PDA

View Full Version : how rare is the e34 in your hometown?

SchnellE34
04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I live just north of Pittsburgh, PA, USA. I have to admit there are not a lot of e34’s rollin around here. I have seen a few in a 20 mile radius of my house but nothing on a regular basis.

One of the many many reasons I love this car is because of its rarity around my hometown. Hell, I drove to Queens, New York to get my car but it was a great purchase and wouldn’t drive anything else. How about you?

angrypancake
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
funny after i got my first one i started noticing more. theres an old woman down the road that has one. then i met this crazy dude with a 535 show car. someone just moved here recently with a spankin white 95 525, Ct plates, its freakin mint. my town is small too, but theres a solid amount around. 10 or so. oh and at the end of my street, then go right about a mile a guy just got a black/black '92 m5. i told him about the forum but he hasnt joined.

SchnellE34
04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
to put a number on it, i would say there's only 5 around here, including mine

Jay 535i
04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I see five or more every day, but mine's the nicest :)

rob101
04-08-2006, 06:33 PM
lol funny you should mention this, i was washing my car a couple of weeks ago, i looked down the street 2 doors down there was a white e34. i see a few around, more common are the POS e36s series 1 sedans or people with 318i 's with fartcan exhausts and aftermarket tail lights. i have a serious contempt for those 4 banger e36's that people drive like they are some kind of gangster or millionaire... its like whatever, why don't you buy a hyundai idiot!

Nick.Hay
04-08-2006, 06:41 PM
I see five or more every day, but mine's the nicest :)

I can understand that... She look fly ;)

In my home town (pop. 25,000), there was maybe 6?? All standard except mine, and most were just 'cars' to their owners; Nothing very neat or special (except for Dad's 525i which is great condition). There is one up there now (Luke01) which looks like its gonna be a bit of a weapon!!!

Now living in the state's capital (245,000 peeps), I've seen alot more... Perhaps a dozen in the 3 months Ive been here. Same rule deal as in my hometown (including a rough-as-guts M5 thats always dirty and full of rubbish... MF needs to be bitch-slapped), except I've seen a 3.6L M5 and a pair of 540iLEs. All in very sweet condition. There is another M5 with big brakes and exhaust, which I haven't seen. The 540iLEs and M5s are owned by BMW enthusiasts, which is great to see. :)

scott540
04-08-2006, 06:43 PM
there are two others that I know about for sure. A white 525 and green 530 tha lives out in the country. I've seen him coming into town a few times. My neighbors down the street just got a 2001 323 because his wife "has always wanted a BMW" it's a total status thing with them. His llittle kids even rip on my car because it's older and "weird". They were always talking about how quick it is and nice riding. A took him for a ride in the 540 one night and just about scared the crap out of him. Pretty cool.

SchnellE34
04-08-2006, 06:46 PM
lol funny you should mention this, i was washing my car a couple of weeks ago, i looked down the street 2 doors down there was a white e34. i see a few around, more common are the POS e36s series 1 sedans or people with 318i 's with fartcan exhausts and aftermarket tail lights. i have a serious contempt for those 4 banger e36's that people drive like they are some kind of gangster or millionaire... its like whatever, why don't you buy a hyundai idiot!

My dad always used to say...people drive 3 series because they either don't have the money or the balls for a 5 or 7.

Although, after I put the tint on my e34, my friends called it 'the mafia car.'

scott540
04-08-2006, 06:53 PM
I get the "mafia" or "pimp" line everyonce in while too. Mainly because outside of a few accords and a VW golf, I'm about the only foreign car in the lot at work. I still love the *******s who think I must be rich cause I drive the 11 year old BMW when I'm parked near their 40K Tahoe or Yukon.

Jay 535i
04-08-2006, 06:55 PM
My dad always used to say...people drive 3 series because they either don't have the money or the balls for a 5 or 7.

No offense intended towards you or your dad, but that sounds about as dumb as Scott's neighbors who think a BMW is an end in itself. Some people treat these cars strictly as fasion accessories, but not us, right? RIGHT?

A modern 3-series is still the best car in its class, and not everyone can afford a new 5 or 7. So why diss a guy with a 3, just because he's wisely spent his budget on the best car in his price range? Cuz he's not as rich as you? Come on.

