PDA

View Full Version : Cam and Timing Cover gaskets leaking?

Alpinewhite
04-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi all,

I see quite an amount of oil in the engine mount, alternator area. I am able to see the leak only when I go under the car. Even under the car I am not able to spot the source of leak. There is no oil smell when the engine is hot; no oil is on the exhaust pipes. Oil is leaking only on the driver side. First I thought it is the head gasket; then there is no oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Could this be Cam and Timing cover gasket leaking? If yes how to spot it? How to replace it? How tough is the work?

My cars details are in the header and the Sig.

Thanks
Arun

joshua43214
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Tracking down little oil leaks on this engine can be frustrating. Get and extensible dentists mirror. It is easier to follow leaks from above with a mirror alot of times. The oil can travel all over, so look at everything. Its possible you have a leaky V/C gasket, they like to leak in the front lower corners and dribble down. start at where you can see the oil and follow it up, if the trail stops, look above that, it maybe dripping down from a higher point.

Once you locate the suspect, clean the area with spray brake parts cleaner and then run the engine and check again, you may have to actualy check with the engine running and repeatedly clean the area as it leaks until you actualy see where it is coming from.

I have seen the timing cover leak where it joins the bottom of the head. If this is the source of the leak, verify the bolts are tight, you may get lucky. There are 2 seals where the timing cover meets the head/block area. if it is leaky between the cover and the block, replacing the cover seal fix's it. If its leaky between the head and the cover, technicaly replacing the head gasket is needed. I have fixed that leak without removing the heads.

Most likely its the V/C gasket.

Please refer to your car as left and right and not drivers and passenger side.

Bill R.
04-04-2006, 08:49 AM
the area that you describe with numerous power steering hoses and fittings that are prone to leaking ... I would take some cleaner and wash out all the oil in that area so that all the hoses fittings ,head and block are fairly clean and dry and then try to pinpoint the area with it running to see where the leaks originate.

Hi all,

I see quite an amount of oil in the engine mount, alternator area. I am able to see the leak only when I go under the car. Even under the car I am not able to spot the source of leak. There is no oil smell when the engine is hot; no oil is on the exhaust pipes. Oil is leaking only on the driver side. First I thought it is the head gasket; then there is no oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Could this be Cam and Timing cover gasket leaking? If yes how to spot it? How to replace it? How tough is the work?

My cars details are in the header and the Sig.

Thanks
Arun

Alpinewhite
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
I am not sure if its power steering oil or engine oil. I will find more information and revoke this thread.

In the mean time I dont want my engine mount to decompose. What can I do to cover it from oil leaks? Shall I wrap it with some aluminium foil?

Thanks
Arun

joshua43214
04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
can't hurt to wrap it in aluminum foil. If nothing else it will prevent aliens from reading its thoughts.

Alpinewhite
04-04-2006, 09:26 AM
can't hurt to wrap it in aluminum foil. If nothing else it will prevent aliens from reading its thoughts.

ha ha ha ha ha