PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Where do I get distilled water

Alpinewhite
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi,

Where do I get distilled water for mixing with BMW coolant? I searched around Advanced auto parts does not carry it; walmart does not carry it. Where do I go?

Thanks for viewing the thread,
Arun

GoldenOne
04-02-2006, 01:10 PM
try any grocery store, publix, albertsons, kash n karry, piggly wiggly, goodings, winn dixie....most likely will be located in the soda aisle

Alexlind123
04-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Fred Meyer, QFC, Safeway, Winco Foods, trader joes...

dternst
04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Check out the beverage isle at your local grocery store.

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 02:01 PM
this dude could be from the Antarctic for all we know.

Jay 535i
04-02-2006, 02:09 PM
this dude could be from the Antarctic for all we know.

Glacier water, then.

"Grocery store" is the universal answer. Goldenone hit it. :)

525SEI BRIT
04-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi,

Where do I get distilled water for mixing with BMW coolant? I searched around Advanced auto parts does not carry it; walmart does not carry it. Where do I go?

Thanks for viewing the thread,
Arun

hi,

distilled water is basicly just normal water boiled and cooled down. so the stuf in your kettel should do nicely!

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 03:30 PM
WRONG!

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/Van/qa/section/States_of_Matter_and_Energy/Boiling_Evaporating_and_Condensing/20021202083432.htm

Distilled water wont boil in the microwave but tap water will.*

*dont burn yourself

hi,

distilled water is basicly just normal water boiled and cooled down. so the stuf in your kettel should do nicely!

Kalevera
04-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Knew there was something weird about that, but I'm no physicist.

Distilled water has no, or very few, elements in it...stuff that conducts electricity and otherwise promotes corrosion of aluminum parts. EDIT: elements? what the heck am I saying...of course it has elements in it.

Distilled water is cheap and readily available in the US. Cost me two or three dollars for five gallons when I DIY'd. Most shops I know actually have machines to distill water. We have a huge tank.

best, whit

ryan roopnarine
04-02-2006, 03:39 PM
go back to walmart and tell the people to eat $hit and die, of course they have it.

jeff, i doubt that whole "water not boiling" thing will work with the distilled. they just stairstep the contaminants out. the only water i've been able to play tricks with is de-ionised water. of course, i've had de-ionised water play tricks with my gastrointestinal tract when i drank it.

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 03:52 PM
mythbusters did it, the water was over 300 degrees when they took it out.

jeff, i doubt that whole "water not boiling" thing will work with the distilled.
Distilled water for your body is bad, it has a negitive ion charge and causes problems at the molecular level. (something like that)

Alpinewhite
04-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks all of you guys I got the distled water from Publix.
I am still in the middle of flushing. Got to hurry up.

Thanks
Again

Gayle
04-02-2006, 04:32 PM
After you finishing your coolant work, would you be so kind as to fill out your profile? Incomplete profiles are a hot button on the forum now. Thanks.

winfred
04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
sploading water is cool

mythbusters did it, the water was over 300 degrees when they took it out.

Alpinewhite
04-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I am very sorry on this sir. I will update my profile.

Thanks
Arun

RTLoui
04-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Come on you can't leave out Sedano's

GS535i
04-02-2006, 05:36 PM
I am very sorry on this sir. I will update my profile.

Thanks
Arun

Careful who you call 'Sir' around here .. :p Read the sig! :)

"Miss Congeniality
Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans & MetalMasters, O.E. M Parallels staggered, Eisenmann muffler "

Guess I'd better update my sig too .... thanks Ma'am ;)

Russell
04-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Just love Mythbusters!

Gayle
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Careful who you call 'Sir' around here .. :p Read the sig! :)

"Miss Congeniality"
Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans & MetalMasters, O.E. M Parallels staggered, Eisenmann muffler

Guess I'd better update my sig too .... thanks Ma'am ;)

No sweat Arun and thanks for noticing GS535i. Arun--you are not the first nor will you be the last to call me sir, bro, dude, etc. And that goes for people that I have been posting to their threads for almost a year. No one expects a bimmer enthusiast to be female.

And by the way, Alpine Whites rule. The majority of the winners of the virtual car show were alpine white. ;)

Rustam
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM
WRONG!

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/Van/qa/section/States_of_Matter_and_Energy/Boiling_Evaporating_and_Condensing/20021202083432.htm

*dont burn yourself

ok thats absurd... distilled water boils in microwave as well as tap water does, only not as soon - only if not moved...

Rustam
04-02-2006, 08:22 PM
No sweat Arun and thanks for noticing GS535i. Arun--you are not the first nor will you be the last to call me sir, bro, dude, etc. And that goes for people that I have been posting to their threads for almost a year. No one expects a bimmer enthusiast to be female.

And by the way, Alpine Whites rule. The majority of the winners of the virtual car show were alpine white. ;)

Hats off, Miss Congeniality...

