PDA

View Full Version : Rasinfrasin - slightly OT

Scott C
04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Okay, I am sure I will get some sympathy here...
1995 BMW 525i

Dec 2005 - hit my first deer after driving for 28 some years... No big deal, get a new head light assembly, never even claimed it....

Feb 2006 - get rear ended, no big deal, car is slightly damaged ($600), had the dealer fix it, nothing out of my pocket and have a repainted bumper now...

Tonight - get a call from my wife, she hit a deer. What really hurts is she was driving MY CAR!!!! Can you say - THIS SUCKS (yea yea she is fine, at the moment ...) Bumper, hood and fender damage....

I can't believe it...

On the bright side, I may have the front end of the car fully repainted?

Scott

billb
04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
1995 BMW 525i

Dec 2005 - hit my first deer after driving for 28 some years... No big deal, get a new head light assembly, never even claimed it....

Feb 2006 - get rear ended, no big deal, car is slightly damaged ($600), had the dealer fix it, nothing out of my pocket and have a repainted bumper now...

Tonight - get a call from my wife, she hit a deer. What really hurts is she was driving MY CAR!!!! Can you say - THIS SUCKS (yea yea she is fine, at the moment ...) Bumper, hood and fender damage....

I can't believe it...

Scott

"Ginger" is in the shop right now getting a new coat on her left side, and pulling out the door sill. Rigmaster had a door that bolted right up.

Good luck getting the deer damage undone!

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Venison?

Like Ted says...You killed it...now ya gotta eat it!

Scott C
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Venison?

Like Ted says...You killed it...now ya gotta eat it!

Sad thing was the dear still had some spots..... (baby for those in the city...)

Alexlind123
04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Sad thing was the dear still had some spots..... (baby for those in the city...)

Spots=

http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_b/bambi.jpg

angrypancake
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
did anyone ever see the movie bambi vs godzilla? (no i'm not making that up)

sorry to hear about the deer man, i was sitting at a stop light in my mom's truck over the summer and BAM a deer ran into the passenger side door... sooo weird.

632 Regal
04-04-2006, 08:59 PM
if a good shop have the whole thing repainted....remember gordons godly E34.

angrypancake
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
didn't JR's m5 also collide with a deer? and look at that thing.... /drool

Zeuk in Oz
04-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I gather from a few similar posts that hitting deer on your roads is akin to us hitting kangaroos, wallabies and wombats.

In Oz we have "Roo bars" or Bull bars":

Here is my dirty, insect spattered bull bar on my F 250.

Perhaps some-one should make deer bars for your E34s - here in Oz you can even get them made out of plastic or, of course, aluminium.

Sorry once more for the picture (camera-phone) quality.

Edit : BTW - Gayle - you kept wanting to see a picture of my Effie - here it is ! :D

dacoyote
04-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3634309875781837645&q=bambi+godzilla)

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064064/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9YmFtYm kgdnMgZ29kemlsbGEgbW92aWV8ZnQ9MXxteD0yMHxsbT01MDB8 Y289MXxodG1sPTF8bm09MQ__;fc=2;ft=6;fm=1)

dacoyote
04-05-2006, 06:08 AM
I want one...

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-05-2006, 06:30 AM
1995 BMW 525i

I can't believe it...

Scott

My sympathies. Bending metal is never fun. Maybe you could take the opportunity to upgrade to a narrow grille and matching hood...

SharkmanBMW
04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
when I lived in South Oz, we hit a magpie one day, a hare another... back window was broken out of the wagon we had, and the fur just flew in all over... nasty!

Zeuk, my buddy had a car, similar to a cadillac, he had a roo bar on it!!
Hilarious to see a classy car with a roo bar!

I would see roos dead all over, it was crazy!

SharkmanBMW
04-05-2006, 09:57 AM
My sympathies. Bending metal is never fun. Maybe you could take the opportunity to upgrade to a narrow grille and matching hood...

wide grills rule though!!!!!
Why change it?!?!?!?
:D

trumpetr
04-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Geez, Scott,,,sorry about the bad luck with the deer.
Here in Washington state, they say there are three kinds of drivers---- those that HAVE hit deer, those that WILL hit deer, and those that will hit deer AGAIN. Little bastards are everywhere.
At least it was a small one,,,,,ive seen cars after they hit elk,,,and its usually a really bad outcome for both the elk, and the humans.
One local guy, a few years back, hit a huge bull (beef) with a honda accord,,,,it destroyed the front end,,the bull rolled on top of the car, crushing the roof down on the driver---- I dont know who looked worse,,,the bull or the driver-- the driver survived, tho,,the local Indian Reservation had one hell of a BBQ the next day.
So far,,my 95 525 has just been a magnet for rocks thrown up by the endless parade of dump trucks on my main commute. So far.

Alexlind123
04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Geez, Scott,,,sorry about the bad luck with the deer.
Here in Washington state, they say there are three kinds of drivers---- those that HAVE hit deer, those that WILL hit deer, and those that will hit deer AGAIN. Little bastards are everywhere.
At least it was a small one,,,,,ive seen cars after they hit elk,,,and its usually a really bad outcome for both the elk, and the humans.
One local guy, a few years back, hit a huge bull (beef) with a honda accord,,,,it destroyed the front end,,the bull rolled on top of the car, crushing the roof down on the driver---- I dont know who looked worse,,,the bull or the driver-- the driver survived, tho,,the local Indian Reservation had one hell of a BBQ the next day.
So far,,my 95 525 has just been a magnet for rocks thrown up by the endless parade of dump trucks on my main commute. So far.

Im in south western washington and i SEE deer all the time, in our yard and on the road. I have even had to brake hard for deer a couple times to avoid hitting them, but i havent hit one yet. More surprisingly no one that i know has ever hit a deer either.

trumpetr
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
I havent hit one, either,,nor has anyone I know hit one,,,,but, in my line of work,,ive seen lots of people that have. Lots of deer around here, too,,,in my yard,,road,,,,,I could hunt on my place with an apple and a hammer...lol.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
wide grills rule though!!!!!
Why change it?!?!?!?
:D

Just 'cuz the opposite comment would have come had the car been a proper narrow grille.

Suum cuique pulchrum est.
Cicero
:D :D

Scott C
04-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Well the good that comes out of this is I get a freshly painted fender (maybe 2) and a hood refinishing (so stone chips be gone!). $1750 was the estimate with $200 out of my pocket. Headlight assemblies "were" new in 2002 and are now being replaced with "used" so I will have to fight that battle with the insurance company.

I like my grill, but I know no better :D

Evan
04-05-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm glad your wife isn't hurt. You can use your insurance money to fund a complete exterior redo.

Shop around for exterior plastic trim and badges to get an idea what it will cost you... it cost me around $500 a few weeks ago but I think I could have done a little better.

Then shop around for a great body shop that will make your car's body perfectly straight before priming, spraying, and clearcoating it. I'm in the process of doing the same thing and I'll post before and after pics when I have time.

Good Luck!

angrypancake
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Just 'cuz the opposite comment would have come had the car been a proper narrow grille.

Suum cuique pulchrum est.
Cicero
:D :D

that which is yours is beautiful? well.... to each his own is beautiful....