It's like when people say a Boxster is for pussies or wannabies because it's not a 911. Well, can you buy a better mid-engined sports car than the Boxster for anywhere near the same money? No. So be quiet.

And even the nicest E34 on this board isn't worth 1/3 the price of a new 323, so I'd watch the stone throwing, Mr. Glass House.

I know I probably sound like I'm overreacting a bit, and I know you meant no harm. But it's talk like that that causes people to despise BMW owners just because they own BMWs. Let someone else play the status game, and let's continue to enjoy our cars for what they are -- not for what other people perceive them to be. There will always be somebody with more money or a cooler car than you, but there are more accurate measures of a man.

rob101
04-08-2006, 06:55 PM

Although, after I put the tint on my e34, my friends called it 'the mafia car.'
lol you know in australia in the 2nd hand car market 5er and 7ers are cheaper than equivalent year 3ers, you can get a e32 750iL for less than an e36 318i!

Dave M
04-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Thunder Bay has 2-3 others in a population of @100K. The town in BC I was in prior to this had a total of one (mine).

Since purchasing mine, I've never even been in another e34 :( I live somewhat vicariously through the board.

Dave M

SchnellE34
04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
No offense intended towards you or your dad, but that sounds about as dumb as Scott's neighbors who think a BMW is an end in itself. Some people treat these cars strictly as fasion accessories, but not us, right? RIGHT?

A modern 3-series is still the best car in its class, and not everyone can afford a new 5 or 7. So why diss a guy with a 3, just because he's wisely spent his budget on the best car in his price range? Cuz he's not as rich as you? Come on.

Of course, even the nicest E34 on this board isn't worth 1/3 the price of a new 323, so I'd watch the stone throwing, Mr. Glass House.

I know I probably sound like I'm overreacting a bit, and I know you meant no harm. But it's talk like that that causes people to despise BMW owners just because they own BMWs. Let someone else play the status game, and let's continue to enjoy our cars for what they are -- not for what other people perceive them to be.
um.... haha, Jay of course I was generalizing here. Please don’t get your pant…s in a jumble. It was simply a laugh the two of us shared after an e36 passed us that looked like it has every cheap ebay part you could buy of course including the 4 inch thick pipe sticking out of the bumper. Of course I respect all BMW’s and the people that have chosen to buy them.

I wouldn’t call it a fashion accessory but a fashion statement. Isn’t that why we customize our cars from the stock look into something, in our minds, is the most beautiful thing on the face of the earth?

SharkmanBMW
04-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a 5 and a 3, top examples of both models... They are both fun to drive, but I don't get the same "respect" from other drivers in the 3...
I also recently saw someone on a newsgroup say "3's aren't even real BMWs"
What a douchebag! he owned a 1990 7 series worth 1/3 of my xi.

rob101
04-08-2006, 08:15 PM
yeah i don't think all 3ers are shite, but it annoys me the young guys who have a 318i and think its a race car. and deface it with altezza lights, they just have no idea.

they are all over my side of town, its like all the peoples in c class mercs that think they have made it, like its a status symbol... seriously get over yourself.

personally i couldn't think think of anything better than a 3er coupé with a 6 cylinder engine hehe, but i like my big bimmer and i know its not really fast but it is fun to drive and it cost me 10k less than an equivalent 3er. and i don't act like i am better than the rest of humanity because i own a 5er

Elekta
04-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Never see tourings. Always eyeball them. Usually black and tan or green and tan.

Then one day my neighbor parked a silver and tan 525it right next door for about a month. Daughters car for graduation. She had it about a month and traded it for a passat.

Tourings are rare indeed, and 530's even rarer.

angrypancake
04-08-2006, 08:38 PM

It's like when people say a Boxster is for pussies or wannabies because it's not a 911. Well, can you buy a better mid-engined sports car than the Boxster for anywhere near the same money? No. So be quiet.

And even the nicest E34 on this board isn't worth 1/3 the price of a new 323, so I'd watch the stone throwing, Mr. Glass House.

I know I probably sound like I'm overreacting a bit, and I know you meant no harm. But it's talk like that that causes people to despise BMW owners just because they own BMWs. Let someone else play the status game, and let's continue to enjoy our cars for what they are -- not for what other people perceive them to be. There will always be somebody with more money or a cooler car than you, but there are more accurate measures of a man.

