PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Valve Cover Gasket -- Any advice?

miliue
04-01-2006, 12:15 PM
My indy told me my valve cover gasket is leaking. So, in the interest of saving money, I've decided to do it myself.

Problem is, the Bentley manual doesn't mention the valve cover gasket at all.

I've got the gasket, and a set of six circular gaskets that I'm assuming are injector gaskets.

Does anyone have a link to a step by step for replacing the valve cover gasket in an M50 engine? Or does the Bentley manual call it something different?

My hope is to get this done tomorrow as I'm going on a long drive next thursday. Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Martin in Bellevue
04-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Those 6 quarter sized ring gaskets are for the spark plug holes. This is a straightforward task. Be careful with the coils & replace the plugs while there.
The v8's have been known to leak, shorting coils & sometimes taking the dme's out with them. It was a hella job on the wife's x5, removing the valve covers. There isn't much room.

miliue
04-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Those 6 quarter sized ring gaskets are for the spark plug holes. This is a straightforward task. Be careful with the coils & replace the plugs while there.
The v8's have been known to leak, shorting coils & sometimes taking the dme's out with them. It was a hella job on the wife's x5, removing the valve covers. There isn't much room.

Cool. I found some instructions on changing the valve cover gasket on an e36 from Pelican Parts. The engines look pretty much the same, so I imagine most of it will either be the same or really close. It doesn't look like much of a job, which is what I was hoping for.

Kalevera
04-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Buy the parts from the dealer. Have recently been hearing stories about the worldpac sealing grommets and gaskets going bad after a year of use. Can't confirm manufacturer yet, but a quick look shows one generic part and a Reinz part; Reinz may be OE, but still. Dealer parts should last at least a few years.

best, whit