Evan
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
you meant impurities... i try to drink a gallon of water every day. i have to use the toilet every half hour but i feel great

Evan
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
How is my profile, Gayle?

Rigmaster
04-02-2006, 08:59 PM
WRONG!

*dont burn yourself

Where's my BS flag when I need it?????

Distilled water is NOT anything magic or exotic. Didn't you guys ever take HS chemistry?? We used to distill all sorts of things, you could tell when things were boiling out by using a thermometer, when it hit a plateau, it was boiling out whatever boils at that temp, then the temp would rise again until it hit another plateau, etc, etc.

Distilled water is water that has been "purified" by boiling it, then capturing the steam ("distilling")- cooling the steam and then you have the purified distilled water. Impurities that were in the water are, for the most part, left behind, or boiled out and discarded (if they have a lower boiling point than water).

Damn, I guess I didn't sleep through all those years of HS and college......

Bret.

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 09:26 PM
you missed that episode huh?

If you microwave a glass with water, when you take it out it will explode, due to superheating. Confirmed If the water had no impurities in it at the time of superheating, then any sort of additive placed within will make the water explode violently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_episodes:_Season_1

Why you call me on stuff, just to make me research?

Where's my BS flag when I need it?????

Distilled water is NOT anything magic or exotic. Didn't you guys ever take HS chemistry?? We used to distill all sorts of things, you could tell when things were boiling out by using a thermometer, when it hit a plateau, it was boiling out whatever boils at that temp, then the temp would rise again until it hit another plateau, etc, etc.

Distilled water is water that has been "purified" by boiling it, then capturing the steam ("distilling")- cooling the steam and then you have the purified distilled water. Impurities that were in the water are, for the most part, left behind, or boiled out and discarded (if they have a lower boiling point than water).

Damn, I guess I didn't sleep through all those years of HS and college......

Bret.

Gayle
04-02-2006, 09:41 PM
How is my profile, Gayle?

Just great. You might want put the mileage on also. Certain stuff tends to break or need to be replaced in particular mileage ranges so having that in your profile will help people help you.

Rigmaster
04-03-2006, 03:20 AM

If you microwave a glass with water, when you take it out it will explode, due to superheating. Confirmed If the water had no impurities in it at the time of superheating, then any sort of additive placed within will make the water explode violently.

Yep, I did miss that episode, but what does it have to do with my point?

Distilled water is NOT magic or exotic.

It's still just water!

:P

Rustam
04-03-2006, 04:09 AM

Regal you should not trust that show - it serves better as an entertainment show rather than a source of knowledge. A lot of things are done not scientfically but bone-headedly - not to criticise the show but to stress the point - they are entertaining. Things that they do can be resolved with a piece of paper and a pencil in few minutes - but there is nothing entertaining in that to general public.

The water explodes not when you "take it out" but when you "move it" which incidentally happens when you "take it out"... Superheating occurs simply because the microwave oven delivers energy at higher rate than the water can trasfer by boiling thats why the energy turns latent. This by no means supports the notion that distilled water boils at higher temperature... 300 degrees C? That's laughable!...

Interesting note - the opposite of superheating is supercooling which upon disturbung the water makes it instantaneously turn into ice.

I like the show as means of entertainment but not as definitive scientific source to general public.

Rustam
04-03-2006, 04:13 AM
Distilled water is NOT magic or exotic.

It's still just water!

:P

And essentially, it's just filtered water... So last time when I flushed the coolant from my car I went to local supermarket and looked for "Poland Spring", "Evian", "Deer Park"...

joshua43214
04-03-2006, 08:10 AM
hi,

Distilled water is not just boiled water, as the name implies it has been diSTILLED. originaly this was boiling the water on a closed system and condensing the steam in a still. this can be done by placing the water in a vacuum instead of boiling. heavy impurities (lead,iron,salt etc.) wont boil off, so if you boil water in a kettle you have made the water more impure since the pure water has boiled off leaving the impurities behind. You do have sterile water though suitable for giving to the midwife at a birthing session.

Get distilled water at a grocery store or buy 5gallon jugs at a place that sells water for office water coolers.

P.S. normal filtered water is the same as what comes from your tap with an inline filter, it is not a substitute for distilled water. It will have the worst of the crud removed and any salt, but not iron or lead. this will not remove any impurities that are bound to the water molecule such as iron.

ryan roopnarine
04-03-2006, 09:44 AM

jeff, i don't have the letters Ch. E, or P.E. or BS. C behind my name yet, but people on this thread are taking aim and firing and hitting things other than the bullseye. you've obviously put a bit of thought into this idea about distilled water, and yeah, theoretically, it should do that. when i have time in a couple of days, ill take 30 minutes or an hour and write a response for you and PM it to you. i just have too many tests, things to examine and write about, and other things to do right now to give you an equitable response to your question.