PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

billmcdaniel5
04-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I have a 1989 535im. The dash gauges are starting to act up, all the classic symptoms of bad capacitors: no trip odometer, fuel and temp erratic, forgets what language to display. The car is an early version and the stomp test won’t display engine codes.

I’m thinking that since I have to pull the gauges, and really don’t have soldering skills, that I should swap out the gauges for newer, or rebuilt set. Will this give the car the stomp test/engine codes and will I have a true odometer reading? Is this a cost effective idea or should I stick with the original unit and have someone local fix it?

Thanks,

angrypancake
04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
how early is it? i have a 11/88 build date 535 and it displays the codes... other than that, uhhh lets let those that know answer

632 Regal
04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
i dont think you can upgrade to the newer cluster without MAJOR changing of wiring, the color codes wont match etc...

cschollum
04-06-2006, 01:30 PM
up to 02/89 the coding plug was built into the loom, and if you upgrade to a newer cluster the coding plug is built into the cluster, now as long as its from the same engine car and fuel tak size etc then, simply remove the coding plug from the loom and plug the loom into the cluster

you will find the small( 1 inch ) plastic box built into the brown plug at the rear of the cluster, it should pull out.
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/299960/old_cp_location.jpg

however your best answer is to find the same year cluster, i have one in an 89 and its always worked fine - it will stop at 299,000miles but apart from that should be fine, even if you get a later one, you could still have capacitor issues

regards stomp test, i could be wrong but, im sure the signal comes from the ecu and only available on US cars

billmcdaniel5
04-06-2006, 01:35 PM
The sticker on the driver's side door piller say 12/88.

sKilled
04-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread a bit, but how do you change the display language? I want mine in German (because I am, but my car is a UK import).

cschollum
04-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread a bit, but how do you change the display language? I want mine in German (because I am, but my car is a UK import).

1. Turn the ignition key to position one (first click).

2. Push and hold down the cc button (right one) on the instrument cluster.

3. After 10 seconds or so in the cc display will appear a language name. If you want this language turn off the ignition and it is done. If you don´t want this language go again to step 2...