PDA

View Full Version : Thank you all: I am a proud DIYer now

Alpinewhite
04-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Guys,

I finished my first ever DIY on car. Gosh, I can't beleive that I did flush coolant. It was a great experience. It works or not, it was a great fun! Thanks to you all, each one of you were my inspiration and help. Esp: Joshua, Shogun, Winfred. Paxford's site was very informative.

I could flush only 10.5 ltrs of coolant from my 3 ltr M60. Reason; I couldn't drain driver side (Those exhaust pipies!!!). Main reason I did this is to remove all the old green stuf that my PO put. So I filled my whole system with distilled water; ran car untill gauge crossed blue mark. Drained the diluted green; again 10.5 ltrs. Filled with 6 ltrs blue and 4.5 ltrs distled water. If my math and my procedure is what i think then I have ~2% of the old stuff left. Can I stay cool and forget about the coolant drain for another 2 years?

Thanks
Arun

joshua43214
04-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Good job and congradulations, the 2% should be ok. In theory, the old stuff saturates the metal creating a barier to heat transfer and can't be totaly removed without resorting to solvents. In practice, the coolant needs to not boil or freeze, lubricate the moving parts and transfer heat efficiently, all of which it did well before and will do better now.

If you have any nagging doubts, flush it again in one year so you feel good, but 2 years is totaly fine =).

dacoyote
04-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Good job man....

632 Regal
04-03-2006, 09:41 AM
congrats! Yes your safe for 2 years now. next job: change the power steering fluid and then on to the trans, then the rear differential.
We'll make a wrench out of you yet!

Alpinewhite
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
We'll make a wrench out of you yet!

I would love to be one

Evan
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Good Work... you'll get better and better at working on your car as you do more work. I swapped the radiator in my 540 a few weeks ago and I was pleased with the result... especially the $400 I saved.

As for changing other fluids, don't change your trans fluid without doing your due diligence. Changing it could cause problems.