PDA

View Full Version : BavAuto Subwoofer Kit

Traian
04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Anyone have any experience with this BavAuto kit? it's part no. INF SWK, called 'Bavarian Autosport / Infinity Basslink "Plug 'n' Play" Subwoofer Kit' and they want $399.95 for it. I don't know much about the stock audio setup in the E34, i just want some more volume (although I'd rather have a more crisp sound at high volume than just outright dBs) and a bit more bass, without spending a grand and filling up my trunk. Is that even doable?

angrypancake
04-03-2006, 07:53 PM
for some more volume you need to replace the factory amp, and you could upgrade the speakers... mb quarts are high end, apparently worth every penny. for a bit more bass, you could get a 10" subwoofer... shameless plug but i have a couple of spare subs, but they're a lot more bass, as opposed to a bit... bruno's site has info on what needs to be done for stereo

E34 530
04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Anyone have any experience with this BavAuto kit? it's part no. INF SWK, called 'Bavarian Autosport / Infinity Basslink "Plug 'n' Play" Subwoofer Kit' and they want $399.95 for it. I don't know much about the stock audio setup in the E34, i just want some more volume (although I'd rather have a more crisp sound at high volume than just outright dBs) and a bit more bass, without spending a grand and filling up my trunk. Is that even doable?

It's awaste of money. For that much money, you can actually re-do your entire sound syetm with 1 sub in your trunk. Bav-Auto is just a magazine that preys on people who are willing to pay ridiculous prices for (usually) dumb items. (At least in my opinion lol). Basically it's a site for people who have too much money lol.

RobPatt
04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
(not the BAV auto one which I think basically includes a BMW wiring harness or something...)

knocked out the ski pass through, cut a hole in the carpeted trunk trim, strapped that bubba in nicely and it sounds nice....

also nix'd the factory amp, JVC head unit, nothing special there, and some infinity kappa components for the front...

much nicer, but not audiophile quality, but i'm no audiophile... but a nice setup, fairly simple, inexpensive.... good luck.

Qube
04-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I have the same unit bought from eBay. Save yourself the money and get it at half price on eBay and wire it up yourself. It's not as bad as some say ;)

Next time please SEARCH (re: infinity basslink)

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19478

For how to wire, I posted a VERY comprensive thread a while back. You'll find it.

Evan
04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I recommend you upgrade just your head unit at first. You can get a CD/MP3/WMA player for $100 - $150.

I think that's all you need.

winfred
04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
i installed a basslink for a customer in a 98 323ic and imho it's a lump of overpriced ****, glad i had the oportunity to play with one because i was thinking about getting one, by time you turn it up the the point that it's doing some good inside the car (not talking about boom) it's wheezing and distorting bad. a nice 8" bazooka would whip it's ass and take up less space

Tiger
04-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Any 'ported' subwoofer... the one with a hole on the side or something... will sound wheezing... because it is badly designed. Always go for sealed subwoofer box...

Bandpass sub is for those who only wants thumps... bad for audiophile system.

$400 for a subbox is way too expensive and from the sound you said... it is badly designed.

Traian
04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies yall.

angrypancake: I checked Bruno's site, and for what I'm looking for he recommends changing the speakers, which elsewhere I read is the only part of the whole system worth keeping. Which confused me. A lot.

E34 530: Agree with ya on BavAuto, but this actually seemed like a pretty good deal no? Any decent amp would be ~$200, and a sub more than that i figure, and I'd still have to figure out the wiring.

Qube: Thanks for the suggestions. I guess more specifically the reason I asked is because I didn't know if this just gives you more bass, or is an all in one solution like BavAuto claims.

Evan: What would the headunit accomplish? How does it affect sound quality?

You folks gotta excuse the silly questions, I did searches, looked up e34.net and some other online stuff, but I am starting from scratch!

winfred
04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
i don't remember the basslink being ported, one driver and one passive, i suspect the built in shitty amp was crapping out at higher power levels, i don't do boom (any more, grew outta that **** in jr high, i remember when rap was fun) i prefer rock & roll and oldies

Any 'ported' subwoofer... the one with a hole on the side or something... will sound wheezing... because it is badly designed. Always go for sealed subwoofer box...

Bandpass sub is for those who only wants thumps... bad for audiophile system.

$400 for a subbox is way too expensive and from the sound you said... it is badly designed.

Incantation
04-03-2006, 10:16 PM
re-do your whole system? with what.. walmart speakers?

Incantation
04-03-2006, 10:20 PM
some boxes are designed for sealed boxes and others are designed for ported.. and even some are designed for a "free air" setup

bandpass is only when you want to get a lot of volume at the expense of clarity and at the possible cost of blowing the sub (because you won't hear it distorting as the enclosure design makes it near inaudible)

Incantation
04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
angrypancake and qube said it right.

if you need help with any wiring stuff feel free to pm me i've gutted my car and installed 3 different systems in it so far.. definitely know my way around and would be happy to help

angrypancake
04-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the replies yall.

I checked Bruno's site, and for what I'm looking for he recommends changing the speakers, which elsewhere I read is the only part of the whole system worth keeping. Which confused me. A lot.

You folks gotta excuse the silly questions, I did searches, looked up e34.net and some other online stuff, but I am starting from scratch!

its because if you change the factory speakers, nothing is going to be accomplished, as the stock amp sucks. however you could conceiveably change the stock amp and leave the speakers, it would give some more volume. this setup wont be cheap... but it will sure as **** sound great....

Phoenix Gold Pro-1 Line Driver
Audiobahn A2301Q Amplifier
Audiobahn A8000T Amplifier
MB Quart Q Series 3-way Components (6.5", 4", 1")
Alpine Type-R 10" Dual Voice Coil subwoofer in spare tire mount box
Phoenix Gold 30-Band Graphical Equalizer
Tsunami 2 Farad Capacitor

Derek A.
04-04-2006, 03:39 AM
1. Remove factory Amp - retain factory crossover.
2. Install new head unit ($150)
3. Install new 4 Channel amp ($200)
4. Install 10" bazooka tube sub ($150)

Very little trunk room loss, you gain the ability to play cd's and it will sound a whole lot better.

winfred
04-04-2006, 06:31 AM
the crossover is built into the amp, sorta hard to do that:D

1. Remove factory Amp - retain factory crossover.

Tiger
04-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Read my post about head unit... They make tremendous difference.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20485

Traian
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
angrypancake: Thanks for the reply, actually that is what my understanding was too (ie change the speakers last). I don't doubt the quality of that setup you posted, but I am leaning towards a bit more of a hack job (read: save as much of the factory setup as I can), similar to what Derek posted. Also, I currently have a CD changer. Also, thanks for the link Tiger, that kind of answers my question about how that would affect anything.

Also, Incantation, thanks a lot for the offer man. When I take up this project I will have to take you up on it almost for sure hehe.