PDA

View Full Version : Relay help needed, several things out at same time.

WILLIETOPZ
04-08-2006, 12:39 PM
All at once my sun roof, the central locking system, the wiper blades, power windows and the onboard computer stop working on my 1989 535i. Is there a shared relay that may be bad, your help is needed?

cschollum
04-08-2006, 12:58 PM
All at once my sun roof, the central locking system, the wiper blades, power windows and the onboard computer stop working on my 1989 535i. Is there a shared relay that may be bad, your help is needed?

yes, under your rear seat you will find 2 long black boxes labeled RM and GM, means general module and relay module - these could be loose or faulty - try unplugging them both then after both are removed(important) plug them back in again.

they are hidden under a plastic cover, which requires 2 screws to remove them you will have access to them

otherwise replace them

Javier
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
below back seat. If not, you probably have a bad Fuse Link (Do a search in Fuse Link for details).

Javier

cschollum
04-08-2006, 01:35 PM
below back seat. If not, you probably have a bad Fuse Link (Do a search in Fuse Link for details).

Javier

are you talking about a fusible link? the 80amp thing.. if so wouldnt that take out more than just what he mentioned?

regards the fusible link if you want to check, its located below rear seat, opposite side to the rm boxes i mentioned, big thick red wires going into it and the cover hinges open, check the silver strip hasnt broke and power is flowing

WILLIETOPZ
04-08-2006, 02:37 PM
The link was broken, thanks for your help!

lauraseth
04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I am also having problems with the central locking system, wipers, sunroof and windows. I've tried replacing the fuse and it blows it out right away. Both fusable links are good. I haven't checked the general and relay modules yet. Any other suggestions.

Thanks!!

Rustam
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
I am also having problems with the central locking system, wipers, sunroof and windows. I've tried replacing the fuse and it blows it out right away. Both fusable links are good. I haven't checked the general and relay modules yet. Any other suggestions.

Thanks!!

low fuse rating?

lauraseth
04-30-2006, 05:43 PM
the fuse is 7.5
have you used a higher rated fuse?

BillionPa
04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
stick a multimeter beween the fuse and the wire and measure the current, there may be something using way too much power.

Paul in NZ
05-01-2006, 01:13 AM
windows use LOTS of power i am sure they need more than a 7.5A

Javier
05-01-2006, 04:13 AM
Javier

Javier
05-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Javier

lauraseth
05-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Fuse #32 is blowing. I haven't checked the trunk hinge yet.

lauraseth
05-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Forgot to mention that my car is a wagon. Is the trunk hinge harness problematic for wagons too?

Laura

lauraseth
05-01-2006, 07:22 AM
The wires in the hinge harness were not in perfect condition. There were two wires (once I cut back the protective covering) and one was held together with only one small wire and the other had a few more connections and both wires were touching. I re-connected those and replaced the fuse for the windows, sunroof, etc and everything worked when I turned the key forward to the accessory position. Once I hooked everything back up and started the car, the fuse immediately blew and also blew the fuse for the electronic locks...

joshua43214
05-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Dig deeper, I bet you find the insulation on those wires is all messed up. This is a common problem. You can buy new harnesses or a spool of wire and repair it yourself. probably 1000 posts on this topic already. Nice write up here http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/E34Touring/Harness.htm

Fix this before you do anything else, its probably your entire problem.

lauraseth
05-02-2006, 08:45 AM
It was the trunk hinge harness. Both sides had some damage and I spliced the wires back together and now it works (almost like new).

The problems that remain are:
1. When I lock the doors from the drivers side (key outside or manually from the inside), the doors immediately unlock and then I lock one more time and they are OK
2. Passenger side door lock only works for that door, not all doors
3. Passenger side rear door lock will not open, so door will not open...
4. Wipers only work in high speed.

Thank you for all your help so far!!

joshua43214
05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
The lock locking then unlocking are a semi common problem,search for door locks and dig arround. often it is caused by the passenger,driver,or trunk lock not traveling far enough and then sending a false unlock signal to the lock module.

Pay very close attention to the lock action of each individual lock and try to determin which door is the culprit. operate each lock from both the outside and the inside. if it is a problem with the lock not traveling enough, it will usualy not occur when the door that is faulty is locked manualy.

also, please update your profile in the "user CP" with your car info so we know what you are driving and where you are driving it.