PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and easy dash globe fix

wingman
04-02-2006, 04:39 AM
My climate control light back lighting had been out since I bought the car so today I decided to pull the globe out so I could order the right one. I went through the not insubstantial process of getting to it and realised i could probably fix it. I just happened to have a small 1.2w wedge-based globe (available from any car parts store), lying around so I pulled the original globe out of the holder (had to break the solder) and soldered the new globe in. It worked a treat! I know this seems a bit miserish but my nearest dealer is an hour away and if you can fix it on the spot for free why not. I'm just getting to grips with my new camera but the first pic is the wedge-based globe (with the holder in the background) 2nd pic is my newly illuminated climate controls. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/globe.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/P4020013.jpg

Jay 535i
04-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I went through the not insubstantial process of getting to it...

Tell me more about that part, please. I have the same problem. I've been wondering if I can get to it through the ashtray rather than removing the whole thing.

adamisbomb
04-02-2006, 03:53 PM
My OBC lights are dim and the knobs below it are all out as well...is this the same bulb?

wingman
04-03-2006, 02:25 AM
No the light for the for the OBC is different. If you have the same dials as mine there is a single globe in an enclosed unit which houses the dials. It quite simply pushes into the PCB and has to be turned to seat the connections. It can't be accessed from the ashtray as there is a roof to the ashtray area presumably to stop smoke and ash finding their way into the dials/rear of dash etc. The radio will have to come out and the the whole climate control panel. The single globe lights up both the temp dials, the fan speed dial and the little panel showing the settings for optimum demist. Once the radio is out it's a fairly simple process.

wingman
04-03-2006, 02:26 AM
please refer to reply below.