PDA

View Full Version : Crap, Snapped a bolt that holds a coil in.

DaCan23
03-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Geez was putting in new plugs & coils and I snapped one of the bolts that holds in an ignition coil. Just the other one holding it on didnt seem bad. Any chance that bolt can be removed and replaced.... didnt inspect the area was at the end of the work and just wanted to wrap up the job, probably cant be done, not gonna get a whole new cyclinder head just for one crappy bolt.... well maybe a junkyard.... not happy bout it....

Thanks

632 Regal
03-22-2004, 11:10 AM
I know what your talking about, that sucks. Is there any of the stud sticking up to get vice grips on at all? If so try a little heat and then try to unscrew it. About the only other thing to attempt is to drill the stud out with a small drill bit, be very careful however, the stud is hardened and of course much harder than the aluminum. If this is succesful you could get a small helicoil and finish the job up.

Good luck!!!

DaCan23
03-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Didnt feel like seeing if it would screw out.... would wait until I am home next time to let Pop's da pro look at it... cause I would just screw it up even more... just was curious if anyone else made my stupid mistake....

Mas (UK)
03-22-2004, 12:00 PM
here are a couple things you can try:

1) if you have some stud showing, you can spot weld another bolt to it, then unscrew your broken piece using this bolt. If you can't easily weld a bolt, then use a piece of steel plate, drill a small hole in it big enough to pass the stud through, then weld the top of the stud to the outside of the plate.

If you do any welding, please be very careful to not damage the cylinder head.

2) get a reverse threaded screw extractor. You drill a tiny hole into the centre of the broken screw. Screw in the reverse threaded extractor (tightens when you turn anti-clockwise) then continue turning anti-clockwise until it pulls the broken screw out.

Make sure you cover the plug hole as you don't want any machined swarf bits falling into the engine.

Wish you well, good luck!

Masood

JR'Z 525
03-22-2004, 12:06 PM
I've had pretty good luck with broken bolts by trying to drill them out with a left hand drill bit of a smaller size than the original bolt. Most of the time the offending stud will back right on out! Good luck!
JR

632 Regal
03-22-2004, 03:27 PM
I've had pretty good luck with broken bolts by trying to drill them out with a left hand drill bit of a smaller size than the original bolt. Most of the time the offending stud will back right on out! Good luck!
JR

Unregistered
03-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Machine shop or industrial supply houses, auto parts stores, etc. Take care of them because sharpening them can be a real chore. Sears has several interesting new tool systems for stud removal. The trick to drilling is to accurately locate the center of the broken stud, a procedure made difficult from the illusion of the screw minor diameter and the remaining thread helix.
Good luck,

Paul