PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Y'all (introduction)

31Hertz
04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Howdy from Knoxville, TN. I admit I have been lurking in the shadows for maybe three months now... I had a 1987 E28 535is 5-speed 3.91 LSD Zinnoberrot for about a year when, in December, a 16-year old with no insurance rammed the back of it going 40mph whilst I was stopped in traffic. I escaped unharmed, but the roof was bent, and the back seat separated. I will post pictures at a later date. I really enjoyed that car. It was my first entry into the world of BMW, and I daresay I am now hooked entirely. I had to find a replacement and happened across a 1995 E34 540i 6-speed Oxfordgrun. So i did some research (mainly on Roadfly <did not know about 'info at the time>) and all the stuff about Nikasil and maintenance and etc... I drove the car (frightened my wife:D ), I took the plunge and purchased the car. I had already done some minor work on my E28, so I figure I could take it one step further. I have already done the oil pump fix. I changed to Mobil 0w-40. Changed the tranny fluid. Changed the diff fluid (I miss the LSD;) ). Flushed brakes. Clutch flush. Spark plugs. Heater core is next! (sheesh really i could make a longer list of what to do next) German cars have always spoken to me; everything just makes sense. I owned a 1971 VW Super Beetle, and this is where I got the nuts 'n bolts "bug." I purchased it from the original owner with 114K miles. Yeah, I know the ODO only goes to 99,999, but she was a school teacher, and you just had to see it. I loved that car, but it was s-l-o-w. Anyway, the E34 is definitely a step above the E28 in comfort and drivability (although the E28 was roomier). It is quiet on the interstate and easy to handle. My wife is not intimidated by it like she was the E28 (even with the extra 100hp!!!) It is almost online with the old car in terms of handling, but much much much quicker. Dual Airbags!!! I drive a mixture of spirited and easy. And I really appreciate all of the advice given on this board. It has brought me a new precise awareness of my car, how to maintain it, and how to drive it. I look forward to taking part in these forums even with my limited knowledge... I have some common sense to share, and hope to make new friends. I will post pictures of my car(s) sometime in the future. Oh yeah, I play 5-string bass (hence the 31Hertz thing)...

angrypancake
04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
It was my first entry into the world of BMW, and I daresay I am now hooked entirely.

haha that seems to be the reoccurring case. welcome! a 540i/6 is a hell of a way to get started in the e34 world. enjoy your stay.

Brandon J
04-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the board and that is a great introduction!

We have a great community here and I am glad to see another great addition. (my plug) If you want to meet many of these fine enthusiasts, do come to the largest e34 gathering, check here: www.bimmer.info/~events (http://www.bimmer.info/~events)

SC David
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Welcome! As you already know I'm sure, this board is never ending info. I might as well be the first to say remember to use the search function before asking questions. Awesome car you have there. Get some pics up if you can!

Mitch90535im
04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome. I'm in Dalton, GA, so we're not too far away.

31Hertz
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Welcome. I'm in Dalton, GA, so we're not too far away.
Yessir, I still have family in Chattanooga and Fort Oglethorpe area.
I forgot to mention that I liked the E28's lines better, but every time I look at my E34, I like it just a little better. :D
I attempted to attach a picture of my old E28. Man, it just breaks my heart to look at it.:(

Russell
04-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Loved the car. really low cost to operate. Perhaps too low as I wore it out and did not maintain it well. That will not be a problem with my e34.

Good luck

Howdy from Knoxville, TN. I admit I have been lurking in the shadows for maybe three months now... I had a 1987 E28 535is 5-speed 3.91 LSD Zinnoberrot for about a year when, in December, a 16-year old with no insurance rammed the back of it going 40mph whilst I was stopped in traffic. I escaped unharmed, but the roof was bent, and the back seat separated. I will post pictures at a later date. I really enjoyed that car. It was my first entry into the world of BMW, and I daresay I am now hooked entirely. I had to find a replacement and happened across a 1995 E34 540i 6-speed Oxfordgrun. So i did some research (mainly on Roadfly <did not know about 'info at the time>) and all the stuff about Nikasil and maintenance and etc... I drove the car (frightened my wife:D ), I took the plunge and purchased the car. I had already done some minor work on my E28, so I figure I could take it one step further. I have already done the oil pump fix. I changed to Mobil 0w-40. Changed the tranny fluid. Changed the diff fluid (I miss the LSD;) ). Flushed brakes. Clutch flush. Spark plugs. Heater core is next! (sheesh really i could make a longer list of what to do next) German cars have always spoken to me; everything just makes sense. I owned a 1971 VW Super Beetle, and this is where I got the nuts 'n bolts "bug." I purchased it from the original owner with 114K miles. Yeah, I know the ODO only goes to 99,999, but she was a school teacher, and you just had to see it. I loved that car, but it was s-l-o-w. Anyway, the E34 is definitely a step above the E28 in comfort and drivability (although the E28 was roomier). It is quiet on the interstate and easy to handle. My wife is not intimidated by it like she was the E28 (even with the extra 100hp!!!) It is almost online with the old car in terms of handling, but much much much quicker. Dual Airbags!!! I drive a mixture of spirited and easy. And I really appreciate all of the advice given on this board. It has brought me a new precise awareness of my car, how to maintain it, and how to drive it. I look forward to taking part in these forums even with my limited knowledge... I have some common sense to share, and hope to make new friends. I will post pictures of my car(s) sometime in the future. Oh yeah, I play 5-string bass (hence the 31Hertz thing)...