PDA

View Full Version : running aircon in winter to stop gas leaking out?

F4Phantom
04-05-2006, 05:36 AM
I have been told to run the aircon 1 time or more a week to stop the gas leaking out from dry seals as apparently the gas carries the lube. Cool. So it's coming up to winter here in Aust. So is it cool if I run it with the heater on? Obvioulsy you get your windscreen demisted very well with dry air, but

1 in our cars is there any potential to damage anything

2 is hot aircon on just as good to lube it up as cold air con on

thanks

winfred
04-05-2006, 06:13 AM
won't hurt a thing, the heater core is after the evaporator in the airflow in the case so the ac is uneffected

Russell
04-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I turn mine on for 5 minutes when I think about it during the winter. Cross my fingers, but I, or the PO, never had any refridgant put in since the compressor was replaced about 90,000 miles ago.

My wife's Explorer with auto climate control will turn the air on when it thinks the interior is to hot from the heater even in the winter. Many modern cars will use the air in all seasons.

Just an observation.

I have been told to run the aircon 1 time or more a week to stop the gas leaking out from dry seals as apparently the gas carries the lube. Cool. So it's coming up to winter here in Aust. So is it cool if I run it with the heater on? Obvioulsy you get your windscreen demisted very well with dry air, but

1 in our cars is there any potential to damage anything

2 is hot aircon on just as good to lube it up as cold air con on

thanks

KenB
04-05-2006, 08:03 AM
I've always heard this is a good practice to keep seals from drying. In most American cars the full defrost setting turns on the A/C compressor for the quickest defrosting of the windshield. In our cars you have to do it manually. It also helps to turn on the recirculating setting for quick defrost.

When I lived in SoCal, I rarely used the A/C and the seals did dry out eventually, I didn't know of this practice back then.

Good point to bring up for those that are not aware of it.

632 Regal
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
I usually run mine to clear the windshield on the inside when real humid in the cold, works magic.

joshua43214
04-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Just run it with defrost, the AC will unfog the glass far faster and more comfortably that the heater alone will, Oh and turn off the recirc.

Alexlind123
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
The owners manual states that the conscientious car owner should run their A/C at least once a month (i think thats the interval). But you should know that pressing the recirculate button also turns the A/C on to prevent the cabin from becoming stuffy.

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/AC.jpg

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/recirculate.jpg

shogun
04-05-2006, 11:50 AM
When I bought the car in 1994 it was only 4 years old, 1 year not moved as the p/o died.
Seals were dry and I had to buy a new compressor. Since then I have no probs anymore and I use it almost daily due to the recirculation function I have to use in big city Tokyo, where it automatically starts.

Anybody tried to repair a compressor?
Any special shops recommended for parts supply?
I still have the old one and want to repair (at least try) it one day.

joshua43214
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I have "rebuilt" quite a few different compressors, many parts can be order from an aftermarket source if you have the compressor model number, I don't think BMW sources any of the parts besides the clutch and the nose seal.

The nose seal requires special tools to install and remove, but other than that, it is fairly straightforward work. Generaly though, aside from replacing a nose seal, its not worth dealing with. And some repairs can't be done out side of a rebuilding facility.

F4Phantom
04-06-2006, 01:56 AM
This is good info. I will now use the AC all winter. In the E30 I went a winter with no AC and it hammered the system. At least with these cars you dont notice engine drag. As for the quality of these systems I was once driving on the freeway in 41.5 degrees, the AC was frosty and car cool as, the engine was not struggling at all in the heat. NICE.

Paul in NZ
04-06-2006, 03:02 AM
In the winter i often have the aircon on,keeps the windows clear.

sKilled
04-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Too true. Bloody humid NZ weather (well at least in Auckland).

Paul in NZ
04-06-2006, 03:21 AM
yes,with my black car in autumn sometines i get condensation on the windscreen on the inside when its been hot,i have my windscreen sunshade up then its cools quite quickly at night...air con a must then!

Bimmerman
04-06-2006, 04:26 AM
I tend to leave my aircon on through out the year, only adjusting the temperature setting as needed. makes bugger all difference to fuel consumption and helps keep the interior dry. I have been doing this with all my cars through the years and never had to spend money on regas or had dry seals. Just my 5 cents worth, but works for me!

F4Phantom
04-06-2006, 05:01 AM
I think it probably would make a difference to fuel consumption, surely it takes a couple of KW to run.

tdgard
04-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I think it probably would make a difference to fuel consumption, surely it takes a couple of KW to run.

It can't be much. I've never turned my AC off in 6 years of owning this car. I've also only lost about a pound of refrigerant over that time which is easily recharged.