PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster upgrade

mkovic
04-06-2006, 01:51 PM
My analogue instrument cluster has broken plastic cover so I bought a replacement. The replacement has a nice digital display on the bottom, which of course I like better. :-)
Is there any way I could wire this cluster with LCD display in instead of analogue one? I have both clusters out on my desk. Looking at the back I can see that analogue one has 2 connectors and coding plug while digital one has 4 connectors and no coding plug.
Was this modification ever done or is it mission impossible?
If it matters: the car has BC IV installed.

cschollum
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
My analogue instrument cluster has broken plastic cover so I bought a replacement. The replacement has a nice digital display on the bottom, which of course I like better. :-)
Is there any way I could wire this cluster with LCD display in instead of analogue one? I have both clusters out on my desk. Looking at the back I can see that analogue one has 2 connectors and coding plug while digital one has 4 connectors and no coding plug.
Was this modification ever done or is it mission impossible?
If it matters: the car has BC IV installed.

if your car only has 2 plugs behind the cluster, then you cant fit this without a replacement loom, that has the 4 plugs required.

mitch2k
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Sorry for bringing up this old topic...

Anyone upgraded the normal cluster to the version with lcd yet?

I have 2 plugs on my current cluster.

mkovic
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm still working on it. Managed to fabricate an adapter of some sort. The gauges and warning lights all work, the display turns on but it just blinks. I'm not 100% sure but I suspect it's the coding plug problem though. I have the old version with the coding plug in the connector so if anyone has an idea how what might be wrong I would be very greatful for any insight.

E34-520iSE
05-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I replaced my analogue dash with the digital one from a 535 early last year. It works great too! I never fitted the CCM but the digital display still works, it shows things like HANDBRAKE ON, LOW BRAKE FLUID, OIL PRESSURE SENSOR, BRAKE LININGS, CHECK OWNERS MANUAL, plus some others I can't remember now. The coding plug that came with your cluster should be fine, but you may find your MPG display is dead & the temp guage is incorrect.
If the display is flashing then re-check your wiring. It is VERY complicated and took me weeks to research and connect. Have you connected the OBC-dash cluster lines up? The OBC will have it's own coding plug. Try removing the coding plug from the OBC, so you are only using the dash one and see what happens then.

HTH,

Shaun

mkovic
05-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the input. :-)
Glad to hear it can actually be done. I'm working on the wiring for a while now. Didn't connect the OBC lines yet though. Do you think that might be the problem with the LCD?
Your original cluster was a 2 plug version with blue and yellow connectors?

mitch2k
05-02-2006, 08:02 AM
I have an LCD cluster on it's way...

Maybe someone can help me for the right wiring and stuff please?

mkovic
05-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm documenting my progress. If i manage to get everything working I'll be glad to help you.
Will you get the connectors with the cluster? It would definitly help.

mitch2k
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
No, it is just the cluster.. Tommorow I must go to the shop for some small second hand parts, so I'll try to get the connectors.

The connector with a piece of the wire is enough?

Thanks for the help!!

mkovic
05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
The connector with a piece of the wire is enough?

Yes, a few centimeters will do so you can splice it into original wiring harness.
Which years is the donor car you are getting cluster from?

mitch2k
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
As I just see, it look likes it is from a 750i. I hope this aint a problem...
I've mailed the owner for exact details...

This is the back of the cluster:

http://www.teilemann.de/images/showimage.php?id=884B&io=XL

colamangr
05-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Hello Guys!

I have right now also a cluster with two connectors and i have a spare M5 cluster that i want to install. Is that possible?

Thanks!

mitch2k
05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I guess the '2 plug clusters' are kinda plug and play...

colamangr
05-02-2006, 11:10 AM
The M5 cluster uses also 4 plugs... The back is the same as the 750 above.

mitch2k
05-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Ah sorry, didn't readed it well. Thought the m5 one had 2 plugs. I guess it have an LCD? Then you'll have to get the plugs that fit in, and wait for the documentation from mkovic :D.

I really hope I get it to work...

colamangr
05-02-2006, 11:22 AM
No problem! Yes it has an LCD heres a picture of it:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=153062&d=1146400642
I am going to have the plugs soon! So i am waiting for the documentation!

I hope it too...

E34-520iSE
05-02-2006, 11:32 AM
If the 4 plugs you get are from a similar age of car to your 520, then you should find the wires pretty much match up colour for colour. There's some odd ones though, like the foglight lines & temp guage. I still have my scribble sheets somewhere from when I did my install. I'll try and hunt them down for you. Are you going to install the CCM too? GOOD LUCK!!

HTH,

Shaun

mkovic
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM
This is the version with the code plug installed, very good. :-)
If I'm not mistaken the 750 is a 12 cylinder car. I suspect (not sure though) you might have a problem with tachometer. While it takes 6 pulses to make one revolution in 6 cylinder car it will take 12 pulses with 12 cylinder so the reading "could" be off by half.
I'm sure someone on the board will be able to help clear this up better than me.

colamangr
05-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I have the hole clauster wiring with a CCM from a 735i wiil it work?

colamangr
05-03-2006, 10:28 AM
bump...

colamangr
05-04-2006, 10:06 AM
C'mon guys anyone???????

colamangr
05-07-2006, 03:52 AM
Do we have any progress?

