PDA

View Full Version : Rear Deck Rattles- Any Tips?

onewhippedpuppy
04-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Is there anything back there that can be tightened, etc? I get an annoying rattle over big bumps or when slamming my doors.

Russell
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Check the bentley on rear seat back, seat belt anchor and speaker removal. Any of these could rattle.

Note there are some sort of clips behind the seat back holding the panel in place. If they are loose, I supect the panel would rattle big time.

I need to remove mine for recovering this spring.

Is there anything back there that can be tightened, etc? I get an annoying rattle over big bumps or when slamming my doors.

Kalevera
04-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Parcel shelf sounds can be misleading. Check the tire iron if it's mounted in the factory spot (can rattle against the chassis, hard to diagnose). Also, if the headliner or C pillar trim panels have ever been removed, check their mounting clips -- if they break, the panels will rattle. And then there's the clip on the parcel shelf that fits into place by the 3rd brake light. Make sure that's seated if the parcel shelf was removed.

best, whit

onewhippedpuppy
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
So if I pull the seatback are there screws/clips to check on the front edge? I already went through the jack location, there was a lot loose back there.

SS525i
04-07-2006, 12:43 PM
I've also heard that installing a child seat tether anchor will eliminate rattling of the parcel shelf ...

Toeks
04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
does the parcel shelf come out? Whats the correct procedure for removing it? Can't find it in my Bentley Manual.

Russell
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Bentley section 720.3 has some information on removing rear seat belts (and clips) section 520 has rear seat info and section 650-2 as how to undo speakers

Russell
04-07-2006, 01:25 PM
see above for Bentley info

Jr ///M5
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Like Whit says, the sounds can be misleading. Have someone ride in the backseat and place their hand on top of the parcel shelf near the base of the rear window. Hold pressure down on the parcel shelf while you drive over a known bump that will cause the sound. If it still rattles, you have eliminated the parcel shelf clips as a cause for the rattle.

My old 535 had a loose clip and I had my daughter ride in the back and hold down the shelf in this manner. The noise stopped so I removed the rear seats and the rear parcel shelf. The hold down clips at the rear of the shelf were loose and I tighten them up by re-bending the clip. Re-installed the shelf and no more rattles. Take care when removing the parcel shelf, it needs to be lifted slightly and then pulled straight out to release the clips, then turn it slightly without too much pressure on it to gain some clearance while keeping it low and pull straight out.

Hope you find the rattle....they can be annoying....

Jr

scott540
04-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I got kind of the same thing except more of a squeak, happens when it's hot outside, goes away when someone sits in the back. took the whole thing apart. Never did fix it. Yeah, I know, that was a lot of help wasn't it.

pundit
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Does your E34 have a rear roller blind fitted?

Kalevera
04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
No US E34 has a rear blind, unless it was retrofitted on to the car.

best, whit

onewhippedpuppy
04-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Like Whit said, no blind. If I can knock out the rear rattle and a squeak from the passenger side front door, I'll be nearly rattle free.

Nick.Hay
04-07-2006, 11:58 PM
My parcel shelf used to vibrate BIG TIME due to 2000W of subs in the boot!!

I got 3 of the biggest washers I could find, and 3 allen-key head bolts,and bolted them into the child-seat anchor points.

Phil Sanderson
04-08-2006, 12:44 AM
...with someone in the back drive over some bumps. Look for movement of the parcel shelf up and down and listen for squeaks. My squeak was a broken shock absorber mount, they're positioned on either side under the parcel shelf by the doors.

regards
Phil