PDA

View Full Version : California car duster: as good as it looks

Jay 535i
04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
My car gets really dusty in its underground parking space, and I'm thinking about picking up one of those red California dusters.

Are they good?

Jon K
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
yeah they work good just make sure to wax your car good so you don't end up scratching the surface when using it. Its a dry brush, so it can "slide" abrasive materials on the surface of your paint... black car... i prob wouldn't use it.

Jay 535i
04-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I worried about that. Thanks for the input.

E34 530
04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
When I used to work in a classic car dealer, I used the duster all the time to dust off the cars in the showroom. Like Jon said, make sure the surface is waxed as to not induce scratches into the car. As long as the paint is waxed, I wouldn't mind doing it to a black car. I used the duster on black cars all the time for years on end with no problems, but keep in mind they were in the showroom, so they didn't have traces of mud or dirt or anything else on the car.

Jay 535i
04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Alright, thanks for that.

I do keep my car waxed, and I would only use the duster when the car is otherwise clean, so I guess it's safe if I'm careful.

onewhippedpuppy
04-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I've used it for years on the interior (the little one), but rarely touch the outside with it. Dust in the garage would be ok, but any dirt would act as an abrasive and scratch the paint, especially with a black car. If it's not very dirty use a quick detailer type product, at least it has a lubricant.

GS535i
04-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I've used one on the exteriors of the P-cars and black 535 for years - use a very light sweeping motion: never any pressure. If you do this, they wick up dust very well and not damage the paint. As the 'duster' darkens with use, it seems to become more effective. If the car is soiled from having been driven in the wet .... wash it: the california duster works with electrostatically held dust, not a dried on film of road crud.