I hear and agree with that completely. However, it seems that (now here comes the gross generalization) 3 series owners are always trying to make their 318's into something they're not. Racing them around, trash talking, bashing other people's cars and ****. It seems like there's a bit of intra-model competition. 3 guys vs 5 guys. The 7 guys are just like, eh, whatever (side note i want that e38 shogun posted :))

Granted there are cool 3 series owners (sharkman) but I'm sure you guys know where I was going with that.

tim s
04-08-2006, 08:48 PM
there are some new & old 3's, 5's, 7's, & even an 8 but i have the only e34 that i know about. the women down the street sold her e34 2 years ago.
i did just talk to someone that lives about 5 miles outside of town with a 535 & i know of a house about 12 miles with 2 e34's in the back yard with no plates. they look to be decent from the road, but i did not see them up close.
population in my town is under 10,000.
tim s.

Bill R.
04-08-2006, 09:28 PM
the 3 touring or the 535, in fact i get more comments from people when i'm driving the wagon... and i got lots of comments yesterday when driving this 3http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Arthur16.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Arthur8.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Arthur20.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/323it%20with%20mudflaps.JPG

I have a 5 and a 3, top examples of both models... They are both fun to drive, but I don't get the same "respect" from other drivers in the 3...
I also recently saw someone on a newsgroup say "3's aren't even real BMWs"
What a douchebag! he owned a 1990 7 series worth 1/3 of my xi.

Alexlind123
04-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I remember right before i got my car, i would have my eyes peeled for e34s on the road. I wold always be guaranteed one sighting when going somewhere, but usually not two. This means that there arent very many in my neck of the woods.

CharlesAFerg
04-08-2006, 09:47 PM
LOL how ironic... I thought so until I saw two at the same intersection. I was like...DAMN
One was being driven by some lady who was clueless, the other was a black one, couldn't tell the model number, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on this forum.
Anyone from Portland or Beaverton/Hillsboro, OR?
-Charles

ThoreauHD
04-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I live in a town where every 6th car is a bmw. Of those, I've perhaps seen one E34 besides my own. Most are the 200X 5 or 7 series sedans. I think they look like japanese cars, although I know they're really nice and EMP sensitive on the inside- I prefer the look and mechanical build of the E34.

And about the 3 series... well, I can't even fit in a 3 series. I'm 6'3", and my head hits the cieling. I know a few girls that have 3 series and also some teenagers, but I don't care. I'm sure it's nice if you're short or tiny, but I'm not so my empathy stops there. I don't have any feeling one way or another, same as I don't care about a size 7 shoe. It's too small and doesn't do what I need it to do.

I personally would like an 850 in the style of an E34, but I have to say that my little 3 liter does it's job and then some. With that extra size and power, I would just be compensating for something. I bought this model because of it's construction and style. I can fix the thing. You can't say that about the new ones. You can't fix ****. Due to that, the stealership owns the car, not you.

ajt3nc
04-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Here in Wilmington, NC you see a fair number of BMWs , a few e34s. Twenty miles away is mustang territory.
I travel eastern NC and SC and my old 89 gets two different comments. " Wow, what does that kinda car cost?"($1800 and a lot of cleaning and waxing.) or "Man those cars haul ass. My buddies would run 1?? , ( whatever). My m20 is my 5th bimmer and was bought for its keep. I drive 800-1000 miles a week and it gets 24 mpg ( mostly 55-65 mph) and will continue to do so with good maintenance.
Due to the recent population influx and ENC college we are getting a lot of riced M3s, X5s with 20s and old farts( read +65, I'm 44 ) sporting Z series.
When I went to buy tires, the price was drastically different if I said BMW.

CharlesAFerg
04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh, if this is about BMWs seems like every other car is a BMW, just not E34s.
Especially the 3 series. Horrendous drivers. Even the M3s, its sad, wives drive them. Although its actually true about most of the new 5s as well, sadly, but there are stilla select few five drivers that know what they are doing. they ALWAYS notice the e34.

