PDA

View Full Version : Status update....PITA 525i...Shirley's

Saleswman525
03-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Ok, we went out to start her this afternoon.......it actually started...not to easy but it did start....was able to let it run for about 3,4 minutes....it was revving and dieing then revving again......but it did not sound too good.....noise on top.....not underneath....ticking...

Ok...I have bought a Bently's that will be here Thurs....I know you ALL are very happy about that!!!!

Ok...tell me about the lifters on the 1992 525 are they hydraulic or solid? And are they adjustable.....

Still has trans code on......and did not ck plugs....but there was not to much smoke at all while revving....but when it did die......and we tried to start it up again.....it really blew a lot of smoke out the tail pipe....

This noise in the engine.....was not told to me by previous owner only the trans code.....so I am not sure that because of it sitting for a few months may have caused something to happen.....

One of you told me about "trying to get the rings to reseal?????" So I am hoping for an easier fix than repairing the lifters or the head gasket......

I am only relaying the info to you.......

Let me know what you guys think...

Shirley

P.S. I was very pleased that she did start though.......noisy but started.

winfred
03-21-2004, 10:38 PM
the lifter rattle is common after sitting, to purge the air from them i run the motor at about 2000 rpm for 5-10 minutes, they are hydralic and non adjustable

ryan roopnarine
03-21-2004, 10:44 PM
attn winfred...do you notice a big mess result when you drain tranny fluid from the a4s....i changed mine yesterday with the oil, and the pan is still dripping, and when i check it cold, i haven't lost any volume...methinks it splashes somewhere while draining? you're obviously under these things more than i am soooo....TIA.

Javier
03-21-2004, 10:45 PM
remove all the old fuel and pour in some fresh one. Sufficient fresh one.

winfred
03-21-2004, 10:59 PM
huh? are you talking about the long time it takes for it to stop dripping? usually when you take the filter off a quart or more runs out from the pick up. the mess don't bother me, i do em on a lift with a roll around drain bucket that has a 2' funnel in top of a extendable tube, aint even a issue

attn winfred...do you notice a big mess result when you drain tranny fluid from the a4s....i changed mine yesterday with the oil, and the pan is still dripping, and when i check it cold, i haven't lost any volume...methinks it splashes somewhere while draining? you're obviously under these things more than i am soooo....TIA.

ryan roopnarine
03-21-2004, 11:04 PM
how it gets all "slow piss" as it is draining out and dripping....i didn't touch the drain assembly yesterday but the whole underside of the pan was covered with oil when im done....i think ill just take it to a under car car wash and stop it from leaking $hit all over ppl's driveways. (oh, and i don't mean that i changed the filter yesterday...i drained it thru the plug, which is how i do it to replace at oil change (not taking the whole pan off).

Paul in NZ
03-21-2004, 11:06 PM
huh...under car wash????????

ryan roopnarine
03-21-2004, 11:08 PM
i've seen around here have as their most expensive option "undercarriage wash".

huh...under car wash????????

Tiger
03-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Mmm... engine revving and dying continuously sounds familiar... Guys... spit it out... I know some of you had the exact same problem with fluctuating idling...

winfred
03-21-2004, 11:33 PM
round here we call that sherwood forest blvd during a rain storm, couple of miles of 1-4" deep rain water, i run it all the time for just that purpose

i've seen around here have as their most expensive option "undercarriage wash".

BigD
03-22-2004, 01:20 AM
My E28 535 did this when the AFM died. Started out of the blue. I confirmed this by messing with what the DME got. I took off the air filter box and hose to expose the AFM flap. Once started, I'd run over and push the flap open a little (had to be quick cause it would only run like crap for a few seconds and choke). I could find a position of the flap where the engine ran just fine. I haven't seen this described anywhere so I don't know how safe it is (certainly don't do it for too long and in a clean area since you're bypassing the air filter).

I tried testing the AFM but the Bentley procedure checked out. The resistance varied as the flap was moved and there didn't seem to be any dead spots. I still don't know what went wrong because I traded the broken one and the E34 AFM for a good E28 one.