PDA

View Full Version : rear car noise

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 05:58 PM
creeking bucking scraping sound... replaced the dogbones...those deals were f"in wasted man! Nothing else seems bad, no play nothin.

changed the rear gear fluid to 75w140, old shyt was decent but seemed watery, not a lot of material in it either (both full synthetic). anyways went for a 100 mile cruise, the rear end is way worse, damn chunkey feeling/sounding especially in reverse. I assume this really expensive 5oz bottle of LSD/Posi fluid is supposed to do the trick. At least I think I have isolated it.

what gets me is 30k without the mystery little bottle fluid after my infamous rebuild I had NO problems or sounds. Just within the last month or so, the weathers nicer so I can at least tackle this stuff now. Maybe the weather?

No questions just an update.

winfred
04-07-2006, 06:31 PM
lsd jizz shouldn't do anything for a clunk, clutch chatter usually only shows up during parking lot manuvers, have you checked the tightness of the trailing arm bolts at the subframe?seen em get loose and round out the holes and let the arm rattle or a broken subframe bushing? this only shown up once in a blue moon but when it does you almost need to luck into it if you don't know what to look for

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 07:24 PM
its been a real mystery man, I lookes at all them bushings and crap, monved them with a crowbar and everything seens cool. I say weather the additive helps in a day or 2.

lsd jizz shouldn't do anything for a clunk, clutch chatter usually only shows up during parking lot manuvers, have you checked the tightness of the trailing arm bolts at the subframe?seen em get loose and round out the holes and let the arm rattle or a broken subframe bushing? this only shown up once in a blue moon but when it does you almost need to luck into it if you don't know what to look for

winfred
04-07-2006, 07:31 PM
put in too much and the lsd gets weak

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 07:51 PM
5 oz ok?

put in too much and the lsd gets weak

winfred
04-07-2006, 08:26 PM
probably fine, if we knew for sure it was clutch chatter the normal procedure is add a little and go drive it around a parking lot to work it in and see if the chatter stops after a few days, 5 oz shouldn't hurt anything but id try half first

Derek A.
04-07-2006, 08:44 PM
u joint ? flex joint ? center driveshaft bearing ? half shaft cv joint ? ebrake coming apart? rear wheel bearing ?

zhandax
04-07-2006, 10:04 PM
When does it happen? A clunk in the rear on low speed acceleration is BMW for "I want new subframe bushings". You are at about the right mileage.

632 Regal
04-08-2006, 01:01 PM
solved that whole problem! Thinking back what I thing caused this is one time about a month ago I was driving up my drivewat. One wheel was on dry and the other was on ice. It was spinning like an open diff til I gave it some gas and wham! It got posi. Maybe this cleaned the varnish on the clutches causing them to get sticky again...idonno im just glad its fixt.