PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Canada Order From Tire_Rack?

Dave M
04-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Looking for 16" Kumho rubber. Best local price is $150 CAN. for the 712. Tire Rack is $71 US. Not sure if its worth the shipping. Their 1-888 # doesn't work from here :(

OR, does someone know a good source in Canada for the 712?

Any input welcome,

Dave M

Jay 535i
04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I asked this question a while back and the answer I got was that it is indeed worthwhile ordering from Tire Rack, even after factoring in shipping and duty.

I forget who, but a few Canadians around here said they'd done it and saved money over buying locally.

Lennyz525i
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Not that this post is totally relevant but the Tirerack rocks! I ordered a set of tires on monday 4pm pacific and it was at my freight forwarder based in miami on thursday morning. The people are very knowledgeable too. Shipping to canada shouldn't be too much different from shipping domestically, should it?

ps, do you have to pay import tax of any kind if you order stuff from the US?

Jay 535i
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
ps, do you have to pay import tax of any kind if you order stuff from the US?

Yes, and that's what Dave is worried about. Shipping charges are no biggie, and you no in advance what they will be. What we Canadians fear when ordering from the US is a letter from customs a month later telling us we owe them.

Traian
04-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I bouught some BF Goodriches from Tire Rack. Here the cheapest I found were ~$160 per tire + tax, Tire Rack had them for $74 US. The delivery is super quick (~2 days), but they send through UPS which means you are looking at taxes, duty and brokerage fees. That usually runs the regular 15% tax + ~$50, call UPS to find out exactly. Still a much better deal than you'll find locally.

Traian
04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
If you have a US mailing address near the border you can send them there and you only pay the taxes when bringing them in to Canada I believe (no brokerage fees). Or you can mount them across the border and smuggle them in and pay nothing.

Qube
04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Yep. It's worth it.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19679&highlight=tirerack

If you have any sort of brokerage account, USE IT, otherwise you'll pay a very high premium because they ship UPS... but still worth it.

Dave M
04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Heres what I figure:

Kumho 712s x 4 WITH shipping from TireRack = $420 CAN including shipping, after exchange. Factor in Qube’s $130 ‘border fees’ (good estimate) and we’re up to $580. We haven’t had them installed and balanced yet, so it’ll end up over $600 (totally guessing at install/balance costs).

Kumho 712s x 4 locally = $658 after tax, installed and balanced. The tires will be here early next week and I don’t have to worry about border delays and unforeseen $$. I have it down to a T with BMA, but the rack doesn’t seem to be too willing to help offset import costs with ‘tricks of the trade’. Also, the amount in gas I'd spent driving to the border would outweigh the benefit.

So, in the end I went local. Plus it feels better to help a local bidness.

Dave M

Lennyz525i
04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, and that's what Dave is worried about. Shipping charges are no biggie, and you no in advance what they will be. What we Canadians fear when ordering from the US is a letter from customs a month later telling us we owe them.

Damn, but I've ordered stuff from Canada and not have to deal with that. They were small orders though.

Does nafta work both ways or not at all?

SharkmanBMW
04-07-2006, 01:51 PM
nafta is a joke on us in Canada, one way policy, and Bush doesn't even honour it!

Jay 535i
04-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Damn, but I've ordered stuff from Canada and not have to deal with that. They were small orders though.

Does nafta work both ways or not at all?

The stuff you ordered from Canada was probably made in the USA, hence no duty.

I don't really know how it all works. NAFTA is supposed to make it simpler, but each of the three countries only adhere to NAFTA when it suits them (especially the US).

What you're paying for when you import something is the duty that would have been buried in the sticker price if the item were on sale in a Canadian outlet. What I don't get is why I don't get the US duty back on something made in Korea, sold in the US but shipped to Canada. I figure I should have to pay duty for one country, but not two.

Who the hell knows how it all works. It's a mess. Suffice to say the government can send you a bill any time they like and there's nothing you can do about it.

Traian
04-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I think NAFTA means you don't pay duties on things manufactured in the US, Canada or Mexico. If it comes from the US and is made in Germany for example, duties apply. And taxes always apply. I think the best way to go about the matter is make your financial plans assuming the worst (full pop on taxes, duties and brokerage fees) and hope you'll have a pleasant surprise.

Dave M
04-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I think NAFTA means you don't pay duties on things manufactured in the US, Canada or Mexico. If it comes from the US and is made in Germany for example, duties apply. And taxes always apply. I think the best way to go about the matter is make your financial plans assuming the worst (full pop on taxes, duties and brokerage fees) and hope you'll have a pleasant surprise.

Thats a good explanation, as well as a wise importing strategy;)

dave M

Paul in NZ
04-07-2006, 03:10 PM
how far a drive to the nearest tire rack Dave?

GS535i
04-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Local shoppping is not always bad: weighing the options last fall, I went to the local Goodyear dealer. I bought a set of EVO Z, made by Dunlop ( Z rated with UTQG rating of 420 :) ) for $135 each plus all the usual GST, etc.
They have turned out to be as good as Michelin PS2s in the wet .... and quiet: plus, if I cut one .... there is local Canuk service available within minutes ....

Black 535i
04-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I may be able to help

Dave M
04-08-2006, 03:03 AM
Black 535i

I'm way the hel! up north in Thunder Bay ON. I'm reasonably happy with the deal I've got, but am open to suggestions.

Any input appreciated,

Dave M

ra_pro
04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Try www.1010tires.com and www.tiretrends.com. I would highly recommend Fuzion tires made by Bridgestone, cheap and very good. I bought 15'' Fuzions for less than 90 CAD per tire locally.

Dave M
04-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks pro. Good sites, I had no idea we had large mail order tire places available here.

I looked up the Kumhos at "tiretrends" for reference. and after taxes/shipping they were $605 CAN. Locally they are $655, but that includes mounting/balacing, plus the fact that the vendor is a few km away. I don't think I'd be any further ahead by ordering from one of these places. I've saved the sites for later, I'm sure they'll come in handy.

Dave M

Dave M
04-08-2006, 11:54 AM
how far a drive to the nearest tire rack Dave?

Oh, lets see......Thunder Bay to Indiana.......@40 hour round trip is my guess. I'd need a new set of shoes by the time i got back ;)

Dave M

Paul in NZ
04-08-2006, 03:10 PM
gulp