PDA

View Full Version : 10% Ethanol

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Has hit my area.

I remember the last ethanol bout, all the cars smelt like corn pops.

angrypancake
04-06-2006, 08:54 PM
gotta have my pops

F4Phantom
04-07-2006, 12:35 AM
ethanol is a great thing. Hopefully it will continue to increase. We get E10 here, in the us they have had engines designed to run on E85 which is awesome. I would like to see us relying on home grown fuel more and more. I also have a diesel 4x4, this can run on biodiesel which is the same thing. I dont know if E10 has any biodiesel qualities but biodiesel gives great performance, economy and keeps the engine clean. pollution is also way way way down.

genphreak
04-07-2006, 04:44 AM
ethanol is a great thing. Hopefully it will continue to increase. We get E10 here, in the us they have had engines designed to run on E85 which is awesome. I would like to see us relying on home grown fuel more and more. I also have a diesel 4x4, this can run on biodiesel which is the same thing. I dont know if E10 has any biodiesel qualities but biodiesel gives great performance, economy and keeps the engine clean. pollution is also way way way down.It sthe usual problem, change the fuel and you need to cahnge the engine. 10% is not much, but it does hinder performance a bit. Some have claimed horrors, but a lot of it is the fossil fuel lobby protecting their patch. I just can;t stand half-measures.

What we need is methanol, pure and gentle to the engine. :) Nick

632 Regal
04-07-2006, 06:22 AM
it drops my mileage about 1 point, winter fuel does the same. If I fill up with winter fuel that contains 10% meth then i drop 2 points...from about 23.5 to 20 if im real easy on the go fast peddle.

DallasBill
04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm not saying MTBE was the answer, but ethanol isn't either the way our politicians have mandated it!

It costs more energy to produce than a gallon of gas. We don't have the facilities or capacity to produce ethanol for the MTBE that's being phased out. It can't be carried in pipelines and injected into the production process at the refinery like MTBE can. It has to be trucked to the refineries and mixed in from the tankers.

Now, do you want to know how many refineries, already running at capacity because we have not built a new one in 25+ years, are equipped to handle that new process, all the while changing over from winter to summer mix refining?!?!

You think gas is expensive now... just wait. Talk about a sellout to the Midwest corn lobby!

It just hit the Krogers here.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-12-2006, 12:16 PM
and I am sure it cost more to ship this stuff to Hawaii then, cooking crude oil into gas here.

Jay 535i
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm not saying MTBE was the answer, but ethanol isn't either the way our politicians have mandated it!

It costs more energy to produce than a gallon of gas.

True, but that money is going into the hands of American businesses and citizens, for the most part. Contrast that with gasoline.

Not that you're not right. You are. But this is perhaps one small item for the 'pro' column. Overall it still doesn't make much sense, I agree. But this point is enough to swing elections, and this stuff is all political.

DallasBill
04-13-2006, 09:03 AM
True, but that money is going into the hands of American businesses and citizens, for the most part. Contrast that with gasoline.

Not that you're not right. You are. But this is perhaps one small item for the 'pro' column. Overall it still doesn't make much sense, I agree. But this point is enough to swing elections, and this stuff is all political.
1) Once the crude was/is here, all the money goes into American hands too. It's being refined into gasoline by, and sold by, American companies; except for Citgo, which is Venuzuelan-government owned.
2) All the MTBE money was going into American hands too... it was made here.
3) We can't refine enough so we are now importing refined gasoline from Mexico and elsewhere. Guess where that money goes?

Buy today's Wall Street Journal and read the front page article in the 'Money and Investing' section to see who is benefitting with ethanol and what you can expect in the mad rush to get this stuff to market.

Jon K
04-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Throw some toulene in

Bill R.
04-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Here (http://www.brownfieldnetwork.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=8F0FB832-D636-6A35-A639118303A96CBC)

Are you really not aware of the reason that MTBE is being phased out? Have you seen the clean up costs to date for it? Here's a little report on MTBE that you might want to read
(http://www.ewg.org/reports/withknowledge/)

It costs more energy to produce than a gallon of gas. We don't have the facilities or capacity to produce ethanol for the MTBE that's being phased out. It can't be carried in pipelines and injected into the production process at the refinery like MTBE can. It has to be trucked to the refineries and mixed in from the tankers.

Now, do you want to know how many refineries, already running at capacity because we have not built a new one in 25+ years, are equipped to handle that new process, all the while changing over from winter to summer mix refining?!?!

You think gas is expensive now... just wait. Talk about a sellout to the Midwest corn lobby!

It just hit the Krogers here.

DallasBill
04-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm totally aware. I already said it's not the answer.

Dash01
04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
1.) The corn-based fuel additive makes a wonderful subsidy for Archer Daniels Midland and the other corporate citizens on K Street, who own the best congressmen that money can buy. The US taxpayer covers that cost. That, coupled with all of our various aspects of Middle East policy, makes for an effective bottom-line cost of fuel at ~$5 to $6/gallon. In other words, even though we pay ~$2.75/gallon at the pump, by the time we pay for corn subsidies and middle east involvement, the real price is much higher. And, the corn subsidies mean that US agriculture has such a surplus that it floods the market, putting Mexican subsistence farmers out of work, so they sneak into the US to feed their families, paying little or no taxes into the bargain. They do, however, get "free" medical care at the taxpayer's expense at the local hospital.

When the dollar drops even further (many economists predict a major decline) due to government deficits and borrowing, then fuel numbers will get a lot worse, since we are a net importer of fuel.

2.) Corn is not necessarily the best or most efficient way to produce domestic fuel. Other crops work better, as the Brazilians found with sugar cane. Fortunately, some scientists are working on algae-based fuel derivatives, including some with genetic engineering to make more productive algae. I wish they'd hurry up.

BillionPa
04-15-2006, 11:06 PM
E10 gas lowers my gas mileage by more than 10%, therefore I am using MORE foreign oil by using it. If i use ethanol free Shell V-Power gas with acetone treatment, my mileage is about 25-30% higher than with E10, and I get significantly more power and low RPM torque.

sKilled
04-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Hmmm ethanol, yummy.

DallasBill
04-18-2006, 12:51 PM
E10 gas lowers my gas mileage by more than 10%, therefore I am using MORE foreign oil by using it. If i use ethanol free Shell V-Power gas with acetone treatment, my mileage is about 25-30% higher than with E10, and I get significantly more power and low RPM torque.
Thanks for the tip... I'll see if it's here in Dallas.
:)