Jay 535i
04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
um.... haha, Jay of course I was generalizing here. Please don’t get your pant…s in a jumble. It was simply a laugh the two of us shared after an e36 passed us that looked like it has every cheap ebay part you could buy of course including the 4 inch thick pipe sticking out of the bumper. Of course I respect all BMW’s and the people that have chosen to buy them.

I wouldn’t call it a fashion accessory but a fashion statement. Isn’t that why we customize our cars from the stock look into something, in our minds, is the most beautiful thing on the face of the earth?

Sorry man. I kinda jumped the gun.

Yeah, they're fashion statements. But to look good is enough. It's not important that people think you spent a lot of money. IMHO.

Alexlind123
04-08-2006, 11:33 PM
LOL how ironic... I thought so until I saw two at the same intersection. I was like...DAMN
One was being driven by some lady who was clueless, the other was a black one, couldn't tell the model number, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on this forum.
Anyone from Portland or Beaverton/Hillsboro, OR?
-Charles

Im in hockinson (do a search if you dont know what that is) and i got my car in Portland. Considering that i am not a clueless lady and my car is blue not black, you probably didnt see me.

digitaldragon03
04-09-2006, 02:34 AM
There are a few, but most are beat up in my area. However i was a friends house and across the street there was a house with a black sedan and white wagon. Both looked pretty clean.

wingman
04-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Population 24,000. Mine is the only one.

Cactuar
04-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Very rare in my town. My place is the land of used Cavaliers and F150's, no one seems to have a clue about cars (or care much about them).

edit: there's plenty of e36 boyracers though... one in the parking lot of my appartment complex in fact! He wakes up the whole neighbourhood every morning...

genphreak
04-09-2006, 04:24 AM
In Sydney, Australia there are not many, you see one I'd say every 6-8km or so in the city (where you stop and start at an average of 30km/h).

I get embarrased these days when I see one coming; like the driver might be looking at me (having a red car was never my style... I think at the time that I was the only person prepared to nurse her back to good condition (I bought Frieda structurally solid and not messed up, but with a bit more than her fair share of wear...)

Most of them seem to be 525s and V8s, the classic 535s are getting much rarer these days.

Russell
04-09-2006, 05:20 AM
Quite a few e34s in Lexington, KY We have a sucessful long running BMW dealership and a excellent independent shop. Because of these facilites, BMW automobiles have been very popular here since the late 70s. I remember one day, I saw 3 e34s in 5 minutes. I also see e28s and e39s all the time. I see a really outstanding e28 M5 on a regular basis. Of course the 3 series is everywhere.

OT, the most popular car in this community must be the Toyota Camry as they are made nearby in Georgetown KY..

Gayle
04-09-2006, 09:53 AM
There are 3 million people in greater San Diego and I never noticed how ubiquitous e34s were until I went to Pennsylvania to get my 535. And we owned a 525 prior to this but I wasn't into it then. Since everyone in SoCal has a BMW, I just didn't pay attention to how many were e34s. Now I feel like I should educate these people on what jewels they have. Now I am also noticing how ubiquitous newer M3s are.

I want to make a remark in defense of bmw as fashion accessories. I bought my e30 convertible as a fashion accessory. I got tired of the sneers and disparaging remarks from valet parkers when I would arrive in my jacked up, surfer boy, Nissan truck. I mostly only drove the convertible to weddings and restaurants (cause I don't have the right skin type to be able to handle the sun). Valet parkers loved it. But I got tired of paying the insurance to have it sit in the garage so I sold it. I miss it when I see one like it cause it was sooo pretty.

winfred
04-09-2006, 10:00 AM
**** load of e34s in and around baton rouge loserana and i work on a ton of them, sold quite a few sometimes more then once

McWatters
04-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Theres 5 e34's in my city of Barrie

cheers

J.McWatters

NovceGuru
04-10-2006, 05:10 AM
You know in a massive town of about 14k, I believe there are 7-10 that I know of. I never noticed them until I got mine. Mine is the only one without stock bottlecaps. 3 of them are old ladies, one I have talked to said with 230k miles she can close her eyes and it feels like a new car. I'd have to agree. Another guy has a 93 525i 5 speed...I asked if he wanted to trade but he said no :( No clue about the rest of them.

