PDA

View Full Version : I picked up one of these mothers today / parting a turbo car

Kalevera
03-31-2006, 11:32 PM
As if it couldn't get any worse....

http://home.austin.rr.com/bmw745i/images/Turbo.gif

I snagged one of these last weekend on the 'bay, car still attached, and my buddy Ian delivered it today. Pete and I went in on it, cause he's crazy enough to drive an E23 (and jones a rear sway bar and euro bumpers bad enough to buy a parts car for them) and I'm happy to get an M106, especially the pistons and rods, for a fraction of what similar parts would cost new.

Looks like it was a fun car at some point -- pics to come. Now aptly named the Al Qaeda JihadiMobile due to the arabic scripted dealer sticker on the back...guess it was imported from one of those countries. Has rear power seats and a few other goodies. By the way, did you know that BMW is the car of choice for middle eastern car bombers?

The turbo kit will be for sale. Don't know the condition of the blower itself yet, but everything else looks great. I'm keeping the block and probably the head.

best, whit

genphreak
04-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Nice work... you will be having fun!!!

Whit has much gotta be done to an m30 e34 to retrofit the e23 turbo setup? It is defaintely my preferred option. I expect a standalone ECU will be mandatory (and will be in place in my case anyway), but really one may need to do pistons and make the right changes to the valves and head to boot, is there any chance you can let us know what has to be changed (what the differences are) between a M3045 head and the standard (but later B35) when you are done? AFAIK the block is the (more or lesss) the same?

Knowing what is necessary to do the work would be great. Thing for me is I still can't work out if the e23 manifold would fit on a RHD e34... Cheers and good luck, :) Nick

BigKriss
04-01-2006, 04:31 AM
There's some good information in these pages here;

http://home.austin.rr.com/bmw745i/

I don't like the idea of retrofitting an e23 745i kit. I used to think it was a good idea but your dealing with old technology and an inefficient design. It's not for me.

rob101
04-01-2006, 04:50 AM
al qaeda jihad mobile, lol mate no wonder that islamic dude from egypt left this board. where did you get that info about bmws being the car of choice for car bombers?

PS have any of you guys seen a south african 745i in the US?

Kalevera
04-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, I don't intend to use the FI components from this car. I believe the stock M106 has 8:1 compression, with beefed up rods and jets to direct oil spray at the piston skirts. I've been told that the M30B35/S38 variant blocks, when new, have these bosses -- have yet to confirm. The rods and pistons alone save a few grand on an engine build, and tons of people (credible or not) have used the bottom end of the M106 as a starting point.

best, whit

MBXB
04-01-2006, 09:35 AM
The article about BMW as car of choice by car bombers was in the Roundel a few years back.

If anyone can post a copy that would be great.

genphreak
04-01-2006, 04:32 PM
There's some good information in these pages here;

http://home.austin.rr.com/bmw745i/

I don't like the idea of retrofitting an e23 745i kit. I used to think it was a good idea but your dealing with old technology and an inefficient design. It's not for me. Yes thanks Kriss, great info indeed.

That page is new to me, and old (like me :D Maybe that's why I think it looks like so much fun...)

I don't think the turbo is terribly old tech, at the time it was pretty advanced- sure the turbo itself is old but how different isa T05? The M30 knock sensor configuration stuff they post on the site is detailed, the knock controller and so on- that's gold!

Very rare here in Australia (ie as imports only) The more I think about it the more I would really like an M106 w/megasquirt in my e34. It'd be nice if someone had measured out the cam though, without the specs on that we're pretty in the dark when they wear out. Getting a new one would be tough, a decent regrind (tougher?), and using something else on a low compressions motor.... well those guys used an old 733 cam - I guess it could be done (but finding a good one of those would be getting tough also)

Whit I hope you can take the time to measure that cam out carefully whatever you do... these puppies will be all gone soon and the info could get dead and buried...

I believe it is possible that the heads have slightly different chambers sizes too, I read that they have different casting markings to the head on a B35. I wonder if we can buy the knock sensors from BMW...

:) Nick