PDA

View Full Version : Should she be hissing at me??

Rob
04-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Howzit guys,

Before I start with yet another problem on this poor car of mine, that I am really trying hard to get going. I just want to thank each and every single one of you that have helped me much more then I've expected over the last month or so. I really appreciate it and hope one day to return the favour. ;)

Now on to the problem.

I washed and cleaned my car yesterday and did a few other things, she's shiny again and looking real good. So I turned the ignition on, I get "Coolant Level" or something similar, telling me she's low on coolant. So I open the radiator and as sure as hell, she's very low, so I fill it up to the COOL mark on the expansion tank. Go back turn the key again, she's still telling me she's low??

So I thought I'd let her idle for a while since I haven't had her running in at least a month. 20 minutes into Idle I quickly look at my temp gauge. And to my surprise she's hot, very hot. Over the half way mark! so I shut off the engine, and open the hood to check for leaks. I don't see any water dripping or leaking anywhere, except there's a hissing sound? like an air leak? I'm having a hard time finding where it's coming from, but this is definitely coming from the cooling system, somewhere! :(

So I go under and check, I see the bleed screw for the rad/expansion bit of the rad and there's like an overflow pipe. This is dripping water and looks brownish?? not too sure. Also the water/coolant had bits of dirt or something in the expansion tank not too sure on this either.

Now, would you guys suggest I bleed the cooling system? Is this hard? Also my old man tells me no matter how hard I try I won't be able to bleed her because it's a bitch to do and very very hard? Also he says it needs the engine running for 2 hours for me to do that? he then went on to tell me NEVER open then radiator cap once you've bled the rad or when ever as this will cause her to overheat again as it releases the pressure? now I was thinking, doesn't the pressure just build up again when engine is running?

I'm pretty sure it's because of this air leak or what sounds like an air leak that I can hear..

I'm really sorry to do this to you guys, I know you're all probably sick to death of my problems with this car. And thinking I should just get rid of her. But I'll admit it, I can't! Just got a soft spot for this car! and really want her back on her wheels/feet again!

As always, any help I would gratefully appreciate it!

Edit: I've got the bentely Service Manual. It tells me how to bleed the car, but it isn't very detailed about it. Could someone explain a little more for me please?

Thanks

joshua43214
04-03-2006, 08:56 AM
It is not hard to bleed this car, its not a chevy 350, but is is easier to bleed than the old Jags, try bleeding a Fiat if you want some fun. The car will not over heat again if you remove the cap while hot. Never remove a coolant cap on a hot engine unless you know what you are doing. Past the 1/2 mark is not good, but it isn't over heated until its in the red, this is called running hot, not overheating. Brown water is very bad. The hissing sound is probably steam escaping since you have low coolant. Find the leak, pics or detailed description is good here. You probadly need a radiator by the sound of it, but could be a hose.

Flush the entire system with clean water. Fill the raidiator and the engine both at the hoses. fill the tank. open the bleeders keep adding coolant/water until you get liquid. close the bleeders, run engine until hot, open bleeders carefuly, allow air to escape, close bleders, drive car, top up.

DaveVoorhis
04-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Howzit guys,
I washed and cleaned my car yesterday and did a few other things, she's shiny again and looking real good. So I turned the ignition on, I get "Coolant Level" or something similar, telling me she's low on coolant. So I open the radiator and as sure as hell, she's very low, so I fill it up to the COOL mark on the expansion tank. Go back turn the key again, she's still telling me she's low??

Try cleaning the contacts on the level sensor and the connector. It's on the bottom of the expansion tank.

... so I shut off the engine, and open the hood to check for leaks. I don't see any water dripping or leaking anywhere, except there's a hissing sound? like an air leak? I'm having a hard time finding where it's coming from, but this is definitely coming from the cooling system, somewhere! :(

Been there, endured that. It's probably a hardened or perforated hose, either hissing out through a pinhole or under a hose clamp. If your hoses are mostly original, they're probably all bad. Replace the lot.

So I go under and check, I see the bleed screw for the rad/expansion bit of the rad and there's like an overflow pipe. This is dripping water and looks brownish?? not too sure. Also the water/coolant had bits of dirt or something in the expansion tank not too sure on this either.

Brownish water is bad. Take a look in the expansion tank -- if brownish blobs are floating in the water, i.e., oil, you're probably in for a long bad day of changing a head gasket. Let's hope it's not oil. If it's rust, flush the cooling system.

Now, would you guys suggest I bleed the cooling system? Is this hard?

It's worth a try, but you're losing coolant somewhere and that needs to be fixed.

I use a trick for bleeding these things, but it's not for everyone:

Make sure the engine is cold, like having sat overnight. Fill the expansion tank to the line. Don't put the expansion cap on. Keep a wrench in your right hand, poised to open and close the thermostat bleeder screw. Inhale a lungful of air, stuff your lips into the expansion cap filler neck -- like you were playing a tuba or suchlike -- and blow. Hard. Crack the bleeder screw while blowing until water comes out. Close the bleeder while holding pressure, and while coolant is still coming out. If it's really gassy, you might not be able to get water before you run out of lung, so close the bleeder while holding pressure and do it again. Repeat this several times until coolant consistently comes out the bleeder.

If your neighbours are watching -- perhaps wondering what kind of pervert performs deep penetration cunnilingus on a car -- it helps to throw your hands in the air and cackle insanely at random intervals. It also helps to be naked.

Then perform the same procedure with the radiator bleeder.

When you're done, put the cap back on the expansion tank, and start the engine. Make sure it doesn't overheat. If the temp stabilises on normal, go for a drive up and down some hills. That will bubble air out of the heater core and whatnot. With the engine running, crack the thermo bleeder and the rad bleeder slightly to let out any remaining air.

Then park, let the engine cool overnight, and fill the expansion tank to the line. Spend the rest of the evening washing out any lingering taste with beer.

genphreak
04-03-2006, 08:32 PM
You have gotta love that method. It appeals to my impatience. As Coolant is indeed poison, one must be careful however I am sure beer is an appropriate antidote... :D

632 Regal
04-03-2006, 08:43 PM
just looked it up in the NJEM and beer seens to work. Who would have gussed it?

You have gotta love that method. It appeals to my impatience. As Coolant is indeed poison, one must be careful however I am sure beer is an appropriate antidote... :D

Zeuk in Oz
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Spend the rest of the evening washing out any lingering taste with beer.
LOL ! The first time I tried this I got a dose of coolant in my eye, but it certainly works well ! ;)

Rob
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys.

Will post a lot of detailed pictures tomorrow of the whole cooling system. :)
I think it's kist rust in the water, not oil.