PDA

View Full Version : WTB Eibach springs

Felixdacat
04-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a set of Eibachs they may want to sell. I'm currently using BAV springs, with Bils, and sits too low in rear. Also suggestions on any other springs would be great. Thanks Derek.

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 05:33 PM
i dont remember the rear being too low but looking back the rear camber was way off. Either the Eibachs or H&R are good springs in your car, find out the part number, google it and get the best price, then call www.bmaparts.co they will match the price and anything over 50 bux is free shipping.

Felixdacat
04-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks Jeff, You and I spoke about the Bav's making the rear camber out of wack. You switched to Eibachs didn't you?

Tiger
04-08-2006, 06:15 AM
I have Eibach and I don't have any abnormal tire wear... all equal across the tread regardless of tire sizes.

Jzza4
04-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Would they cause the car to bottom out if installed without low profile tires (stock tires are on car)?

Felixdacat
04-08-2006, 08:30 AM
I had to remove the factory bumpstops from the car in the rear. Im running bav springs. Need to get rid of them, tearing up rear tires. Running a low profile tire will not make you bottom out. However the size of the tire will create a problem of rubbing the fender well. My problem is my rear camber.

Jzza4
04-08-2006, 08:47 AM
I had to remove the factory bumpstops from the car in the rear. Im running bav springs. Need to get rid of them, tearing up rear tires. Running a low profile tire will not make you bottom out. However the size of the tire will create a problem of rubbing the fender well. My problem is my rear camber.

Before purchasing rims/tires, I want to replace some suspension components and was wondering if the car would bottom out with the stock tires if Eibach springs are installed? The aftermarket rims are 17 x 8, and the tires are 235/45/17.

Are you saying I have to remove the factory bumpstops? If so, how?

Thanks for the replies.

Felixdacat
04-08-2006, 09:42 AM
The factory bumpstops are on the rear suspension only. They are not hard to notice. Kinda look like the staypuff marshmellow man. Just pull them off.
What type of struts and shocks are you going to use? I had to remove the factory stops, cause the Bilstein sports have a bumpstop built into them. I have 18" AC type II's with 235/40/18. no problems with the bottom out. Using the stock rims and tires? you won't have a problem

Jzza4
04-08-2006, 11:40 AM
The factory bumpstops are on the rear suspension only. They are not hard to notice. Kinda look like the staypuff marshmellow man. Just pull them off.
What type of struts and shocks are you going to use? I had to remove the factory stops, cause the Bilstein sports have a bumpstop built into them. I have 18" AC type II's with 235/40/18. no problems with the bottom out. Using the stock rims and tires? you won't have a problem

Bilstein Touring. Do they have the built-in bumpstop as well?

Felixdacat
04-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Not to sure on the touring, but I do believe all Bil's have built in bumpstops.

BillionPa
04-15-2006, 11:51 PM
well thats nice to know, i was just about to buy some bumpstops!

do the front struts also have them built in?

Rustam
04-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Just wondering if anyone has a set of Eibachs they may want to sell. I'm currently using BAV springs, with Bils, and sits too low in rear. Also suggestions on any other springs would be great. Thanks Derek.

I made fiberglass spacers to raise the rear...

Rustam
04-16-2006, 12:44 AM

what factory bumpstops have you removed? on the rear or the front? My rear sport bilsten did not come with bilsten built-in bump stops... I think I am misunderstanding something here...

Rustam
04-16-2006, 12:45 AM
well thats nice to know, i was just about to buy some bumpstops!

do the front struts also have them built in?

i think there is a misunderstanding:

front - yes built in bump stops...
rear - no built in bump stops...

Felixdacat
04-16-2006, 05:38 PM
My Bil's came with a diagram showing the internal design. Unfortunately I threw out the diagrams after installation. It shows a flat slight bevelled disc internally at the bottom of the shaft in the shock. I would not have removed the factory bumpstop in the rear if this was not true. I also spoke with a couple of e34 owners in the area who have the same set up, and also told me to remove the bumpstop, cause they would bottom out often. I have followed there instructions, and have not had any problems. Except for my rear camber. Hence the reason I would like to get Eibach, or another set of springs. Did you put the spacer between the upper spring mount, and the body mount assembly? And how many did you use. If this would solve my camber problem, without going stock, or getting new springs, This would be awesome.

BillionPa
04-16-2006, 09:28 PM
The sports and HD rear needs the factory bumpstop, but most people cut some of the bottom off.

The sport and HD front have a built in bumpstop.

I am installing HD with Eibach springs in about a week or 2 (just removed the old rear shocks) and am ordering the last accessory hardware today.

Rustam
04-18-2006, 12:16 AM
My Bil's came with a diagram showing the internal design. Unfortunately I threw out the diagrams after installation. It shows a flat slight bevelled disc internally at the bottom of the shaft in the shock. I would not have removed the factory bumpstop in the rear if this was not true. I also spoke with a couple of e34 owners in the area who have the same set up, and also told me to remove the bumpstop, cause they would bottom out often. I have followed there instructions, and have not had any problems. Except for my rear camber. Hence the reason I would like to get Eibach, or another set of springs. Did you put the spacer between the upper spring mount, and the body mount assembly? And how many did you use. If this would solve my camber problem, without going stock, or getting new springs, This would be awesome.

I put the spacer between the body and the strut mount, so that the relation between the strut and the spring is not affected. I used one spacer per side, 1 and a half inch thick.

Perhaps I should make a picture of the car and post it...

Rustam
04-18-2006, 12:21 AM
The sports and HD rear needs the factory bumpstop, but most people cut some of the bottom off.

The sport and HD front have a built in bumpstop.

I am installing HD with Eibach springs in about a week or 2 (just removed the old rear shocks) and am ordering the last accessory hardware today.

indeed. my sport bilstein came with instructions that shown how much and where to cut off the bump stop, i did just that and never experienced a problem...

however - i got the bumpstops too late I think. I once drove into a big pothole on a highway going at ~70mph. I think the rear strut bottomed out harshly - a few days later I realized that the car dropped on that rear wheel about half an inch.

I got the bumpstops to avoid breaking another strut in a bout of paranoia. I think the strut may be damaged.

so my advice - use the bump stop if bilstein says "do"...

Felixdacat
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
First off I would like to say Sorry for being such a hard head about the bumstops to everybody. I did some more research, and of course I was wrong. I listen too much to what other people said to do, and wound up looking like a arse. If I ever doubt what locals say I'll have to ask the pros before anything is done. Rustham thanks for the info on the spacer. I'll give this a try this weekend, and give you an update. Thanks Derek