PDA

View Full Version : Transprogram help please...

JScritch
04-04-2006, 06:36 AM
1992 525i Auto

I've read the article on bmwe34.net and am not sure what to do with mine.

I don't have any error codes stored in the computer that I can find.

I seem to get the error on when I first start the car (warm or cold) but never while driving. If I shut the car off, open/shut the driver's door and restart it seems to go away. So basically, I have to start the car twice most times. It seems to be getting more frequent that this is happening.

I also just had the tranny serviced (new filter, pan gasket & fluid). Transmission seems to drive & shift fine so I don't think it's actually the tranny, but I'm not sure what the speed sensor affects.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

joshua43214
04-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Who did the service? are you positive you have the correct fluid and filter? Was the light coming on before the service? verify the fluid level is correct.

JScritch
04-04-2006, 07:42 AM
This was all happening before I had the tranny serviced. I just thought by having it serviced I would be able to eliminate that as one of the possible causes (low fluid, dirty filter, etc).

Russell
04-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Perhaps your charging sytems is weak and not keeping the battery strong.
Is your battery under the hood or under the rear seat? may be dirty termainals?

Trans program error can be caused by a low voltage.

1992 525i Auto

I seem to get the error on when I first start the car (warm or cold) but never while driving. If I shut the car off, open/shut the driver's door and restart it seems to go away. So basically, I have to start the car twice most times. It seems to be getting more frequent that this is happening.

I also just had the tranny serviced (new filter, pan gasket & fluid). Transmission seems to drive & shift fine so I don't think it's actually the tranny, but I'm not sure what the speed sensor affects.

JScritch
04-04-2006, 08:22 AM
My battery is under the backseat. I checked and cleaned all the cables and the battery appears to be pretty new, but I'll double check the voltage and do a load test on it to see how it responds.

Anything else to check that seems to be common with others? I really don't want to start throwing $$ at it just to chase something simple.

Bill R.
04-04-2006, 08:35 AM
trans computer is the same layout , but i suspect the circuit board is very similar. On my own car and one customers car it would do the same thing that you describe and if it turned out to be cracked solder joints on the board for the trans computer. I would inspect all the solder joints with a magnifying glass looking for circular cracks in the solder joints particularly where the relay is mounted in the board , they are almost always cracked there. and touch them up with a soldering iron. Here's the relay that always has cracked ones.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp%20copy.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp1%20copy.jpg

and here is what the typical cracked solder joint looks likehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/fuelpumprelay1%20copy.jpg

1992 525i Auto

JScritch
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Where exactly is the trans computer at? Never thought of broken leads causing the problems.

ArtemLepilov
04-04-2006, 08:56 AM
In the E-box (the black thing) its on the pass. side of the engine compartment toward the windshield - its held in by 4 screws.

-Artem

PS - I once forgot to plug a throttlebody in when servicing my car and that caused trans program message - look for apossibly loose connection to one of the sensors or something first.

Bill R.
04-04-2006, 08:57 AM
difference , cracked solder joints expand and contract to make or break the circuit as they heat up. The computer is behind the kick panel on the passenger side in front of the doorhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/transcomputerlocation.jpg

Where exactly is the trans computer at? Never thought of broken leads causing the problems.

ArtemLepilov
04-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Oh - nvm the Ebox thing.. I guess that computer is not with all others

-Artem