PDA

View Full Version : OT: Legit work from home jobs?

onewhippedpuppy
04-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry for posting this in the general forum, but I'm desperate. Anyone know a good source for work from home job listings? My wife has her bachelors in accounting, and has worked from home for her current firm for two years. Unfortunately her boss is the most demeaning and condescending a-hole I have ever met, and we're both tired of the abuse that she takes on a daily basis. So, she needs something else, but would prefer to continue working from home. On careerbuilder and others there's always listings for work from home companies, but they always want you to send in money for an "info kit", which just sounds like a fancy way to say scam. Anybody know of any legit companies, or sources for legit companies? Any help would be greatly appreciated, before I snap and go pay him a visit.

DaveVoorhis
04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Legitimate homeworking jobs are rarer than hen's teeth. Perhaps your wife would consider starting her own bookkeeping/accounting business?

NovceGuru
04-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Legitimate homeworking jobs are rarer than hen's teeth. Perhaps your wife would consider starting her own bookkeeping/accounting business?

If you go that route contact me for something helpful ;)

mattyb
04-08-2006, 05:05 PM
my experience has been that there practically none unless you become self employed and develop a business yourself. the book keeping idea sounds good.

Tiger
04-08-2006, 05:13 PM
She needs to start up her own accounting services... start small and you will grow... You just need to connects with your friends... Don't be afraid.

onewhippedpuppy
04-08-2006, 05:21 PM
She doesn't want the responsibility or risk, right now she's our only source of income because I'm busting ass trying to get through engineering. I've suggested it many times, it's probably what I would do if our spots were reversed.

scott540
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
If you haven't already, check with some recruiters that specialize in accounting jobs. I know a lot of insurance companies in particular are doing the telecommuting thing becasue they can't get people to relocate to where they are and are also finding that people working from home are more productive- none of that office chit chat crap going on all day.

TonyC2639
04-10-2006, 07:38 AM
I agree..try a recruiter. Also, there are a lot of legitmate sales jobs out of the home. Just make sure you make contact through a legitimate source.

onewhippedpuppy
04-10-2006, 10:44 AM
The recruiters here are worthless, she's dealt with multiple companies and all they've done is waste her time. Maybe in bigger cities they're more useful.

MBXB
04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Another strategy would be to sign up with a temp outfit. They assign you to a job for a specified time, and sometimes, they offer you a permanenet spot. It also give you the opportunity to check out if you even want to work there permanently.
I had a buddy who did the temp route for 4 years. He made more $$ too.