PDA

View Full Version : Short Shift Install

mholbrook
04-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Just finished a short shift install using the kit from BMA. Basically the same as the SSK kit I think. Previously I had done this with my last 535 so it was a lot easier this time in most respects.

Sequence of events.

Remove shift knob by pulling straight up without hitting self in forehead.
--Carefully pull off leather boot.
--There are two clips toward the front (dash side) of shift surround. Press up through hole where boot was. There are two "clips" in the back that just slide into slots. If you break them, no big deal, it won't come up on you.
--Jack up driver side of car front with jackstand and rear with jack.
--There is one clip that you can push off with your fingers. Slide shift rod out of shifter hole.
--Go up top and get a couple screwdrivers and or some pry picks. There are two fingers of the ball cup that snap into the metal surround. Pull up on the shift lever and get the fingers to release. Look at the new cup to see how it works.
--Grease up the cup and lever and pop it into cup until it snaps in.
--Remove any old yellow bushings and install one bushing, slide shifter rod into hole in bottom of shifter. Install second bushing. Find a scredriver or any tool that will put some pressure on the shifter rod so you can use the one hand there is space for to attach the clip. Be sure clip is attached well.
--Put the shift rubber dust boot back on, the foam surround, the fancy wood surround and leather shift boot and shift knob back on.

Lower the car and go forth and enjoy. About a 1 hour job.

GoldenOne
04-02-2006, 01:12 PM
how much did the kit from BMA run you??? this is one of the mods I would like to do in the near future, sounds pretty straight forward too!

mholbrook
04-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I think it was under $70. Call Patrick and tell him Mike in Idaho sent you. He will take care of you. Really a good mod if you have a manual trans. You will never regret doing it. I think the shift lever I have is the E30M3 lever. It is plenty short enough.

Jay 535i
04-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Pics, please :D