PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust experiment... Second thoughts...

Montreal525
04-04-2006, 06:06 AM
My exhaust was a goner and needed to be changed. I asked my local Midas shop if we could do something else than stock. What they came up with was this:

After the cats, wich are still very solid, they put a Y pipe, coming in 2 into one, and 2 1/2 inches out.

One resonator right after that then they bent to fit a 2 1/2 inches pipe all the way to the rear.

They put another resonator in the back finished by a 3 inches twin square tip (really nice).

I'm having second thought about it. Is this kind of set up good for the engine; back pressure, scavenging effect, etc.

It sound really good outside althought there is slight droning at idle wich should, according to the tech who built it, subside when the system carbons up, but the sound inside the car is getting to be annoying.

Anybody else have something like that?

Let me know if you have any input on this.

Jeff

ArtemLepilov
04-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey - I was tihnking about doing something similar. Can you let me know how much that setup cost you?

And how is the noise in the car?

-Artem

Montreal525
04-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Cost was $450 Canadian. Complete stock OEM is $1040 Canadian plus install so I was sure I was making a good deal but I'm telling you, noise inside is getting to be real loud. It's almost drowns a conversation when you get off a green light.

I'm thinking about cutting it out, going back to 2 pipes by putting the 2 resonators side by side (they are new so I can't let them go to waste) to take the place of the stock center resonator and putting a real muffler in the back...

Jeff

Montreal525
04-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I also have to add that the fuel economy has improved slightly...Go figure. I'm hoping it can't be all that bad...

Jeff

genphreak
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm thinking about cutting it out, going back to 2 pipes by putting the 2 resonators side by side (they are new so I can't let them go to waste) to take the place of the stock center resonator and putting a real muffler in the back... JeffCall BMA for a quote, they're not that bad. No matter what, stick with stock or go Supersprint Stainless if you want the bling effect or live where they salt the roads (they will sell you 2 sections, a resonator and a muffler, which bolt onto the cat and go all the way to the bumper).

BMW sell the hangers for a $10 odd but yours may well be good anwyay. I am sure stock is as good in most ways- and much more pleasant inside the car. :) Nick

ArtemLepilov
04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know if I use two pipes rather than one - would that help at all?

And the conversation is drowned INSIDE THE CAR??? with all the windows rolled up??

Thats pretty loud :-S

-Artem

genphreak
04-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Does anyone know if I use two pipes rather than one - would that help at all? -ArtemDon't do it. Stick with stock. Anything else is plain dumb unless you're using forced induction.