PDA

View Full Version : Wash car = SRS Warning Light

JScritch
04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
1992 525i Auto

Everytime I wash my car (standard high pressure car wash wand) my SRS light comes on the dash when I drive away. I reset it and everything is good until I wash the car again.

What sensor am I getting water into? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Bill R.
04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
high pressure wand and the impact sensors for the srs are mounted on each fenderwell... bright orange looking rectangles with orange wires going to them. If you get water into the connectors then it will triggers the srs fault. Frequently the wire going to them looks all chewed up anyway

1992 525i Auto

Everytime I wash my car (standard high pressure car wash wand) my SRS light comes on the dash when I drive away. I reset it and everything is good until I wash the car again.

What sensor am I getting water into? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

JScritch
04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm not opening the hood to wash the engine compartment, but maybe water is getting in there somehow. I'll have to look in that general area and see what I can do to seal it up a little better to prevent the water intrusion. Thanks for the tip though.

Russell
04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Can that cause a problem? I would not think so since plenty of water gets in there during driving in the rain.

FYI, never had a problem cleaning the vehicle's outside or under the fenderwells with a high pressure wand..

Anyway, keep us advised.

high pressure wand and the impact sensors for the srs are mounted on each fenderwell... bright orange looking rectangles with orange wires going to them. If you get water into the connectors then it will triggers the srs fault. Frequently the wire going to them looks all chewed up anyway

Jon K
04-04-2006, 09:57 AM
How did you reset the SRS light?

JScritch
04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
With the reset tool you can buy off the web from different vendors.

SchnellE34
04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
With the reset tool you can buy off the web from different vendors.

Can you give us the name of the tool? It's not the oil and inspection tool is it? You have the more expensive tool right?

Also I would check your hood seals and make sure the hood is sitting properly. You can adjust how low it sits.