PDA

View Full Version : LED tail lights

rockyfeller
03-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Nobody shoot me.....Just curious. Wondering if anyone has these on their car yet?? I thought something like this would be interesting though I must say the LEDs are spaced out too much and I wonder how bright they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-95-94-93-BMW-E34-5-SERIES-530i-535i-TAIL-LIGHTS-LED_W0QQitemZ8050708999QQcategoryZ33713QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-95-BMW-E34-SEDAN-RED-CLEAR-LED-TAIL-LIGHT-530i-535i_W0QQitemZ8050733744QQcategoryZ33716QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Johntee540
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Wont those trigger "Light Out" messages on the OBC? - JT

CharlesAFerg
03-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Anyone think they will set off that indication? Doesn't that work by detecting the amount of feedback or something? I am curious because they look quite snazzy in my opinion. :-D
-Charles

dacoyote
03-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Wont those trigger "Light Out" messages on the OBC? - JT

Yes they will

Jay 535i
03-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Nobody shoot me.....

Bang.

genphreak
03-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Bang. **Incoming!!!**

The LED tails are a damn good idea, but those are too short on LEDs IMHO, and they still have a coloured bulb in the indicator. Its a great way to turn a nice e34 design into what looks like a cheap 3-series look-alike. It might be slightly up to date, but it'll be out next year- when Subaru release a new tinted crystal LED cluster that allows for even more copious use of plastic when it is almost completely unnecessary.

If you compare that to an M3 tail, its at got at least half as many LEDs.

I feel sorry for the first person to stump up for them and admit to it on the board- the reactions will be mixed at best. I think they could be termed 'okay', but really they just aren't good enough- its such a comprimise to buy this stuff when they could have made it properly and then be selling heaps.

Like I said, the next version will be all LED, and perhaps even better (me hopes). :) Nick

That vendors fuel pressure regulators look nice, but no doubt they are chinese ****.

Jon K
04-01-2006, 08:16 AM
I was just driving on the PA turn pike for about 1.5 hrs yesterday chilling at a comfy 70 mph and a acura or something came on my left cruising next to me. He had OEM LED tails, and they looked SICK in the "on" position. When braking they were bright as ****, and just cruising they were just perfect in brightness and visibility. I don't think they belong on our cars, but they look nice and are pretty functional too.

You can just add resistors to simulate the bulbs guys....

Jay 535i
04-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, they do look great on new cars, and that's where they belong. Nothin' wrong with what we've got. You don't want to look like you're trying too hard.

CharlesAFerg
04-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Sometimes I think the clear corners have that affect... But thats just me.

genphreak
04-01-2006, 04:46 PM
I was just driving on the PA turn pike.... I don't think they belong on our cars, but they look nice and are pretty functional too. I just wish they'd stop making them look like late m3 tails- the e34 design is just perfect for the e34... I just wish they'd sell LED versions done properly. Why the hell are Hella and Bosch not lighting the way and putting these fools (Depo and the like) out of business?

Incantation
04-01-2006, 08:09 PM
not sure there is anything that could be done to the e34 to make it look contemporary enough to pull off those lights

Rustam
04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
not sure there is anything that could be done to the e34 to make it look contemporary enough to pull off those lights

shot should be you for failing to recognize the timelessness of these lines...:(

CharlesAFerg
04-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I saw an M3 with those tail lights, and I agree, definately not enough LEDs. Not even a third as many on these. Someonebody should make some good ones, then I would buy them. Most definately a good idea regardless.
-Charles

Incantation
04-02-2006, 12:43 AM
what are u talkin about genius?

Alexlind123
04-02-2006, 01:03 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=timelessness

sKilled
04-02-2006, 04:10 AM
shot should be you for failing to recognize the timelessness of these lines...:(

So true - my neighbour (who owns an early 2000 7series) didn't believe I had a '91. Quote "...it looks a lot younger than that." Nuff said.

