PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ford Focus lighting issue, one side missing 'parking' illumination! Life or death

Qube
03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, it's my lady's birthday tomorrow and she always wanted aftermarket tails for her 2000 Focus Hatchback so I got them off Fleabay. Should be a 10 minute job, right? After installing, I noticed things weren't lighting up properly so I remove them and check the wiring. On the right (passenger side), the Major and Minor signal wires were reversed (oh joy). Ok. I fix it and still problems.

Ok so I reinstall the factory tail lights. Uh oh.

I now notice these symptoms:

1. turning the 'parking' lights on only lights up the driver's side (eg. tail, centerfront, sidefront)
2. all brake lights work fully
3. turn signal drivers works fine
4. turn signal passenger works BUT the front center/side now blinks SAME time instead of alternating!

Any assistance will be helpful, so I can get it fixed or explained before she finds out!

Qube
03-31-2006, 10:36 PM
UPDATE: I was wondering why there were so few fuses underneath the hood... going to check the fusebox under the steering column when I get back out... RE: http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33253&highlight=light+fuse+tail

I feel like a noob indy that looks at our bimmer's and says "Hey! You have no battery!"

Qube
04-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Well I figured what the problem was. After going over the (very simple) wiring, I finally noticed that the damn bulb only had ONE filament (wrong type)! What the heck kind of quality control is that?!? How the heck can they get that wrong? Needless to say, aftermarket IS aftermarket. Bah.

Paul in NZ
04-01-2006, 01:16 AM
the main thing is your pride ,life and honour has been preserved

Jon K
04-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Thats ok - when I first did my HIDs oh so long ago, I turned them on and they worked! How sweet! Then 2 or so minutes after the one went out, then the other. Thinking I just blew up a $700 HID kid somehow, I was freaked. I looked at the fuses and the 7.5A LOOKED fine, but the filament is so thin it was actually broken and I didn't realize :) So about 3 hrs of checking my wiring, I realized I had blown the fuses :( Went to 15A then after