NovceGuru

Nick.Hay
04-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Neat E34s sell for 10k AUD (7k US)

E32s for 3k US...

********!!! I paid 15k US for my E34 less than 3 years ago... (neatest, lowest mile, non-enthusiast one I've seen for sale ever tho :D )

bullyd
04-10-2006, 06:26 AM
20+ in my area, but mine always turns heads, might be something to do with the ~2500watt install tho :p

1995 525i
04-10-2006, 08:13 AM
I live just north of Pittsburgh, PA, USA. I have to admit there are not a lot of e34’s rollin around here. I have seen a few in a 20 mile radius of my house but nothing on a regular basis.

One of the many many reasons I love this car is because of its rarity around my hometown. Hell, I drove to Queens, New York to get my car but it was a great purchase and wouldn’t drive anything else. How about you?

I don't see many around this area. There is one owend by a girl I work with but that is my fault because of how much I talk about mine. I definitely have not seen another one the same color as mine, anywhere around here.

Rarely when I pass another E34 do they even know they just passed one. If I had to count I have see maybe about 6 or so around the Cary/Holly Springs area.

Michael

granit_silber
04-10-2006, 08:34 AM

I see 3-6 a week. Always the same ones though. Many of them are trashed with missing bumpers, trim strips, dirty, and/or smoking. There are about 3 really nice ones in Winston-Salem and mine which is nice. None of them are radically modified. Last week I followed a Wake Forest Student with a 525 black touring. It was lowered and had a Yakima roof rack on it. It was awesome. If I buy another e34 I want a touring!
-ashley

MBXB
04-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I see 3-4 a day. All dead stock. All age ranges.

liquidtiger720
04-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I see about a million a day.

Today. I saw one that was riced out :)

boom2085
04-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Around Tacoma I see 1 or 2 a day.

Incantation
04-10-2006, 01:56 PM
vancouver bc here.. tons of e34s everywhere.. mostly driven by housewives etc.. all stock

genphreak
04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I see 3-4 a day. All dead stock. All age ranges.'Dead Stock?' WHat, you work at a dealer and have trouble selling old bimmers?

Nick.Hay
04-11-2006, 12:34 AM
True, but a real enthusiast will spot those 'turbines' in traffic and go...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/stnick/av-377.gif

OOOOHHHHH YYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHHH.....:D

Paul in NZ
04-11-2006, 01:54 AM
it varies,there is one that i see most days near home and another really nice dead stock one driven by a older gentleman near work.Most i see are 525s,although there are two 540s that i see around the neighbourhodd now and again....both are autos :p
Ussually on the way to work i might see two or three,really weird the other day was travelling with a black on black 535 but it was dead stock,nice condition tho....
And <shudder> I saw a riced out 525</shudder> low as ,bling wheels low riding driver and passengers with caps askew and stereo pounding >I nearly puked and thought seriously about selling....

Nick.Hay
04-11-2006, 02:51 AM
"Dead stock" as in un-modified... I think.

Alexlind123
04-11-2006, 06:32 AM
The only riced out BMW i have seen around here is an e36 (yuck). One my way home from school yesterday, i saw a nice black 535 with clears and m-pars. I also occasionally see a very nice shiny green e34 (it looks alot like JonKs, but with stock wheels). I havent seen one beat-up e34 yet, although i did see an e32 735i once which had a DEEP scrape running from the front fender to the rear fender. The drivers of the 7 would swerve into any large puddle he saw, even if it was a bit off the road or in a parking lot...

piman
04-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. POP 450K. I see about 4 regular ones. The odd tourist makes 250 at any given time.

Rob
04-12-2006, 02:22 AM
See them all the time. Saw a lakker one yesterday, damn it was nice!

Paul in NZ
04-12-2006, 02:34 AM
dead stock = exactly as it was rolled out of the dealer

DueyT
04-12-2006, 09:04 AM
about 3-4 other E34's I know of in Kingston (~115k pop.) a 525i, a 525iT and and one/two 535i(s) (both?) Bronzit but seems the wheels keep changin on it(them). I think I'm the only 540 in town.

Cheers,
Duey

tdgard
04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Tons of 5s where I am. As for the 3s have your dad go look at a fully loaded 330 convertible and talk about lack of money.