PDA

View Full Version : Is there a shorter Boge shock for lowered cars?

Island530i
04-07-2006, 06:12 AM
I was going to install a set of Eibach's and still can't figure which shocks to use. I've been reading all the old threads and it seems alot of people like the ride with the stock Boge's, but it seems if you drop the full extension is not possible leading to bottoming and eventually blowing them out. I thought I had seen a post by Jeff mentioning shortened Boge's but now can't find it. So basically I would like to know if I would be setting the stocks up for iminent failure.

Island530i
04-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Also while I'm here, does anyone else get bumped after about three minutes of being logged on?

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 06:20 AM
that bumping is your internet provider, i have been rock steady. as in cutting the bump stops that was on the Bilsteins.

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm

Island530i
04-07-2006, 06:26 AM
that bumping is your internet provider, i have been rock steady. as in cutting the bump stops that was on the Bilsteins.

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm
Ahh, ok. So Jeff do you have an opinion on running Boge's with Eibach's with a V8 up front?

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 06:31 AM
no i dont, never ran Boges so I cant comment. I think with them you have to run the stock bumpstops and chop them down....not sure. I had the stock shocks and cut the stops and it was pretty much riding on the stops with the Bavauto springs...thats all the experience I have personally on the subject.

Ahh, ok. So Jeff do you have an opinion on running Boge's with Eibach's with a V8 up front?

Island530i
04-07-2006, 06:35 AM
no i dont, never ran Boges so I cant comment. I think with them you have to run the stock bumpstops and chop them down....not sure. I had the stock shocks and cut the stops and it was pretty much riding on the stops with the Bavauto springs...thats all the experience I have personally on the subject.
Thank's for the info.

pundit
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
According to George Mann you can use standard Boge shock with lowering springs...

"There is a long held myth about so called lowering shocks or shocks designed for lowering springs with reduced travel versus shocks designed for standard or taller springs. The best way to visualize it without physically looking at the shocks side by side is...the only tangible difference is the stroke is shorter in a shock designed expressly for a lowering spring...the throw is shorter. Full jounce position or fully compressed shock position is exactly the same...that is the critical factor for bottoming...wh ere the jounce bumper fully compresses onto the top of the strut collar nut threaded onto the strut housing...that shoulder position is the same for either shock and each shock will identically compress into its cartridge casing. With a standard Boge shock lets say..the throw of the rod internal to the shock is a bit longer..that's all...so the shock is cabable of "extending" farther...at full suspension rebound or when the suspension arms are fully down with a taller spring. With a shorter spring..you don't need a longer throw shock...however..this is the important part...Is putting a standard Boge with longer travel with a lowering spring bad? Absolutely not...you just end up not using the full travel capability of standard shock with a shorter lowering spring... that's all. All the speculation of a standard shock..say Boge..wearing out faster with a lowering spring...is a myth. (From George Mann)"

Full article here... http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/suspensions.htm

Bear in mind that even if there is no mechanical issues using the Boges with lowering springs, a spring with a higher rate (stiffer) will require a shocker with greater dampening. Standard Boges maybe okay with something like the Eibach Prokit springs, but the Sach kit uses Eibach springs with Boge/Sach dampeners which are engineered as a package so I would think that standard Boges with non standard springs would not be an optimally tuned combination. Also if you plan on using your existing Boges they are probably well past their prime and would be even less suitable for the task.

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
couldnt have said it better myself! I never read this article.

According to George Mann you can use standard Boge shock with lowering springs...

"There is a long held myth about so called lowering shocks or shocks designed for lowering springs with reduced travel versus shocks designed for standard or taller springs. The best way to visualize it without physically looking at the shocks side by side is...the only tangible difference is the stroke is shorter in a shock designed expressly for a lowering spring...the throw is shorter. Full jounce position or fully compressed shock position is exactly the same...that is the critical factor for bottoming...wh ere the jounce bumper fully compresses onto the top of the strut collar nut threaded onto the strut housing...that shoulder position is the same for either shock and each shock will identically compress into its cartridge casing. With a standard Boge shock lets say..the throw of the rod internal to the shock is a bit longer..that's all...so the shock is cabable of "extending" farther...at full suspension rebound or when the suspension arms are fully down with a taller spring. With a shorter spring..you don't need a longer throw shock...however..this is the important part...Is putting a standard Boge with longer travel with a lowering spring bad? Absolutely not...you just end up not using the full travel capability of standard shock with a shorter lowering spring... that's all. All the speculation of a standard shock..say Boge..wearing out faster with a lowering spring...is a myth. (From George Mann)"

Bear in mind that even if there is no mechanical issues using the Boges with lowering springs, a spring with a higher rate (stiffer) will require a shocker with greater dampening. Standard Boges maybe okay with something like the Eibach Prokit springs, but the Sach kit uses Eibach springs with Boge/Sach dampeners which are engineered as a package so I would think that standard Boges with non standard springs would not be an optimally tuned combination. Also if you plan on using your existing Boges they are probably well past their prime and would be even less suitable for the task.

Island530i
04-08-2006, 06:30 AM

I think that is one of the best answers I've ever recieved here. Thank's.

Evan
04-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Where is George Mann? I was always amazed at how much he knows about these cars (and cars, in general)