PDA

View Full Version : Installing Driving/Fog Lights

schematic
04-08-2006, 02:21 AM
E34XM50 520i
Hi all. I've just purchased a pair of Driving/Fog Lights to install into my veh. do they fit straight in without having to purchase another wiring loom ?are the wires already inplace?? I guess I need to change the Light switch?? it's warmer finding out this way as opposed to getting under the car this is England ya know!!

wingman
04-08-2006, 03:36 AM
E34XM50 520i
Hi all. I've just purchased a pair of Driving/Fog Lights to install into my veh. do they fit straight in without having to purchase another wiring loom ?are the wires already inplace?? I guess I need to change the Light switch?? it's warmer finding out this way as opposed to getting under the car this is England ya know!!

Good thinking schematic. We're heading into winter here now so I'm hearing you. To be honest, with the E34 I have no idea. I know that with my E12 I managed to pick up an original fog light kit at a dealer sale. As the fog lights were an option the wires to attach to the lights were there and factory taped up ready to go. The wires for the switch were exactly the same. I relay came with the kit and that, as you know, is a straight plug in. To find the wires I just followed your namesake and they were all there. I''m hoping to do the same with mine so I will be following this thread. Good luck.

schematic
04-09-2006, 02:12 AM
E34XM50 520i

Well the sun was shining so I got out there and got under!! from what I see there are no cables hanging about near the Driving/Fog light positions! surely some one has done this retro fit! It's looking like I'll need to get a Loom-Relay and switch to Install these Lights Has anyone done this Mod to an E34?? Come on Guys!! I thought this would have been covered in Upgrades but there is nothing about it. now there's a Topic for someone to do!

genphreak
04-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Well the sun was shining so I got out there and got under!! from what I see there are no cables hanging about near the Driving/Fog light positions! surely some one has done this retro fit! It's looking like I'll need to get a Loom-Relay and switch to Install these Lights Has anyone done this Mod to an E34?? Come on Guys!! I thought this would have been covered in Upgrades but there is nothing about it. now there's a Topic for someone to do!Check to see if the LKM is the same part on a car made with and without... after that yes you have to find the wiring or at least the nodes on the loom- best to get out there with a smooth paint scraper to remove the bumper trim and a 17mm socket/ratchet to remove the actual bumper cover. She slides straight off (forward) once the 4 nuts are off; watch for any wiring on the left side- the thermometer is in the bumper if you have the OBC. The wiring runs from a node on the left side and goes all the way accross, so I expect you will need that part of the loom (or to make your own). Beware tho, my experience is with RHD cars only :) Nick

Paul in NZ
04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
uk= rhd too Nick!,wakeywakey!

genphreak
04-09-2006, 10:29 PM
uk= rhd too Nick!,wakeywakey!snors.... eughcchhhh... hueghhh... hmm .. he- hec, what? Oh not LHD. Damn. Serves the poms right, mate there's 65M of 'em and they can't be bothered to make a turbo manifold for the M30.

Some of them even still buy Rovers over BMWs... (**???**)
Apologies in advance to my preferred old 'Britlish' mates) :D Nick

schematic
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Check to see if the LKM is the same part on a car made with and without... after that yes you have to find the wiring or at least the nodes on the loom- best to get out there with a smooth paint scraper to remove the bumper trim and a 17mm socket/ratchet to remove the actual bumper cover. She slides straight off (forward) once the 4 nuts are off; watch for any wiring on the left side- the thermometer is in the bumper if you have the OBC. The wiring runs from a node on the left side and goes all the way accross, so I expect you will need that part of the loom (or to make your own). Beware tho, my experience is with RHD cars only :) Nick
OK What's an LKM and I hope I haven't got to big a Node under the Bonnet.

schematic
04-13-2006, 02:13 AM
E34XM50 520i
Well I've worked out I need a driving/fog light wiring loom+ Relay ( can anyone tell me where this plugs in ) and also I need to change a switch But I am not sure if it's the Light switch or Instrument Dimmer switch that combines the driving/fog light switch so please tell me???

Paul in NZ
04-13-2006, 02:40 AM
the light switch remains the same.The fog light switch is similar but on the lh side of the steering wheel.On your car there is probably a blank to remove.
you can see it here just to the left of the dimmer
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/int.jpg

schematic
04-13-2006, 03:30 AM
the light switch remains the same.The fog light switch is similar but on the lh side of the steering wheel.On your car there is probably a blank to remove.
you can see it here just to the left of the dimmer
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/int.jpg
I'm totally confused now My Rear fog Light switch is to the Left of the Dimmer does this mean I have to have my Rear fog lights on when I want my Driving/Fog Lights on?

schematic
04-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Good thinking schematic. We're heading into winter here now so I'm hearing you. To be honest, with the E34 I have no idea. I know that with my E12 I managed to pick up an original fog light kit at a dealer sale. As the fog lights were an option the wires to attach to the lights were there and factory taped up ready to go. The wires for the switch were exactly the same. I relay came with the kit and that, as you know, is a straight plug in. To find the wires I just followed your namesake and they were all there. I''m hoping to do the same with mine so I will be following this thread. Good luck.
Well Wingman I don't seem to be getting much in the way of advice but I'm slowly finding things out i.e. I can't find any additional wiring but a plug in loom is available from BMW and from what I've been told it plugs in at the left hand side of my engine compartment I don't know where the relay lives or if it is SHARED WITH THE REAR FOG LIGHT RELAY? and then looking at my fog light switch it only has one position! so that would have to be changed also but then there is the question of wiring as there are no extra wires in sight behind switch do the original wires plug straight in to the replacement or do I need additional wires to control my Driving/fog lights? what seemed a straight forward mod is slowly becoming a nightmare!!

E34-520iSE
04-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Nope! First position=front fogs only, second position (fully up)=front + rear fogs.

Oh I'm UK too, Tyneside!

HTH,

Shaun

schematic
04-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Nope! First position=front fogs only, second position (fully up)=front + rear fogs.

Oh I'm UK too, Tyneside!

HTH,

Shaun
Thank you finally someone is answering!
The Problem is I have got the lights found out I need a Loom to fit them so possibly a relay as well and then to top it all my fog light switch only has the one position so now I need to find out if I change the switch to a 2 position switch do I need to put in additional wiring? can't find a decent wiring diagram for this it's a July 91 E34XM50 (520i) I have checked behind the switch for additional wires but there are none their.Harry Bexhill on-sea

iainand
04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
hope this link helps, its wiring diagrams for 1994 models, but prob very similar or the same

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/bmw_e34/E34.html

schematic
04-14-2006, 10:41 PM
hope this link helps, its wiring diagrams for 1994 models, but prob very similar or the same

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/bmw_e34/E34.html
Thanks for the Link it's just what I needed and answers a lot of questions!
That's one I owe you! Harry.