PDA

View Full Version : Thrust arm shimmy with a twist

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 03:17 PM
yes, this is about the brake shimmy I posted a few days ago. Get the shimmy from all speeds 90-20, like a bad rotor brcause you can feel it in the brake peddle.

I inspected the front 2 times and everything is tight, wheels dont seem loose like bad bearings...nothing im stumpt.

Today while trying to simulate the clunking noise that you can feel at your feet I noticed at about 2-5 mph while turning left I get a thud nouse that you can feel in the steering and at your feet, nothing while turning right.

I would venture to guess it could be the LSD clutches (sortof) at break away but the shimmy in the brakes is really confusing me here guys.

I inspected the rear and everythings tight with the dogbones being the only questionable part.

Guesses? I just cant figure this out, EVERYTHiNGS good, everythings tight, fresh thrust arms, complete steering etc....

ryan roopnarine
04-02-2006, 03:44 PM
is the arm to the steering box known to be tight right now?

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 03:48 PM
yes, checked yesterday, I was under with car on ramps, s_ut turning steering so I could again try to isolate. Idler arm is tight too. Very tight steering wheel to steering box to arm also.

is the arm to the steering box known to be tight right now?

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 09:52 PM
bump

liquidtiger720
04-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I seriously think I have the same problem.

I sometimes get a nice thud when turning the wheel left at slow speeds.

I also get it when I reverse and stomp the brakes (only the initial brake push after going in reverse).

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
your probs ball joints, my problem is unfound at the moment.
I seriously think I have the same problem.

I sometimes get a nice thud when turning the wheel left at slow speeds.

I also get it when I reverse and stomp the brakes (only the initial brake push after going in reverse).

liquidtiger720
04-02-2006, 10:39 PM
My ball joints look fine?

They were replaced last year, at any rate. (yes, with lemforder...)

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 10:42 PM
id still vote balljoint. mine passes the low speed brake jab in both directions.

My ball joints look fine?

They were replaced last year, at any rate. (yes, with lemforder...)

dacoyote
04-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Have you seen if it does it in the same place on the rotation....

Have you checked engine mounts.... tranny mounts..... tire out of round.... ?

JD525IA
04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
I am sure it has to do with the steering linkage, but where?

begeta50
04-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I have the same problem. I have just replaced the two trust arms, and it got a lot better, but when I drive at 60 mph. I get the shimy. I am about to replace the shock absorb and the tied roads, and I hope this will fix this problem. I know that is quite expencive, but I have to do it.

Felixdacat
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
When is the last time anybody has checked the top mounting nut on the front struts? I was getting the same noise, even when backing up and applying the brakes. clunk noise was even worse when going over bumps. Took off the dust cover, and waaaaaLa. The strut bolt came loose. this solved all the probs, except one. The shimmy at 60 mph