E34-520iSE
05-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I have the whole cluster wiring with a CCM from a 735i wiil it work?
You will get the cluster to fit, after you butcher your 2-plug loom into a 4-plug loom. The CCM is a no-no. You would be better off fitting the WHOLE loom from a 525 M50 or M20 (whichever you have) to suit.

HTH,

Shaun

colamangr
05-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I am going to install a m30 to my car from a 735(e32) and i have also the loom of a 735(e32). So can i install the whole loom from the 735 and then get it work?

E34-520iSE
05-07-2006, 08:18 AM
You want a loom from a 535 (e34).

HTH,

Shaun

colamangr
05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
:-( And i thought they where the same...

mitch2k
05-07-2006, 11:10 AM
What is "the loom" exactly. I guess it is the collection of cables, but from where to where?
What is CCM?

Sorry for the noob questions :D

mitch2k
05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Any updates yet?

I've just recieved my cluster. I've connected the 2 connectors (blue and yellow). I tought basic stuff would work, but not. The light of the airbag, and the light of the big beams burn constant.. No indication of turning lights, preheating, rpm, speed, fuel,... Is this normal? I tought the 2 connectors that I don't have, only are used for the LCD..

mkovic
05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately is not that easy. You need to route appropriate sensor data to all 4 connectors, basically you need to make an adapter from 2 connectors to 4. I almost managed to do that, the basic functions work (RPM, speed, fuel gauge, illumination, gong..) but I'm still having problems with temp gauge and fuel consumption. The fogs indicators don't work either but I will worry about that later on. It bugs me that I don't get any OBC data to the cluster either, but I can also live with that for now. :)
CC stands for check-control (in this case, it can be abbreviation for cruise control in other contexts). It's the unit that supplies data to LCD display in the cluster, such as "door open", "lights on"... If you don't have it in your car none of those messages will appear on the LCD display. The display will still show sensor activated data though, like the overheating massage or parking brake warning.
If you want you can email me the pics of your connectors with wires going to them and I'll do my best to tell you to which pin in the new cluster you need to connect them. Mind you though, that this is still work in progress so I still have some troubleshooting to do.

mkovic
05-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I would be very greatfull for those scribble sheets. Having exectly the same problems: foglight lines and temp gauge. Did you get everything to to work eventuly? Are you getting OBC data to LCD?

Thanks,
Matej

mkovic
05-19-2006, 11:23 AM
I managed to get the OBC connected so that LCD in the cluster displays relevant data.
I replaced all the caps (5 of them) but not working temp and instant fuel consumption gauges remain a mystery.
The car is at the mechanic over the weekend, getting the engine replaced and I kinda optimisticly hope fuel gauge problem will come down to the faulty temp sensor.

colamangr
05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
What do grey and white connectors do?

mkovic
05-31-2006, 04:08 AM
Project complete. :)

The CC cluster is installed and working flawlessly.
Below are a few pointer for those wishing to do this upgrade.
First: let me just say that if your old cluster is working, leave it be and don't try this upgrade. :)
Seriously, the project is not that complicated now that I know what to do and where to look but it will take time and patience.
Before you do anything replace all the caps in the cluster. I can't stress the importance of this enough. I had all sorts of problems that ware impossible to trace until I changed them. From then on it went fine.
You can fabricate an adapter tracing wire colors and matching them, but you will need to route a few of them directly from OBC, datalink and coolant temperature sensor.
Old E34 (mine did) uses coolant temp sensor with just one pin. This one will have to be replaced with newer version and additional wire routed to the cluster loom.
I will take pics and do a write up if someone is interested in details.

colamangr
05-31-2006, 06:37 AM

First: let me just say that if your old cluster is working, leave it be and don't try this upgrade. :)
Seriously, the project is not that complicated now that I know what to do and where to look but it will take time and patience.
Before you do anything replace all the caps in the cluster. I can't stress the importance of this enough. I had all sorts of problems that ware impossible to trace until I changed them. From then on it went fine.
You can fabricate an adapter tracing wire colors and matching them, but you will need to route a few of them directly from OBC, datalink and coolant temperature sensor.
Old E34 (mine did) uses coolant temp sensor with just one pin. This one will have to be replaced with newer version and additional wire routed to the cluster loom.
I am very interested in putting the M5 cluster to my 520... So it would be nice if you did a write up... :-)

shuriken
06-16-2006, 05:28 AM

I'm looking to do the same from my old E34 535 to my 525i. So any advice or diagrames would be very welcome. Mechanics yes, electrics NO! :)

colamangr
06-16-2006, 06:55 AM
And if you could upload them so we can all see them...