PDA

View Full Version : M60 540i Injector Install Question

MBXB
04-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I started to install injectors and they didn't fit exactly between the fuel rail and the manifold.
If I use the lock clips, they do not reach down far enough to seat in the manifold.
Conversely, when I seat them in the manifold, I cannot lock them in place with the clips.

On the left: the injector is firmly seated in the manifold, locking clip is not installed because the groove won't line up.

On the right: the locking clip in place but the injector not seated as far in as the injector on the left. Is there enough of a seal here?

The fuel rail is torqued in place for the shot. Left injector can be moved vertically.

I had sent them off to be refurbed and am wondering if they got swapped with a different set.

Thanks to 632Regal for giving me advice online while I was trying to figure this out... and I still haven't!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9705/lastroll0043sv.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lastroll0043sv.jpg)

Jon K
04-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Double check the fuel rail installation. I know you said its seated right but obviously not. I had issues getting my injectors to sit perfectly again. Those are bosch injectors, they WILL fit... they don't make that injector in various size, they will fit.

joshua43214
04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Your fuel rail is not all the way down. Its really easy for a stray wire to get under something. Also all 8 will kinda go in at once, there is not alot of flex, if one injector is not all the way in, it will hold the others up.

BTW, I always clip all the injectors onto the rail on the bench, then put the entire assembly into the car. Lightly lubbing the O-rings and injector holes with gasoline will actualy help assembly, or you can use O2 safe silicone as long as you don't tell any one and start up a controversy(I use gasoline). On stubborn injectors I very very lightly tap the rail with a very light leather mallet, the idea is to jiggle them in, not to hammer them in.

MBXB
04-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Jon,

I'll go over the assembly again. The manifold is out of the car on thebench.

Thanks

Double check the fuel rail installation. I know you said its seated right but obviously not. I had issues getting my injectors to sit perfectly again. Those are bosch injectors, they WILL fit... they don't make that injector in various size, they will fit.

Bill R.
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
lubricate the orings is either vaseline or 90weight gear oil
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/bmwfuelinjectorlube.jpg

Jon,

I'll go over the assembly again. The manifold is out of the car on thebench.

Thanks

MBXB
04-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Josh, I assembled them the same way; on bench. The fuel rail is all the way down; the mounting brackets are flat against the pad and lined up on teh bolt holes.. The injectors slid right into place, but are not seating all the way.

How far in should the injectors be seated?

I'll give it another shot and start from scratch.

Thanks

Your fuel rail is not all the way down. Its really easy for a stray wire to get under something. Also all 8 will kinda go in at once, there is not alot of flex, if one injector is not all the way in, it will hold the others up.

BTW, I always clip all the injectors onto the rail on the bench, then put the entire assembly into the car. Lightly lubbing the O-rings and injector holes with gasoline will actualy help assembly, or you can use O2 safe silicone as long as you don't tell any one and start up a controversy(I use gasoline). On stubborn injectors I very very lightly tap the rail with a very light leather mallet, the idea is to jiggle them in, not to hammer them in.

MBXB
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
I'll try that. I used 20-50.

lubricate the orings is either vaseline or 90weight gear oil
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/bmwfuelinjectorlube.jpg

mholbrook
04-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Just a thought, did you use new 0-rings. If they are Bosch 0-rings they may be too small. BMW 0-rings are slightly, but perceptable thicker around. Makes a difference.

MBXB
04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Mike,

I had the injectors refurbed and new O-rings were installed. I compared them to the old rings and they are identical.

632 Regal
04-04-2006, 01:14 PM
you mentioned the manifold being on the bench, your trying to get the fuel rail on but is the manifold all bolted in? If not it will be raised from the new gaskets...just guessin at this point

MBXB
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Would that affect the injectors seating between the fuel rail and manifold?