Incantation
04-02-2006, 12:30 PM
you guys don't understand what i said. all mods have their place depending on what else has been done to the car, and my point was that i don't think there are any mods that would make the car look "new" enough for those LED lights to fit

they wouldn't even suit my e34, which looks the newest of any i've seen on this particular forum.

Jon K
04-02-2006, 12:41 PM
you guys don't understand what i said. all mods have their place depending on what else has been done to the car, and my point was that i don't think there are any mods that would make the car look "new" enough for those LED lights to fit

they wouldn't even suit my e34, which looks the newest of any i've seen on this particular forum.

It does?

McWatters
04-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Haha id say Jon K and Incantations are the newest lookin, (Jons Interior is ****in rediculous, Incantaion has nice exterior mods. Dont get me wrong alot of cars on here look dam new. Like Jay's

cheers

J.McWatters

Scott H
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM
eyebrows, a shovel lip, non-OE looking angel eyes, fake M mirrors with built in turn signals, E60 wheels, etc do nothing to make the E34 modern..... NOTHING can modernize the body style. I don't think your car looks any more "modern" than anyone elses.

In many opinions, you've actually bastardized your car....

with all the money spent on mods to make the E34 look more current, you might as well go buy an E46.

When my neighbor saw my M5 this morning he asked me what year it was. I told him it would be 16 years old in June......he said it looks brand new, what have you done to it?....nothing that you can see on the outside except the hella euro lamps/yellow hella fog lenses, and it sits a bit nicer with the Dinan suspension and staggared t-stars.

....they wouldn't even suit my e34, which looks the newest of any i've seen on this particular forum.

Alexlind123
04-02-2006, 01:17 PM

I think its actually quite the opposite, Adam. Those LED lights would blend perefectly with your eyebrows, mirrors and spaceship wheels. Go for it.

Incantation
04-02-2006, 04:44 PM
so you guys pull your socks up to your knees? or what's the deal here lmfao

Incantation
04-02-2006, 04:46 PM
shut it nerd. unless you have something constructive to say

Jon K
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
i wear crew socks

ajt3nc
04-02-2006, 10:25 PM
i wear crew socks
With sandals?:)

Alexlind123
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
so you guys pull your socks up to your knees? or what's the deal here lmfao

Not quite...

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/asdfs1.JPG

angrypancake
04-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Not quite...

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/asdfs1.JPG

damn, grampa...

Jon K
04-02-2006, 11:30 PM
With sandals?:)

with flippers.

rockyfeller
04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Lol!!!

rockyfeller
04-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I agree with you INC. I like some of your mods and I'm all for the updated look. I may not like everything but that's your taste and expression of how you want your car to look. At least nothing is cheesy, blingy, japaneese looking or gaudy. I'll make fun of that too. Dunno why you cool guys with your blend in the crowd total OEM cars are so proud of not having any personality. But I also am not sure of LEDs place on our cars.

There's no substitute for seeing what it ACTUALLY looks like from a picture. That's what I'm looking for. People can rip on something they haven't seen all day. If a person who actually bought it says it looks like and is made like crap, that's the word I'll take.

DueyT
04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
At least the colour is right for all the sections...not those "white in the middle" ones that make it look like a soccor-mom's Volvo! :p

ThoreauHD
04-03-2006, 07:16 PM
My reason for being here is that among the BMW models, I think this model is the most classic epitome of BMW in form and function. Call it a gut feeling. Because of that I use OEM parts and keep everything in top form in its original condition. And I do this because I know that in 15 years it'll be the 57 chevy of it's time. And 57 chevy's with LED lights and fins on the ceiling and spinner rims looks like a pimp-mobile rather than a classic.

But this is my goal. Some folks want this model to look as modern as possible. I think that's neat too, but it does not stand the test of time from what I've seen of any model of automobile. This is because new is old within a year. If you think that the new thing that you've constructed will last, then go for it. But, I side with those that favor the original construct. This reminds me of a little poem,

SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

It's just about where you want to be at the end of the day.

rockyfeller
04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
I too think the E34 is the epitome of classic BMW too. Deep poem Thoreau. Never thought someone could use such thoughtful words for a tail-light discussion. Talent.