PDA

View Full Version : Drop Spindles?

afxjzs
04-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I mentioned to a mechanic friend of mine that since i put my new wheels on, i would like to put on a lowered, sportier suspension. he told me that that best way to lower a car is to use "drop spindles".
i haven't heard of this method before...
is this really preferred?

I have been looking at a few sets of springs/shocks, mostly from bav auto...particularly the sachs performance suspension.

my car has two new-ish front shocks that i didn't pay for, so i really only need to change the springs...but if the price is right ill swap the whole thing out.

has anyone here installed that? results? i have a non-vanos 92 525iM.
any reccomendations?

cschollum
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Drop spindles replace the stock hubs spindles. The location of the axle in the spindle is higher than stock, thus dropping the vehicle

tnt525i
04-07-2006, 11:56 AM
never heard of them being available for the bmw's i know they are easily available for american cars, but for german cars? well who knows

brodee
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Drop spindles are for cars without struts. On a BMW like ours there is no true spindle, the hub assembly is mounted to the strut assembly.

I used drop spindles like these
http://www.djmsuspension.com/Images/Products/Spindles/Ds2056-2SM.jpg
to lower the front end of my Chevy truck. The nice thing about doing the drop at the spindle is you don't change the spring rate at all and still have full spring travel (barring any clearance issues).