PDA

View Full Version : 1991 - 535iM second gear rough

Thanos
03-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi:
I have noticed that 2nd gear seems harder to find; a little notchy going down, and occasionally it does not engage.
Once in, and for all other gears, eveything is fine.
I am obviously a novice...is this something I should be worrying about, and if so, what might be the culprit; what is to be done?

Thanks in advance.

bahnstormer
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
your syncro's might be a little worn, its pretty normal for 2nd gear to get like
that - how many miles are on the gearbox?

Thanos
03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the help. Well..about 123,000 miles. I hope you tell me this is no big deal and that I should just live with it; a trnasmission repair sounds ugly.
Thanos

Warren N.CA
03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
When's the last time it was replaced? Should be about every 30K.

I suggest RedLine MTL. Then if that isn't better, try RedLine D4 ATF.

I use MTL, and both my trannies shift really nice, now. (Yes I have 2 cars!)

Hi:
I have noticed that 2nd gear seems harder to find; a little notchy going down, and occasionally it does not engage.
Once in, and for all other gears, eveything is fine.
I am obviously a novice...is this something I should be worrying about, and if so, what might be the culprit; what is to be done?

Thanks in advance.

Thanos
03-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. I will have my repair shop (The Little Garage in Queens, NY) replace it when they do my NYS inspection next month. BTW, how many liters of this stuff should I bring them?

Robin~535im
03-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Changing my tranny mounts made 2nd easier to find in my case.

It used to pop out occassionally but rarely does now... Though I also switched to Redline MTL at the same time that I did the mounts so I'm not following the scientific method properly :)

The tranny mounts can deform when old and allow the rear of the tranny to sit too low, causing the shift lever to hit the console/boot when trying to find second. Hence, you're not 100% in 2nd and it can grind or pop out.

HTH,

Robin

Thanos
03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks. I will have them take a look at them when they do the job. I appreciate the help. This site is a real find.

Warren N.CA
03-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys. I will have my repair shop (The Little Garage in Queens, NY) replace it when they do my NYS inspection next month. BTW, how many liters of this stuff should I bring them?