PDA

View Full Version : OT: about closeouts on Halvoline Syn and Delo at Advance Autoparts

ryan roopnarine
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
i had posted incorrectly, the other day, about the closeout price of halvoline full syn and delo quarts at advance auto. the info originally came from bobistheoilguy.com, rebates+promotions section. it appears that the availability of the aforementioned items varies from store to store, as does its price. the baseline closing out price for halvoline 5w30 and 10w30 full syn is $2.95, and the highmileage (aka, semi-syn)10w30, 10w40 is $1.95. the price of these items, however, is at the discretion of the manager. ie...there may be some situations where they are full price ($4+ syn, $2+ semi), some where the manager just sent the stuff back to the warehouse, and some (as the people on bobistheoilguy have said) where the semi syn is going for below $1/ qt, and the syn for about $1.50 or so. the $2.95 isn't bad, though. at the first store i visited, the manager just removed the stuff from the shelves. the store i just got back from had the $1.95/$2.95 prices. they also have the delo for $1.75/qt, as they are discontinuing carrying delo in the quart bottles. from past oil analyses on bob......, the halvoline syn sounds the same in quality as american made castrol syntec, ie---doesn't look that great brand new, but it holds on as the oil ages and does more than an acceptable job for a syn. if you need oil anytime in the future, you could waste your time in worse ways than to pop into the advance auto and doing a quick price check. some of the deals the ppl found sound unbelievable. i need to wrangle 15-20 quarts of oil for the weekend, but it looks like most of it will be walmart's super-suck $1.28/qt stuff.:(

ryan roopnarine
04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
i'm sorry, im the world's dumbest man. all my life, i thought it was "halvoline" motor oil, like valvoline. i've spent an hour searching bob... trying to find virgin oil analyses for halvoline synthetic....google corrected me though. i was getting pissed off at bob.... 4 results out of 10's of thousands for halvoline.

ryan roopnarine
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
it would appear that the situation is reaching a head. all of the advances i go to now have this stuff on a "clearance" table at the front of the store, and from what is being said on the internet, the price will only go down till some undetermined time at which the stuff will get boxed up and sent back (but not before $.50-$.,75 a quart or so. i wish i wasn't spending so much time thinking about garbage like this, but if i can pick up syn (or even good quality dino) for less than $1, i'm going to be staking the advance APs around me out. ill probably swing by and pick up an m50's worth of the delo for $1.77 a quart.

ryan roopnarine
04-11-2006, 10:43 AM
you thought the thread died....
well, you thought wrong....
go away :D if you've grown weary.

so, yeah, still the same price for the delo and the havoline syn----but----discount is closing out another oil product. shell rimula 15w40 HDEO. they have it priced for between $1.25 and 75% off of 1.25. now, keep in mind, rimula is a fleet product (and its not normally sold in the united states--aussies and such will have heard of it) fleet products are generally nasty things that are formulated for off-road diesel equipment. this, however, is an SL rated oil for gas/diesel, so i'm not worried about putting it in the e34. the cheapest priced motor oil in america right now is walmart supertech xxwxx oil at about $1.28 a quart. this can't be any worse, and one gets the cleaning capabilities of diesel oil. i bought the 3 non-leaky ones they had. will go to the other discount near work this afternoon to drop off some used oil and see if they've gone 75% off any oil yet.