PDA

View Full Version : The Thrashing of the ///M3 @ Autocross (56k beware)

Jr ///M5
03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1296.jpg

Arrived at the school just a little late under cloudy skies. The next 4 hours were spent in Autocross class. They catered lunch for us and then we went to the track to walk the course. Now the skies were clear and the wind had picked up to 25-30 mph. We took the field first and worked the track while watching the others run the course. It was great, even though we had to chase wind blown pylons everywhere. Finally our turn came, it was close to 4pm by now. There were over 44 drivers that came to run that day, and some of them were old hats at this, but the majority were people like us who had never run an autocross. We had a great instructor who stuck to us like glue. I think he enjoyed riding in the M3 as much as we did....I can still hear his words..."SLOW DOWN!"....never thought I could make him say that....=)

The ///M3 is an engineering marvel, with the acceleration of a jet, the stopping power of a brick wall and the capability to stick like crap on carpet. The suspension kept the car tight and flat and the steering wheel was nothing but a blur...but willing to obey even the tiniest command from the driver. Launching the M3 from the start and winding up to redline and paddling 2nd with the SMG was all it took, the rest was nothing but full throttle or full brakes, hey, I can still hear him...SLOW DOWN!!! ok...SLAM goes the brakes, 60-0 in less than 3 seconds..."How's that?" I'd say as we headed for the apex at full throttle with just the hint of squalling tires, exiting the turn at full throttle again..."You're a little wide" as he clutched for something to hold onto the instructor was amazed at how the car would "hairpin" the pylon and full throttle was back on again....

At the end of the run he would look for the time run and say, "Wow!" you guys are shaving a second off of each run you make!!!

The chairman of the Autocross came over and told us we looked pretty good out there especially for our first time out. We were 1.5 seconds behind the fastest run! Just imagine what an experienced driver could do in that car!!!

The good doctor Steve, couldn't get the ear to ear grin off his face. "This is the most fun I've had in a long time!" "We're going to do this a couple more times this year!" (I think I've created a monster!) By the looks of the tires, there's probably a couple left in them...=)

Fun was had by all, we were the only BMW on the track. But I think a good respectable impression was left, especially on those winged ricers...=)

The main objective was met, and that was for Steve to get a hands on feel for what that car could do, and to help him know his, and the cars, limitations and breaking points.

During the 115 mile trip back home, I asked him, "So, do you feel a little more confident and comfortable with this car now?" With the grin still emblazened on his face and a confident nod, "Yes, yes I do....and what a blast it was!!!

Happy Motoring Guys!
Jr

Bill R.
03-21-2004, 07:18 PM

George M
03-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Great story Jr....Congrats on such a fine day!
George

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Awsome, but you didn't race the M5, huh! The M3 is a great car, I'd love to own. I'd likely settle for a 330 and tighten the suspension up a tad. I'm a little afraid of the long term maintenance costs on an M!

Nice big pic!

MicahO
03-21-2004, 08:40 PM
:)

Jr ///M5
03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
It could have started with, "A funny thing happened on the way to the track".....

We'll just call it "Technical Difficulties"......=) Right Mark?

Unregistered
03-21-2004, 11:45 PM
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1296.jpg

Arrived at the school just a little late under cloudy skies. The next 4 hours were spent in Autocross class. They catered lunch for us and then we went to the track to walk the course. Now the skies were clear and the wind had picked up to 25-30 mph. We took the field first and worked the track while watching the others run the course. It was great, even though we had to chase wind blown pylons everywhere. Finally our turn came, it was close to 4pm by now. There were over 44 drivers that came to run that day, and some of them were old hats at this, but the majority were people like us who had never run an autocross. We had a great instructor who stuck to us like glue. I think he enjoyed riding in the M3 as much as we did....I can still hear his words..."SLOW DOWN!"....never thought I could make him say that....=)

The ///M3 is an engineering marvel, with the acceleration of a jet, the stopping power of a brick wall and the capability to stick like crap on carpet. The suspension kept the car tight and flat and the steering wheel was nothing but a blur...but willing to obey even the tiniest command from the driver. Launching the M3 from the start and winding up to redline and paddling 2nd with the SMG was all it took, the rest was nothing but full throttle or full brakes, hey, I can still hear him...SLOW DOWN!!! ok...SLAM goes the brakes, 60-0 in less than 3 seconds..."How's that?" I'd say as we headed for the apex at full throttle with just the hint of squalling tires, exiting the turn at full throttle again..."You're a little wide" as he clutched for something to hold onto the instructor was amazed at how the car would "hairpin" the pylon and full throttle was back on again....

At the end of the run he would look for the time run and say, "Wow!" you guys are shaving a second off of each run you make!!!

The chairman of the Autocross came over and told us we looked pretty good out there especially for our first time out. We were 1.5 seconds behind the fastest run! Just imagine what an experienced driver could do in that car!!!

The good doctor Steve, couldn't get the ear to ear grin off his face. "This is the most fun I've had in a long time!" "We're going to do this a couple more times this year!" (I think I've created a monster!) By the looks of the tires, there's probably a couple left in them...=)

Fun was had by all, we were the only BMW on the track. But I think a good respectable impression was left, especially on those winged ricers...=)

The main objective was met, and that was for Steve to get a hands on feel for what that car could do, and to help him know his, and the cars, limitations and breaking points.

During the 115 mile trip back home, I asked him, "So, do you feel a little more confident and comfortable with this car now?" With the grin still emblazened on his face and a confident nod, "Yes, yes I do....and what a blast it was!!!

Happy Motoring Guys!
Jr