its 82 INCH-pounds. (not ft-lbs) Make sure you have the correct torque wrench for this spec. Also I believe you start with the center fasteners and crosswise work your way to the outside fasteners. When I changed my plugs, I used the NGK's.

gearhead141
03-22-2004, 01:29 PM
The plugs you need for the M50 engine are Bosch F7 L DCR or an equivalent. The torque on the cover bolts is 89 in-lb. It's a very straight forward replacement and shouldn't take you more than a half hour.

Erich M.

Jon K
03-22-2004, 01:58 PM
The plugs you need for the M50 engine are Bosch F7 L DCR or an equivalent. The torque on the cover bolts is 89 in-lb. It's a very straight forward replacement and shouldn't take you more than a half hour.

Erich M.

I got the Bosch Platinum 2's, will these do?

AZ_Jason_S
03-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Were they spec'd for your car? Did your parts-retailer tell you they were correct? I used the NGK's because I always hear controversial stuff about Bosch plugs. I'm not saying they are good or bad. I've used NGK's in almost every car/truck/motorcycle/watercraft I have ever owned. BMA sells the correct NGK equivalent to the factory Bosch.

Jon K
03-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Were they spec'd for your car? Did your parts-retailer tell you they were correct? I used the NGK's because I always hear controversial stuff about Bosch plugs. I'm not saying they are good or bad. I've used NGK's in almost every car/truck/motorcycle/watercraft I have ever owned. BMA sells the correct NGK equivalent to the factory Bosch.

Yeah they are spec'd to the car... they had Platinum 2 and platinum 4 and i know better than to use platinum 4. Now... trying to find a modest torque wrench to do 7.4ft lbs.

AZ_Jason_S
03-22-2004, 03:20 PM
The plugs are probably fine then.

I had to borrow a torque wrench from a friend for that job. Thats why I wanted to give you the heads up. Most people don't have a torque wrench that works in that range.