PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

Rory535i
03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Bit of a problem... do i sell the original 15" cross-spoke alloys off my beemer to fund some new shocks and lowering springs or do i bite the bullet and hold onto them? I have 5 including the spare wheel and they all still have the centre caps. They've been with the car since day 1. I took them off to make way for 17's and they're just lying around but it would seem a bit of a shame to get rid of them. Would having them when selling the car add to it's value?? Someone please tell me the right thing to do!!!

Black 535i
03-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Keep them as spares for snow as I did if you live somewhere that requires snows or just post them on a board such as this.

Rory
03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Bit of a problem... do i sell the original 15" cross-spoke alloys off my beemer to fund some new shocks and lowering springs or do i bite the bullet and hold onto them? I have 5 including the spare wheel and they all still have the centre caps. They've been with the car since day 1. I took them off to make way for 17's and they're just lying around but it would seem a bit of a shame to get rid of them. Would having them when selling the car add to it's value?? Someone please tell me the right thing to do!!!
Hi Rory,

Nice name by the way ;)

It all depends on your financial and space situation. Realistically you are never going to use them again. I have a set of 540 luxury wheels in my parents basement back in Atlanta. I have a set of summer wheels and now that I am in the great arctic North East for a few years I have a dedicated set of wheels with snows. I will sell my 15 inch set when I get around to it, but I have to make it back to ATL and clean them and package them before it can happen. If you are concerned about the 17's being too harsh or need snow wheels I would keep them. Otherwise they are only going to take up space and collect dust. Good luck.

Best,
Rory

Elekta
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
what 17's did you get?

I have no desire to keep my baskets. I'm still wondering if I can even get a $100 a piece for them.

Still looking for a deal on T-Stars

Jr ///M5
03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Hate to point you to Roadfly, but the E28 board there are often looking for wheels as some of their cars still sport the TRX type wheel. I sold my basketweaves to a very nice man in Virginia just by posting a blurb....That was some time ago, you would probably get banned for doing it now. But who cares, right?

Jr

TheGeak
03-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Man, i wish i could fit 15's on for winter tires ;)

I agree with the other guys though, if you need winter wheels, keep ahold of them, slap some Blizzak rubber on there, and let them be. If you dont' get snow, try to sell them on a board.

BMWE34M5
03-22-2004, 10:21 PM
http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/mel2.jpg

Kennan
03-22-2004, 11:37 PM
How much did your Kopis cost? They're quite similar to hartge rims.

BMWE34M5
03-22-2004, 11:49 PM
www.abrahamsmotorsport.com

JohnC
03-23-2004, 02:34 AM
the kopis look a lot more like alpinas to me

Paul in NZ
03-23-2004, 03:00 AM
If not it MAY be a good idea to have them to fall back on come sale time in case tou get a conservative type who only wants "factory">it would prolly be easier and more $ to sell the 17`s then.

shragon
03-23-2004, 12:19 PM
also agree, if you need winter wheels, keep them.

i sold mine when i got my first set of 17's. no need for winter wheels in cali and they were just taking up space.

Rory535i
03-24-2004, 08:29 AM
I live in the UK so i don't need snow tires. I got a set of replica Z8 alloys. I'm waiting on some photos to be developed so as soon as i've them back i'll stick a couple online. So far everyone seems to like them, including me!! It would be a shame to sell the old ones considering i've got 5 but i really could do with the money to help get the new shocks! But like Rory said, they're just lying round collecting dust so i might flog them off, see what i could get for them!! Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Memovox
03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Im in a similar situation....I have a 27,000 low mileage 1985 535i and need tires for mine - - except they are the Michelin Metrics for that year. . . Maybe some one has them to sell me or I sell my original set with the 17K mile tires on them as they are and convert over to new wheels and tires. . . I would prefer to keep it original. How har would this be to find either a.) metric tires or b.) same style rims with tires that are replaceable. . . ? ? ?