PDA

View Full Version : ((o:_:o)) dOg bOnes?

632 Regal
04-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Got a heavy clunk sound, kinda like somethings loose but its all good. Dogbones rubber looks trashed but I dont get the normal car wandering symptoms.

Do these things make niose when there shot?

Johntee540
04-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Mine did! no wander but really random clunking not directly associated with anything. It made me crazy looking for the noise. Best / Cheapest repair made to date. Tightened and quieted everything right up - JT

632 Regal
04-01-2006, 03:59 PM
thanks for the input, last year the rubber looked fine, today they look real worn.
as far as I can recall these are easy to replace, ant tricks to make it easier?

Mine did! no wander but really random clunking not directly associated with anything. It made me crazy looking for the noise. Best / Cheapest repair made to date. Tightened and quieted everything right up - JT

Dave M
04-01-2006, 04:04 PM
thanks for the input, last year the rubber looked fine, today they look real worn.
as far as I can recall these are easy to replace, ant tricks to make it easier?

Nope, they easy. Only trick is push real hard to get the new ones over the end of the sway.

Dave M

Alexlind123
04-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Dave, im confused, are you talking about the sway bar links or the dogbones?

Dave M
04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Dave, im confused, are you talking about the sway bar links or the dogbones?

Dogbones. Sorry about the pic size. The rear sway / dogbone is a tight fit. lube it up with something and push ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/dog_bone.jpg

Dave M

632 Regal
04-01-2006, 06:03 PM
my bad...apples and oranges.

I mean these things: 33321126476 #6 in the pic: This is what I thought dogbones were, the sway bar parts are tight as can be.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=33_0221&hg=33&fg=30

Alexlind123
04-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Thats what i thought dogbones are too...

Johntee540
04-01-2006, 07:03 PM
It couldnt be easier. I used a box end on the top bolt and socket/ratchet on the bottom bolt of the frame side Bolts. think the hardest part of the job is getting the car jacked up on stands - JT

wingman
04-01-2006, 07:04 PM
These are the ones you're talking about aren't they. I've recently done mine and found them quite a nuisance but not that difficult. I found getting the right hand side one harder to get lined up than the left (exhaust) side. They are pliable (the rubbers not the arms) and you will have to line them up by manipulating the rubbers. Also be sure to check which way up they go and where the washers go by remembering how the old ones came out Good luck. It took me about 1.5 hrs to do with basic tools. One final thing. They DO NOT need to be torqued under load.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/rearcontrolarmcopy.jpg

Johntee540
04-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Thats is different than the Dogbones in the REar TRailing arms. -JT

mholbrook
04-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Put the car on jackstands, then you can use the jack to lift the rear arm up to make the install a snap on both sides. Takes about an hour to do both sides.

Dave M
04-02-2006, 04:36 AM
now I''m confused

DueyT
04-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Dave, you were talking about the swaybar link, Jeff was talking about the pitman arms (a.k.a. dog-bones). Jeff, if you look at your replacements and the originals, you will see that they are not symmetrical, on side is flatter, and one side has a slightly deeper curve to it...don't quote me, but when I replaced mine (easy, about 1 hour for both sides, as noted) I think it was flatter side towards the front of the car. Just check to see which way your originals are and repeat when you R&R them.

Cheers,
Duey

joshua43214
04-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Hmmm ok now im confused too, can we start over? the nylon things that look like dogbones are sway bar links. the metal things that look like dogbones in the rear suspension are pitman arms (dunno how BMW got that translation). A dog bone is a thing you get from a pet store and give to your Dog so it wont eat your furniture.

Please give an accurate description of the noise, starting with what end of car it comes from and when it occurs.

bad sway bar link will cause thunk,clunk,rattle but wont cause wandering.
bad pitman arms will cause clunk,rattle and will cause misalignment.
bad dogbones will cause a whining sound from behind the couch.

BTW if you go to the part store and ask for a pitman arm he will give you a steering part, if you ask for a dog bone, he will give you a motor strut. If you go to a locomotive parts store and ask for a pitman arm, they will give you the thing that turns the wheels on a steam locomotive. If you go to a petshop and order a pitman arm, they will give you a dumb look.